Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons?
Quote | Reply
I was doing some self reflection this morning, and realized that in a way, I feel obligated to do triathlons.

I enjoy swimming.
I enjoy running.
I think cycling is a blast.
I've been blessed with natural gifts in each.

Ipso Facto, I feel like I am pushing myself to do them because I would be wasting my natural ability if I didn't. Seems like a bad reason when I say it out loud. Just because I can go out, train a bit, and beat most of my (slow) AG, doesn't mean I should.

Anyone else feel obligated to do this because they're healthy and can? Is that wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do it because i can't stick with one sport........ and this 'one sport' is really three sports. when i get sick of riding my bike a lot, i run a lot, when i get sick of swimming a lot i bike a lot........ and so goes my triathlon 'training'

all of it is because when i get fat and weak my supply of SEX dries up........

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a challenge, one that doesn't go away, even when setting a new PB.
It's good for me - I'm in the best shape of my life and am about 40lb lighter than the weight I peaked at about 5 years ago. So, it has made me good-looking.
I like my triathlon club friends. They're positive, encouraging, good people.
Long hours of training allow me to relax and forget about other stressors in my life.
And, to be completely honest, I take pride in the fact that I'm doing something most people can't/won't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel more alive when I'm running, cycling, and swimming than in anything else I do. That's it.

EDIT: and it allows be to consume way more tacos than if I was sedentary.

--------------------------------
Swim. Bike. Run. Tacos. Not always in that order.
@ryan_hurley
Last edited by: swarles84: Apr 6, 11 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
all of it is because when i get fat and weak my supply of SEX dries up........

Now THAT is completely understandable.

Marlonius wrote:
Long hours of training allow me to relax and forget about other stressors in my life.

This is an excellent point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it because I can. For me, tri's are a celebration of life. When my mom was my age Parkinsons Disease was just starting to show up. You never know when it will be taken away, so you better suck up as much life as you can while you can.

Kind of like voluntarily shaving your head when you are young. You never know when you are going to go bald, why waste the years of hair?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a runner at heart, but I don't think I could ever be a great runner (say, world class). I could always be a better runner, but the path to that is pretty cut and dry. Run more - run faster - run smarter. In many ways, multisport is a mind game. You have to figure out the optimal balance between strengths and weaknesses, and they're always changing. I find the strategizing just as fun as the physical activity itself - though at times keeping up with personal expectations seems laborious and takes some of the fun out of it. I also think that over the years the cross-training has made me a better runner, both in terms of discipline and physical capacity.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
related thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=rcmioga;#3192439

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me, the challenge. I've been a decent athlete my whole life but never had any direction or focus. I never could focus on just one sport as I would get bored after a while; however, triathlon is broad enough and more than enough challenge that I don't get bored.

Plus I love to train, more so than actually racing. Training allows me to not think about anything else except the next lap, the next mile or the next step.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyday I train for triathlon it's a challenge. The races are a reason to face those challenges everyday.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because it's fun!

I talked to an 83 year old guy at a race (he finished MOP, btw) and I decided right then that I want to get to be 83 and still doing this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because I enjoy cycling but don't have enough talent to crush many dreams at bike racing

by spreading my lack of talent across 3 sports evenly and a racing a bunch of moms trying to lose weight I can crush many dreams

%FTP wrote:
I was doing some self reflection this morning, and realized that in a way, I feel obligated to do triathlons.

I enjoy swimming.
I enjoy running.
I think cycling is a blast.
I've been blessed with natural gifts in each.

Ipso Facto, I feel like I am pushing myself to do them because I would be wasting my natural ability if I didn't. Seems like a bad reason when I say it out loud. Just because I can go out, train a bit, and beat most of my (slow) AG, doesn't mean I should.

Anyone else feel obligated to do this because they're healthy and can? Is that wrong?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Because I enjoy cycling but don't have enough talent to crush many dreams at bike racing

by spreading my lack of talent across 3 sports evenly and a racing a bunch of moms trying to lose weight I can crush many dreams

So true. Triathlons make me feel like I am good at riding a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm like Fatty McGee......."But I like the stairs.....they're FUUUN!"

Plus training allows me to drink the beer I like.
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like racing. Grew up racing motocross, raced motorcycles. This is just more racing. And basically what jackmott said....

jackmott wrote:

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. i don't like to jiggle
2. i was a swimmer and this is the most fun way to keep it up.

....that's what she said.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
Because, I can now out run/cycle/swim my old World of Warcraft obsessed self when the IRL zombies come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It keeps me in shape, no thats a lie, I wasnt in shape but it makes me get in shape :)
I like the kit, sad but true. I can wear tight lycra, shoes with flags on them and a lid that looks like somethig from star wars (or smurfs if worn wrong).
I love the personal challenge
You see the funniest things! billion trillion $ bikes with engines on them that are not running high octane gas. I get to go to hot countries to train and race. I get "free" t shirts, I get to spends more hours on ST than working and last but most importantly medals...shiny and lovely...now detroy me )

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

Give yourself some credit. According to a friend who's been bike racing since before I could ride a bike, talent only comes into play once you get to cat 2. Below that it's just dedication, experience, and not racing like a total moron. I'm just starting to figure out the 3rd part of that and suddenly cat 4 is starting to look like the collection of slow hacks that it is. And given some of your times you've posted on here you've definitely got more talent than me.
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always been a decent athlete, I like the challenge of beating my previous times.

I like to eat and enjoy good beers, when I dont train I get fat. And like someone said when training I can think of other things and sometimes solve small problems

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gbot wrote:
And given some of your times you've posted on here you've definitely got more talent than me.

or my position and tt equipment is just off the hizzy

I do think I can manage to win a cat 5 race before I cat up. 5 more chances!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To look good naked.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My big brother made me do it - really! Until then I was "just" a runner. Could not swim at all, and biking was just... transportation. Plus it gives me a good excuse to buy neat stuff! Hard to say if I prefer the training or the racing.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
gbot wrote:
And given some of your times you've posted on here you've definitely got more talent than me.

or my position and tt equipment is just off the hizzy

I do think I can manage to win a cat 5 race before I cat up. 5 more chances!

In my still limited experience, the secret to winning at the 4 or 5 level is realizing that in a field of 40 starters, there are realistically only going to be 5-10 guys actually out gunning for the win. Most everyone else is happy to just spin around, maybe take a pull or two, and finish in the group. Aggressive tactics are rewarded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it so I can put all those stickers in the back window of my truck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next