Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You raced a lot of 70.3's last year for "more race experience" with the plan of that making you a better racer. Do you think that came together and for example were all those 70.3's good experience for making the "race happen" in the front swim group this time around? Will you practice for Kona in rough water with Jonnyo beating you over the head with a kayak paddle and other assorted blunt objects?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Congrats on the win. It's great to see you winning another IM.

Re the band swimming: When using the band, have you ever tried interlocking your big toes? I noticed that I seemed to be getting better/faster at swimming with the band so I must be cheating somehow. So I interlocked my big toes as well and it was a LOT harder. So I'm guessing one can still kick somewhat with the band.

Just wondered if you had a similar experience?

Will

Yes. Sort of. I bought one of these - http://www.dband4pulling.com

It's less of a band and more of a vice. It's murderously hard. I use it for SOME sessions.

I don't think you necessarily want to remove ALL kicking and hip movement. Moving your hips is part of the swim stroke. I actually think being able to kick a little bit is a good thing with the band. It helps keep your kick tight.

One of the college coaches and I were talking about this. He does over kicking drills with the band on. He does it because it helps to keep the kick "tight."

So, yes, it's MUCH harder if you cannot move your feet - and therefore hips - at all. However, I'm not sure that's a good thing. And I'm definitely not sure you want that restriction ALL the time. I have the big band, which I use sometimes. But I also have lighter bands - including one that is barely there - that I use for different reasons.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.

I ride 1X on my road bike, and I set it up this way for exactly this reason. I run 50-11/32 on my road bike.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You raced a lot of 70.3's last year for "more race experience" with the plan of that making you a better racer. Do you think that came together and for example were all those 70.3's good experience for making the "race happen" in the front swim group this time around? Will you practice for Kona in rough water with Jonnyo beating you over the head with a kayak paddle and other assorted blunt objects?

Yes, the 70.3s really helped me learn how I have my best starts - start on the ride side; prefer a beach start; prefer clean water and then slot in to the group. Also helped me improve my transitions a bit in terms of just streamlining them. But the biggest value was in the swim start practice. I used to have that opportunity when I trained with Joel's group in Victoria. But I only really get that at races - or training camps - now.

Well, I'll for sure try to do the race on the course the week before Kona. I forget the name... But it's basically just the Ironman swim (finishing in front of the King Kam on the beach though).


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
You raced a lot of 70.3's last year for "more race experience" with the plan of that making you a better racer. Do you think that came together and for example were all those 70.3's good experience for making the "race happen" in the front swim group this time around? Will you practice for Kona in rough water with Jonnyo beating you over the head with a kayak paddle and other assorted blunt objects?


Yes, the 70.3s really helped me learn how I have my best starts - start on the ride side; prefer a beach start; prefer clean water and then slot in to the group. Also helped me improve my transitions a bit in terms of just streamlining them. But the biggest value was in the swim start practice. I used to have that opportunity when I trained with Joel's group in Victoria. But I only really get that at races - or training camps - now.

Well, I'll for sure try to do the race on the course the week before Kona. I forget the name... But it's basically just the Ironman swim (finishing in front of the King Kam on the beach though).

Would you add some non drafting Olympic tris as part of the "practice racing" in terms of making the pack to keep honing this (as well as transitions etc)?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not IMMT related but always wanted to know how Pros make a living. I know you get money from winning races but what if you are only in the top 10 and never 1, 2 , or 3. Do sponsors provide enough money for you and your family to live comfortably?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
You raced a lot of 70.3's last year for "more race experience" with the plan of that making you a better racer. Do you think that came together and for example were all those 70.3's good experience for making the "race happen" in the front swim group this time around? Will you practice for Kona in rough water with Jonnyo beating you over the head with a kayak paddle and other assorted blunt objects?


Yes, the 70.3s really helped me learn how I have my best starts - start on the ride side; prefer a beach start; prefer clean water and then slot in to the group. Also helped me improve my transitions a bit in terms of just streamlining them. But the biggest value was in the swim start practice. I used to have that opportunity when I trained with Joel's group in Victoria. But I only really get that at races - or training camps - now.

Well, I'll for sure try to do the race on the course the week before Kona. I forget the name... But it's basically just the Ironman swim (finishing in front of the King Kam on the beach though).

Would you add some non drafting Olympic tris as part of the "practice racing" in terms of making the pack to keep honing this (as well as transitions etc)?

Sure, except there aren't really any non-drafting Olympic tris for pros anymore... There's a few, but all are a hassle in terms of risk:reward.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baldiesrt wrote:
Not IMMT related but always wanted to know how Pros make a living. I know you get money from winning races but what if you are only in the top 10 and never 1, 2 , or 3. Do sponsors provide enough money for you and your family to live comfortably?

thanks

If you're not in the top-3 regularly, you probably don't have sponsors supporting you. Honestly, companies just aren't interested in someone with that sort of resume. There are too many races out there - unless we are talking ITU WTS top-10s - for someone to really be demonstrating that they are an elite just by being in the top-10. Look at MT just as an example. The top AG athlete finished 8th OA.

Jesse Thomas wrote a great article about this - http://triathlon.competitor.com/...w-turning-pro_111460

The simplest answer is that there is not one - or even 10 - definition of what it means to be a "pro." There are 100s of definitions of what it means to be a pro. And there are 100s of answers to the question as to how pros make a living as a result.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
BMANX wrote:
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.


I ride 1X on my road bike, and I set it up this way for exactly this reason. I run 50-11/32 on my road bike.

Assuming no aero bars on the road bike, do you have any difficulty with the time trial position the first few times you ride your TT bike??? It seems like your back would need some time, like 20-25 rides, to get used to that couched-over position???


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on it all coming together. I haven't read through the entire thread so maybe it's been covered... but you must be stoked to see Dimond with 1st, 2nd and 4th fastest bike splits of the day!

____________________________________

Ultraman 2018 Updates | Race Reports | My Gear
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
BMANX wrote:
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.


I ride 1X on my road bike, and I set it up this way for exactly this reason. I run 50-11/32 on my road bike.

Assuming no aero bars on the road bike, do you have any difficulty with the time trial position the first few times you ride your TT bike??? It seems like your back would need some time, like 20-25 rides, to get used to that couched-over position???

I'm not sure what you mean, "the first few times I ride my TT bike." You seem to be implying that I ever stop riding my TT bike for longer than say, two weeks... I do not.

Yeah, I had some trouble for those first 20-25 rides. That was back in 2005. Wink


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Congrats on it all coming together. I haven't read through the entire thread so maybe it's been covered... but you must be stoked to see Dimond with 1st, 2nd and 4th fastest bike splits of the day!

I'll be happy if it helps Dimond sell more bikes. But yes, I think it's awesome. And a testament to how good the bike is.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
BMANX wrote:
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.


I ride 1X on my road bike, and I set it up this way for exactly this reason. I run 50-11/32 on my road bike.


Assuming no aero bars on the road bike, do you have any difficulty with the time trial position the first few times you ride your TT bike??? It seems like your back would need some time, like 20-25 rides, to get used to that couched-over position???


I'm not sure what you mean, "the first few times I ride my TT bike." You seem to be implying that I ever stop riding my TT bike for longer than say, two weeks... I do not.

Yeah, I had some trouble for those first 20-25 rides. That was back in 2005. Wink

Guess I misinterpreted then as it sounded like you rode your road bike most of the time in training, then got on the TT bike the last 1 to 2 weeks before a race. So, you ride your TT bike at least 1 ride very 2 weeks or so???


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a couple of questions about band swimming as an adult onset swimmer.

In your experience, what was and is the biggest benefit to regular band sends (learning to increase turnover, learning better body position etc)? As a follow up, how would you suggest incorporating it into swim sets for someone that might not make it across the pool the first time? I imagine it is a bit of a humbling experience, at least initially.

Congrats on the win too, great to see you back on top of a big race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
BMANX wrote:
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.


I ride 1X on my road bike, and I set it up this way for exactly this reason. I run 50-11/32 on my road bike.


Assuming no aero bars on the road bike, do you have any difficulty with the time trial position the first few times you ride your TT bike??? It seems like your back would need some time, like 20-25 rides, to get used to that couched-over position???


I'm not sure what you mean, "the first few times I ride my TT bike." You seem to be implying that I ever stop riding my TT bike for longer than say, two weeks... I do not.

Yeah, I had some trouble for those first 20-25 rides. That was back in 2005. Wink

Guess I misinterpreted then as it sounded like you rode your road bike most of the time in training, then got on the TT bike the last 1 to 2 weeks before a race. So, you ride your TT bike at least 1 ride very 2 weeks or so???

I ride my TT bike at least 1x per week. Usually 2x. Just for shorter rides.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
Just a couple of questions about band swimming as an adult onset swimmer.

In your experience, what was and is the biggest benefit to regular band sends (learning to increase turnover, learning better body position etc)? As a follow up, how would you suggest incorporating it into swim sets for someone that might not make it across the pool the first time? I imagine it is a bit of a humbling experience, at least initially.

Congrats on the win too, great to see you back on top of a big race!

learning to hold water from catch to finish is the biggest benefit, by far.

Do sets of 25s with long rest. If you need to rest halfway, do it. Helps if you have a shallow pool. I regularly stopped at halfway across and stood up for the first few times I used it.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Westlake pool is perfect for this.....deep in the middle, so I'll die the first time I do it and never have to do it again!


-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be possible for you to post both bikes in this thread or maybe the front page as I know there are several people interesting in the 1 X set up. It would be great to see how you have set up your bikes to run this option. I am in the process of setting up my tri bike as a 1 X 10 set up and am now thinking about doing this on one of my road bikes as well.

Did your bikes have a removable front derailleur hanger or did you just leave them on.

AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
BMANX wrote:
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.


I ride 1X on my road bike, and I set it up this way for exactly this reason. I run 50-11/32 on my road bike.


Assuming no aero bars on the road bike, do you have any difficulty with the time trial position the first few times you ride your TT bike??? It seems like your back would need some time, like 20-25 rides, to get used to that couched-over position???


I'm not sure what you mean, "the first few times I ride my TT bike." You seem to be implying that I ever stop riding my TT bike for longer than say, two weeks... I do not.

Yeah, I had some trouble for those first 20-25 rides. That was back in 2005. Wink


Guess I misinterpreted then as it sounded like you rode your road bike most of the time in training, then got on the TT bike the last 1 to 2 weeks before a race. So, you ride your TT bike at least 1 ride very 2 weeks or so???


I ride my TT bike at least 1x per week. Usually 2x. Just for shorter rides.

Ah, I see now, thanks for the detailed explanation:)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many times did you "relieve" yourself during the race? At what points? Do you think you drank just the right amount of fluids or would a little more (or less) have been ideal? Thanks for taking the time to do this and congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
How many times did you "relieve" yourself during the race? At what points? Do you think you drank just the right amount of fluids or would a little more (or less) have been ideal? Thanks for taking the time to do this and congratulations!

Once. About 5km into the run. I think I drank pretty much the right amount. I peed right away in drug testing after the race and volume was good and specific gravity was what I consider to be acceptably high - 1.280, I believe.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Would it be possible for you to post both bikes in this thread or maybe the front page as I know there are several people interesting in the 1 X set up. It would be great to see how you have set up your bikes to run this option. I am in the process of setting up my tri bike as a 1 X 10 set up and am now thinking about doing this on one of my road bikes as well.

Did your bikes have a removable front derailleur hanger or did you just leave them on.

race bike - http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ordan_Rapp_4924.html

the Dimond is designed with the whole FD mount being removable. It's simpler to mold that way, but also makes it super clean for 1x.

road bike -

on my road bike, it takes a band-clamp FD, so I just do without. But you can just leave the hanger on if you have integrated. If you're really committed, you could drill out the rivets and fill and paint over the holes.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Jordan. That looks great. Will you be moving to wireless in the new future? I would assume you would be offered the option.

AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Thank you Jordan. That looks great. Will you be moving to wireless in the new future? I would assume you would be offered the option.

Complete feature piece on the road bike is coming. It's a new bike. Special WBR project. That's actually the first pic I've posted of it. Special for you! I was saving it until I did the gallery, but since you asked... Smile

I actually don't think so. I'll probably wait until they do 1X wireless, whenever that is. Probably a few years. But for me, the 1X is awesome. More aero, simpler, etc. It solves a problem I had - that I disliked the small chainring. Wireless doesn't solve any problems *FOR ME.* So I am not planning to switch.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the road bike. Would like to learn more about it.

After seeing the TT system today on Armstrong's set up, I already thought how cool it would be to have those remote buttons under the hoods of say a pair of S-900 on the inside section and you would not even have to worry about the paddles on the levers like you do on a road set up. All you do is trigger them with your thumbs. Yes you lose the ability to activate the shifters when you are in the drops but it could be done now.

AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply

Prev Next