Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Arm Cups for High Hands
Quote | Reply
So I run an Argon 18 E-119 with Zipp Evo 110’s angled up 10 deg and rolled in so the tips are almost together. I typically have my elbows on the pads and don’t shift around a lot. The arm cups aren’t really my favorite and the pads are about worn out. I’m contemplating swapping the arm cups out. Is there an arm cup that perhaps works a little better for high hands?

My considerations are to go to either a Zipp Vuka, Tririg Ergo, or just stick with stocks and use CeeGees... I like the idea of the Revolvers but am shy about dropping almost $200 USD on arm cups...

Any other suggestions I should think about? Or perhaps experiences with Revolvers that suggest they are worth the $$$?

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Arm Cups for High Hands [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been talking about that very topic here. I'm currently running the same extensions you are and there are plenty of photos/video of my rig in that thread; however, i won't pain you to read through all that mess to get to the good stuff. Give Alden-Carbon's cups a look. I'm a big fan of how his design/execution turned out. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Arm Cups for High Hands [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! That made for some really interesting catch up reading :-)

I like the idea of the arm cups. I currently use the extensions and flat cups all tilted 10deg as one unit. Doubt that would work with cups tilted another 15deg although I could drop the tilt kit, lose 5-10mm of stack, and lower my total extension tilt at the shifters.

Two questions:

1. What distance are those cups comfortable to? Do you do full IM distance?

2. What do you do for padding? I saw you said strips of foam. Is that mounted yourself?

I’d be really interested in filling the inset area as that is typically where my elbows sit...

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
Thanks for the info! That made for some really interesting catch up reading :-)

I like the idea of the arm cups. I currently use the extensions and flat cups all tilted 10deg as one unit. Doubt that would work with cups tilted another 15deg although I could drop the tilt kit, lose 5-10mm of stack, and lower my total extension tilt at the shifters.

I would do just that, get rid of the tilt kit and run the cups with the evo 110s. Are they the Vuka version (i.e. carbon)?

trihawg wrote:
Two questions:

1. What distance are those cups comfortable to? Do you do full IM distance?

I don't Tri, yet. However, I don't break aero much when I am out on the road either. Here is the STRAVA from my longest ride with my current setup. I don't doubt the comfort of these cups, but most have been astonished at the level of padding, or lack thereof, that I have run over the years. And that's from the Time Trial community. ;) Which brings me to your next question.

trihawg wrote:
2. What do you do for padding? I saw you said strips of foam. Is that mounted yourself?

I run this product, which comes in a 2mm thickness that really compresses down to 1mm after the first use. You can layer it to build up the thickness to the desired level. Also, I think it comes in different thickness with lots of colour options. And yes, I mount that myself.

trihawg wrote:
I’d be really interested in filling the inset area as that is typically where my elbows sit...

Glen has inserts in the plans, but I don't think they are necessary unless you want to adhere typical pads like ceegees or the like. Further on that front, I do not know when he might get around to designing/fabricating them. I will say this though, that I also ran with my elbows on the middle of the pads/cups (flat deals from felt tilted up ~10º) until I made the switch to the 15º cups. I set the 15º cups up to have my elbow in the same spot in space, but so that they would hang off the back of the pad (see photo below). I go into the benefits of this in that thread I linked to above so I won't rehash everything, but a few points:
  1. lower stack than placing elbows on pads
  2. the meaty part of your arm makes pads a little less needed than running your boney elbow as the contact point
  3. makes for a great bracing point that gives more stability/control than running elbows on the pads

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike with the 51 speedshop ultimate extensions. I'm making the move to the 51 speedshop cups in a couple weeks when I make it back to the bike shop to pick them up. Was in there last week and tested them out. I think they will solve the problem. I can't stand the cups that came with the e119. The pads only lasted about 300 miles before they bottomed out.
Quote Reply
Re: Arm Cups for High Hands [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do run the carbon evo’s. I dropped the tilt kit from my setup this morning and lowered the stack back to slammed. Definitely will need angled arm cups but I’m honestly a little hesitant to go with something that minimal in padding. Something to think about :-)

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply