Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, did anyone test the TYR carbon trisuit? I'm assuming it would not be as good as the PI or any suit with sleeves (assuming no wrinkles!), but just wondering if TYR carbon producing less drag than a non-carbon trisuit.

Also, I just read the CEP and Zoot calf compression sleeves may be beneficial, any input on arm sleeves? I've raced with them before during cold weather, but had no idea they would impact drag positively or negatively.

Any input is appreciated and thank you for sharing all this information.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
good to know. I was going to get medium but at 5"10 and 150 -155 I expect the fit will not be tight enough. I'll give small a go.

I'm 6'-0" and around 155 and I went with the small. The legs/torso fit tightly but I'm getting some bunching in the shoulders. I may look into getting it tailored or experimenting with some glue product as someone previously mentioned. Maybe I should start lifting just to fill out the suit. Tags are still on so I haven't committed yet. This thread has me questioning my purchase. Damn science.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Last edited by: santino314: Feb 2, 14 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [smarty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge no one specifically tested a TYR suit. Now someone may have been using that as their suit they were testing in, which is completely different.

Calf sleeves may be faster. I know one person tested them and they were not but I've also talked to people who tested and found them to be faster. I think the verdict is still Maybe. I suspect it's also individualized. It was on my list to test but I ran out of my allotted time. When I test again they are on the list.

I don't know anyone who has ever tested arm warmers or sleeves. I think we'd have to infer from the suits and predict what may happen. But lots of skin suits have sleeves and we know skin is slow. I think the skin suits that are out there could be much faster given some of the stuff I learned.

I think if you get the texturing correct, especially on the bicep/upper arm area they have the potential to be faster.

Round cylinders are slow and guess what a lot of our arms act like when we are in the aero bars? We know texturing around cylinders can delay boundary layer separation & reduce the size of the wake region.

But I think for now with the arm sleeves that are out there it's a roll of the dice. This would be something interesting to test though. If you have specific ones you are thinking about PM me those brands. When I test I can put those on the list. I'll do some runs wearing them if I have time.

When it's 40-50F out and if it's going to be raining, maybe especially if it's going to be raining, I think staying warm may be more important than shivering.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
good to know. I was going to get medium but at 5"10 and 150 -155 I expect the fit will not be tight enough. I'll give small a go.

I'm similar and got the small after trying on a small and medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a small.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smarty wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did anyone test the TYR carbon trisuit? I'm assuming it would not be as good as the PI or any suit with sleeves (assuming no wrinkles!), but just wondering if TYR carbon producing less drag than a non-carbon trisuit.

Also, I just read the CEP and Zoot calf compression sleeves may be beneficial, any input on arm sleeves? I've raced with them before during cold weather, but had no idea they would impact drag positively or negatively.

Any input is appreciated and thank you for sharing all this information.

I'm guessing that the "carbon" bit is a little tongue in cheek?

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I was curious. Maybe it's a silly question, but this aero testing information is new to me and I'm trying to learn what's good / what's not. The TYR carbon is the same material used for the Team USA uniform and they fit extremely tight. I like the material and was considering purchasing a black/red one for local races until I started reading about the PI Octane and other aero clothing coming soon. However, I would hate to waste watt on poor clothing choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smarty wrote:
Actually, I was curious. Maybe it's a silly question, but this aero testing information is new to me and I'm trying to learn what's good / what's not. The TYR carbon is the same material used for the Team USA uniform and they fit extremely tight. I like the material and was considering purchasing a black/red one for local races until I started reading about the PI Octane and other aero clothing coming soon. However, I would hate to waste watt on poor clothing choices.

I have one but the only "carbon" that is on there is the little black specs in the white mesh. I think it is supposed to keep you cooler or some non-sense. At any rate, I think the material is pretty similar to most high end trisuits. The material is woven not knit so it is a bit less stretchy, more compressive and sheds water a touch better. I'm sure it would work fine. If you can find a Pearl suit that fits well in the shoulders and sleeves get it. I do have a feeling that more and more companies are going to be producing short sleeve suits since the market is starting to demand it. The question is will they actually be faster or not.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, thanks for the response, I appreciate the feedback. I use the Moeben running arm sleeves, I'm just amazed covering skin can make such a difference. Also, wanted to give a shout out to you and everyone about the LG P09 findings. I just ordered that helmet for my wife and I yesterday, hoping that we fall within the 80% group that it tested faster for!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried on a friends size small Tri Octane suit yesterday. For reference I'm 5'7, 140lbs and it was really tight. The fabric is like nothing I've ever worn (Desoto, TYR, 2xu) it is insanely thin and actually feels like skin. The attention to detail in the seams is also amazing.

That said I did notice 2-3 small creases around the biceps area when in the aero position. For the guys that tested the suit, is this normal? The creases weren't huge but I'd certainly be interested in hearing your opinion on the suit fit around the biceps.

Cheers,
Ender
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Feb 19, 14 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Tried on a friends size small Tri Octane suit yesterday. For reference I'm 5'7, 140lbs and it was really tight. The fabric is like nothing I've ever worn (Desoto, TYR, 2xu) it is insanely thin and actually feels like skin. The attention to detail in the seams is also amazing.

That said I did notice 2-3 small creases around the biceps area when in the aero position. For the guys that tested the suit, is this normal? The creases weren't huge but I'd certainly be interested in hearing your opinion on the suit fit around the biceps.

Cheers,
Ender

Depends on the size of your arms really. I had a few creases which is normal, but mostly in the should bend area. Brian had significantly more. He's taller and weighs around 155-60 and wore a small. It tested pretty poorly on him but great on me.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Heath. The only creases noticeable are in the bicep area around the "armpitish area and they aren't huge". I think it's a result of the extra material in the armpit area which will allow for swimming and running. All that said, it feels pretty damn sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us anything about Aero Camp [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your definition of tight must be really loose? I'm 5'10" 165lbs and wear the Octane small. It's a bitch to get the suit up over my shoulders, but once its on its on. Yes does feel like a layer of skin.