Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Article request and/or need for healthy debate on training approaches
Quote | Reply
This is no doubt a little untimely given that were in the middle of race season in NA but I'm struck by the contiuum of training approaches I see utilized and recommended. On one end is the LSD, train the aerobic engine, big volume, low intensity approach. On the other is the short-fast, power-strength approach, lots of speed-power nueromuscular development through interval work, and very little long distance oriented training. Of course there's a significant group in the middle, and those of us are willy-nilly visiting all parts of the continuum. Any one have a reference for an article or is in the know regarding the science, pro's-con's of each approach.

Several contexts drive the question. My first IM I did 7 centuries prior to the race, 1/2 a dozen 14-16 mile runs. WIth a coach over the last 10 months my "long" preps for LP, max distance on the bike will be 80 miles and that once. I'll have a 14 miler and maybe a 16 miler completed for the long runs. Karen Smyers, as I recall, main training staple for her early IM's were 50/10 (hammer) bricks and long ride was not much more than 60-70. Thomas H. on the other hand posts huge training numbers. I'm not familair with the current training methods of the short-course guys who are doing so well but would seem to bring a background of speed-power vs the over-distance approach. A vareity of approaches and seeming successful for some. Lots of questions arise. Looking for the light.

Chappy
Quote Reply
Re: Article request and/or need for healthy debate on training approaches [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chappy,

there is no right answer. or, there is a right answer but the answer is different for each individual. but here are a few generalizations:

increased volume (to a point) = better performance (to a point)

racing IM = train mostly at IM (Z2, aerobic, AeT) pace, unless you are time limited, in which case you will want to add in some well planned LT work (which you might want to do regardless)

racing sprints/olympic = train ~10%-20% at LT / some VO2max, 80-90% aerobic (but you can swim most main sets at LT)

racing both = train both ways depending on the time of year and phase of the moon

intelligent strength/resistance training does help with race day performance, injury prevention, and recovery

stretching is crucial

nutrition, sleep, and mental toughness are often overlooked and combined are probably equally as important as physical preparation

don't overdo it

don't underdo it

recover properly

search google.com for more...

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Article request and/or need for healthy debate on training approaches [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chappy,

Let me just start by saying that over the years I've had many debates over training approaches, I don't seem to recall having an unhealthy debate :-)

Anyway, it seems to me you can do three things:

- Self-coaching: start by buying for example the Training Bible, do your own plans, workouts, read everything about training from SERIOUS sources you can find (there's some stuff on the net, including scientific papers), become a training student.

- Hire a reputable coach, preferably someone you can be with for some workouts and actually talk to him/her.

- Start by hiring a coach and while being coached become the training student I mentioned above. You'll learn about training with a good coach because he/she needs to be prepared to justify to the athlete every choice made regarding your training. When working with elite athletes believe me a coach needs to be ready to do this almost every day :-)

Well, I hope this helps

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply