Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asics to Hoka switch arch pain
Quote | Reply
I just recently switched from Asics DS Trainer 22s and 23s to a Hoka Clifton 6 and am experiencing some soreness in my arch and front, inside of knee on one leg throughout the day but NOT when I'm running or walking.

I have been in the Asics for around 2 years now and been very happy with them but I am trying to increase my mileage following BarryP from the 18-20 I am at to more like 30-35 and wanted to try something with a bit more cushioning for the increase. I followed the plan for about a week before changing shoes and did not increase mileage between the two weeks (20mpw). I, somewhat stupidly, made the switch without any alternating between shoes. I also did not move my lock laces over to the Hokas.

For what it's worth, I'm 215#, have a medium arch according to my FleetFeet scan, and have no history of foot/ankle injuries from running. I run with a more mid/forefoot strike and felt like the heel on the DSTs was "in the way" somewhat.

I would love any suggestions on a cause for the soreness, approaches to figuring out if the Hokas are good for me, or other shoes I should try instead. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Asics to Hoka switch arch pain [hokietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going 100% one type of shoe to 100% other type of shoe, with significant volume, will most likely lead to some soreness...

It make sense to rotate on 2 or 3 different shoes, usually.
Then you can more easily change one of them.

You can try to do 50/50 on your old / new ?
Quote Reply
Re: Asics to Hoka switch arch pain [hokietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new pair of Asics, and am experiencing similar issues. I have been running in Mizuno's for many years. Before that it was New Balance. Each time I have made a switch there have been some transition pains. I usually do shorter runs, and walks, in the new shoes to break them in a bit before going to my regular run mileage. I don't do any speed work in the new shoes either. I also still use my old shoes for most of my runs in the first few weeks...and slowly start working the new shoes into the rotation. I spend a bit more time stretching too.
Hope this helps

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply