Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, congratulations! You made the race a totally different one and exciting to watch. Get a distant supporter in Kona.
1- what your nutrition during the bike and run(cal/h; kind(gel/gel in water/bar...); how you carry with on the bike)??
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
What is your race day nutrition?
Your race was very impressive. Fun to follow as you pushed Ryf through a long day.

Thanks!!

I am partnered with F2C nutrition- PM for a promo on that if you'd like.

I formulate my own bottles with their Glyco-Durance (mango was the flavor I used but my fav is Green Apple). It's malt-dextrin as the fuel source. I had two bottles of 50g carbs with 175mg sodium. Then I made 2 concentrate bottles 1-150g carb, 525 mg sodium and 1- 200g carb and 600mg sodium bottle. I went through the entirety of that on the bike while drinking 1 bottle for each 50 g carbs. I also grabbed a couple bananas off the bike course. It was my first time doing that but I had cramping issues through the swim so was trying to figure those out and settle them before the run. On the run I did 8 gels and water and as much ice as I could grab.

After the race, anything I can find!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotthb wrote:
Congrats! what a day you had!! It ever slip into your head that you had her?

Nope, It's never over till it's over right? I had over 10 min lead in IMNZ and didn't feel like I "had it" till I was running down that finishing shoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a fantastic race! You made a lot of fans by going toe to toe with the best in the world, including me. It's rare that the top two stay so close together during a race, which made it exciting to watch. I'll definitely be pulling for you at Kona.

Why did you decide to pass Daniella on the bike when you did?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! AT 4 calories per carb and ~100 calories per banana that is 2,000 calories!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
Your bike fit is one of the best I have seen on the women's side of things. You looked really aero, which I first noticed when I saw pictures of you racing in New Zealand. How has your fit changed from when you started? How hard was it to get used to riding with your hands up? You raced an awesome race and I was so hoping you would pull off the win. Congrats on 2nd.

Thanks! That was curtesy of Jim at ERO in California and Frank of MorfTech. Frank showed me the value of being aero and Jim helped me get there. Before Frank passed away this year he said "I want you to be the most aerodynamic woman out there. No one on the women's side really cares about aerodynamics, there's no Cody Beals that is a woman. I want you to be that."

I have a post on my Insta it was number 6 of my 12 days leading into TX post. It's a picture of my set up here as an amateur in 2014 vs. IMNZ 2019. It's shocking to say the least. Sorry I'm not SlowTwitch savvy enough to post that here. The most change I've had is the beginning of this year. I dropped the front more then 3cm, 155 cranks vs 165, saddle back, and on the morfbars with a 32 degree angle. I've had a mantis position for a while and it has just continuously crept up more. It's lots more comfortable to me then straight arms! I even sometimes will rest my head on my hands.

And thanks for the congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to ask you if you might, instead of slaying a dragon poked a bear, since she said in a recent interview she still plays that Rinny passing her in Kona 2014 in head almost every run for motivation. Maybe it'll be you from now on passing her on the bike.....

Same tactic in Kona? Would awesome to see and I say that as a Swiss resident and Ryf fan since 2014 when she passed me flying in Switzerland 70.3. By the way, that is a race she seems to do every year, in case some more head to heads would be fun for you.....[/quote]
I will be doing my Kona prep on the IMTX course so I'll be replaying the pass she made to me on the run in my head quite a lot. Even on the build to this race I knew it was coming down to a foot race. I remember there was a very hard long run I had and I didn't feel good the whole time. For about the last 90 min I kept saying "Ryf, Ryf, Ryf..." under my breath.

It all depends on how the race plays out in terms of tactics! I be doing my best to make it an interesting race for sure! To me Ryf is so dominant and knows a billion ways how to win!

Thanks for the suggestion! I am limited on my racing schedule as I don't race Sundays for religious reasons! So I was so happy to see her here in America on a Saturday race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Rommelreno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rommelreno wrote:
First, congratulations! You made the race a totally different one and exciting to watch. Get a distant supporter in Kona.
1- what your nutrition during the bike and run(cal/h; kind(gel/gel in water/bar...); how you carry with on the bike)??

Just answered in a previous post!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Congratulations on a fantastic race! You made a lot of fans by going toe to toe with the best in the world, including me. It's rare that the top two stay so close together during a race, which made it exciting to watch. I'll definitely be pulling for you at Kona.

Why did you decide to pass Daniella on the bike when you did?

I saw my family right before that and my sister said “make your move”. To be honest when I’m in race mode I just go and execute so I thought “oh, ok why not?” I also found myself after I got a little boost from their cheers that I had almost crept into the draft zone. I wanted to be very clear I executed a fair race and so made the pass for the remaining miles. Sorry, not a super interesting reason!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to everyone, note jocelyn's reference to her QR and to jim at ERO. we don't have jocelyn's bike on slowtwitch - yet! - but here are a number of other athletes' renditions of the bike she rides.

as to her bike fitter, here's most of what i can tell you about him in one article.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent 8 hours staring at your butt. I couldn’t look away. I was crushed when she made the pass. You have a new fan and I can’t wait to see what comes next.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge fan after your post about competing with the best. How long did it take you to get adjusted to the Morf bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I know you could do what you did and I think you can beat her, I was still absolutely floored with how incredible you raced Saturday. It was simply that awesome of a performance. And you also talk exactly the same way as Chrissie Wellington and Jodie Swallow the times I've chatted with them - winning is a certainty, it's just a matter of time.

I've got a 22 year-old female coworker that is getting into endurance sports who I showed your racing video to and she was so inspired. "She's from here? You know her?" Yes, she's a normal person doing awesome stuff and you can too.

Thanks for being a great example and stay right on track for Kona. This is going to be awesome! Passing Ryf at IMTX should be the last missing piece to put together the perfect race this October. Now you know you can do it, you just have to be yourself on race day. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
I spent 8 hours staring at your butt. I couldn’t look away. I was crushed when she made the pass. You have a new fan and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Nothing at all creepy about your post.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! Hopefully it feels good to be the one who made her transition to the 'angry bird'!

I (and I think a lot of people on Slowtwitch have said as much) think its awesome you saw the challenge and rose to it. You said it: "To become better you have to race better people." Glad you got this taste of head-to-head for next time!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the amazing race and progress!

Your training is interesting and has it changed much over the years? The number of hours is probably incrementally more than some of the AGers here on ST! It's interesting to see the "big/hard" days with every sport versus "easy or off day (Sunday)." What was the biggest difference and impact on results?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jocelyn - Great race!
1) Given you're not using power for the race... Is that just race specific that you don't use power? And then if so, did you have any ranges of "acceptable" versus "oh shit" on HR or just all perceived exertion?
2) What are you hoping to have for the rest of the year as a schedule?
3) What are your thoughts on the new KQ rules and how they've played out so far?

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for doing the AMA! It's really cool of you to take the time and give us the insight into you as an athlete.

I found it so refreshing to watch an exciting women's race and your great attitude has earned a huge amount of fans here. Kona is going to be much more interesting this year.

My questions:

Would you change anything about your execution, like maybe have gone out on the run a little slower to save more for later, drank more on the bike, etc?

Is your plan for Kona the same "stick with Ryf through the bike and then have a footrace" or would you like to outswim and/or outbike her to start the run with a bigger lead?

What's your PR open marathon?

Thanks again for doing the AMA. I was rooting for you all day and really enjoyed seeing the fierce competition between you two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jocelyn, congrats on a great race over the weekend! My question might be a bit personal so feel free to totally ignore it if it is. As a female I'm curious how other females train. I recently read Dr. Stacy Sim's book, Roar, where she talks about how women are not small men and discusses how to hydrate, eat, train and recover throughout our menstrual cycles. Does your coach and RD take into account your menstrual cycle when planning your training and fuel? And I don't mean like avoiding a race because it falls on race day, but does the intensity of your workouts or what you eat revolve around the swings in our hormones throughout the month? If you never heard of her I suggest listening to a couple podcasts where she speaks. She spends her career studying women as most studies throughout history have been done on men.

Congrats again and I'm looking forward to tracking you in more races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Jocelyn from one Bearcat to another!

You have earned another fan and I was rooting for you the entire time during the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent race Jocelyn! I enjoy how open you are with your training. I have heard you on almost all the triathlon podcasts and you are always a great guest. The Fitter Radio conversations between you and Bevan are great!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [ctree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctree wrote:
Huge fan after your post about competing with the best. How long did it take you to get adjusted to the Morf bars?

Thanks! I have had that mentality since I started my pro career in 2015. One of the reasons I went pro was because I was the first amateur in Kona 2014 so I felt like to be my best I needed to race the best out there, which meant going Pro.

I rode on them on a different bike for commuting for 3ish days and then put them right on my bike. I jump into things with both feet when I do it. I haven't ever reached for an imaginary base bar on the bike and honestly my fit and set up is more comfortable with them then before.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

Nothing at all creepy about your post.

The creepy part is on the bike you can see too much... at least from what I've seen in pictures! eek! Please, don't go back to look for that now! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
As much as I know you could do what you did and I think you can beat her, I was still absolutely floored with how incredible you raced Saturday. It was simply that awesome of a performance. And you also talk exactly the same way as Chrissie Wellington and Jodie Swallow the times I've chatted with them - winning is a certainty, it's just a matter of time.

I've got a 22 year-old female coworker that is getting into endurance sports who I showed your racing video to and she was so inspired. "She's from here? You know her?" Yes, she's a normal person doing awesome stuff and you can too.

Thanks for being a great example and stay right on track for Kona. This is going to be awesome! Passing Ryf at IMTX should be the last missing piece to put together the perfect race this October. Now you know you can do it, you just have to be yourself on race day. :)

Thanks Brett! I am just a normal person being the best version of me I can. I use to put Ryf on a different level then myself, but how do you beat someone who you THINK is better then you? Change your thinking :)

See you around! I'll be back down in September if you make it to houston let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
Ha! Hopefully it feels good to be the one who made her transition to the 'angry bird'!

I (and I think a lot of people on Slowtwitch have said as much) think its awesome you saw the challenge and rose to it. You said it: "To become better you have to race better people." Glad you got this taste of head-to-head for next time!

Ha, I guess it's good but why couldn't she have stayed with what she was doing!?!? ;)

Thanks for the complement, it's just how I think and how we have to as female pros to be able to elevate our game to hers and beyond.
Quote Reply

Prev Next