Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Argon E-117 Disc
Quote | Reply
I’m in the market for a new Tri bike (currently riding a Giant Defy Advanced 2 which is not ideal for racing). I have really been looking hard at the Argon E-117 disc as a great entry-level option with a lot of bang-for-the-buck. I have a local shop that carries Argon so I’ll definitely be swinging in there for a fit to make sure it’s an option for me once life re-opens. In the meantime, I don’t see many reviews online about this bike so I’m curious if anyone here has anything to say about Argon in general...good or bad? I prefer a disc bike because I live in an area with several climbs/descents that can get pretty technical and I just think disc is where new bikes are heading regardless...plus I love them on my Defy. There are only a few bike manufacturers that have disc options for TT/Tri these days that I see: Argon, Cervélo, Felt, Quintana Roo, Specialized, and a few others I’ve run across I believe. Out of those, Cervelo and Argon seem to be the most cost-friendly in the disc model but only Argon has a local shop that I can actually get a proper fit done. Anyways...any Argon riders that can shed some light would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [BallsJesus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BallsJesus wrote:
I There are only a few bike manufacturers that have disc options for TT/Tri these days that I see.

If you want an Argon 18, go for it, but just about every manufacturer makes disc brake TT bikes now. In fact, rim brakes are probably harder to find.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 25, 20 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
BallsJesus wrote:
I There are only a few bike manufacturers that have disc options for TT/Tri these days that I see.

If you want an Argon 18, go for it, but just about every manufacturer makes disc brake TT bikes now. In fact, rim brakes are probably harder to find.

I guess there are quite a few but not many that have options in an “entry level” range. BMC minimum for disc is $7500; Trek minimum for disc is $6500; Cannondale; Scott; all about the same, etc., etc. Canyon doesn’t make a disc option for Tri, Giant doesn’t make a disc option for Tri, Orbea doesn’t, etc. so really only a few options for disc in the $3-$5k range where I want to stay considering it will be my first Tri bike. My goal is to get a good quality disc bike with mechanical shifting to start and over time upgrade to race wheels and Di2.

My apologies, probably should have elaborated in original post but really just trying to find anyone that may have ridden Argon and have opinions.
Last edited by: BallsJesus: Apr 25, 20 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think that your local shop can do a proper fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I’m confused. Why WOULDN’T my local shop do a fit for me? That’s kinda what they do right? They are an Argon dealer so they would be able to fit me on an E-117 to make sure the geometry fits my body. I’m just waiting for the shelter-in-place to be lifted so I can go in there. In the meantime I am trying to gather intel from any Slowtwitch members that have experienced Argon 18 bikes for some opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course your bike shop can do a fit for you.

I was asking if they can do a proper fit.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Road_Bike_Fit/Reasonable_bike_fit_expectations_3595.html
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Apr 26, 20 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 2020, very few LBS have the high end model in stock. You basically need to know which size you want and all sales are final (at least in my part of the world)

If you have a really good bike fit, and you know your stack and reach... you could probably figure out on your own which size you want.

Most good bike fitters have services to help you figure it out.

Been a dealer in brand X doesn't guaranty that your LBS know what they are talking about (especially if you get advices from a 19 year old mountain biker).

Argon 18 note: my first TT bike was a e-116... it's was a nice mid range frame, but it had a terrible rim brake system and didn't really fit wide rims... i'm assuming those issues were address with the e-117 disc.
Last edited by: benleg: Apr 26, 20 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BallsJesus wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I’m confused. Why WOULDN’T my local shop do a fit for me?.

I live within 10 miles of probably 5-7 bike shops and not sure I would trust any of them with a tri fit. Most LBSs sell bikes and do fits. As Jim mentioned, a proper fit is a different ballgame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BallsJesus wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I’m confused. Why WOULDN’T my local shop do a fit for me? That’s kinda what they do right? They are an Argon dealer so they would be able to fit me on an E-117 to make sure the geometry fits my body. I’m just waiting for the shelter-in-place to be lifted so I can go in there. In the meantime I am trying to gather intel from any Slowtwitch members that have experienced Argon 18 bikes for some opinions.

Important question do they have a fit bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the fact that they sell Argon-18 and that's the brand you want is a good reason to get a fit elsewhere. If the shop fits you there, they're incentivised to say an Argon-18 would work for you even if it wouldn't or if there is a better fit option out there for you. I've only ever had one "professional" fit when I was very new to the sport and despite making it clear I wasn't going to be able to afford a new bike, the fitter only gave me fit options for Cervelo and Felt, both of which he happened to sell in his shop. How convenient. Turned out the fit was a total waste of money to begin with. Now it might be that the best fitter is in that shop, and if they're truly focused on the fit first, they'll present you with all the unbiased options, however the chances of a random shop having a competent fitter are pretty low.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With most people, on most bikes, you should be able to get a fit and then you just pick out the bike you like. The fitter will be able to tell you what size you need and what adjustments need to be made.

There are some bikes that don’t work for certain people, And you definitely don’t want the dealer who will magically have your fit match the size they happen to have in stock. But it’s not like bikes are that different that most people cant fit, unless you’re some kind of an edge case.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Argon 18 E-117 non disc, tri bike and I love it. very customizable, built well i ride it 3-4 times a week on the trainer and road, 2 races so far. its my first tri rig and i love it very much for the price. I have the ultegra components.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hollywood_USAF wrote:
I have an Argon 18 E-117 non disc, tri bike and I love it. very customizable, built well i ride it 3-4 times a week on the trainer and road, 2 races so far. its my first tri rig and i love it very much for the price. I have the ultegra components.

Thanks for the input!

And thank you everyone for the info regarding “proper fit” vs a fit at a dealer...I understand the difference now and never considered the bias. I do have a local fitter that is not associated with any shop and is an accredited/certified fitter but he doesn’t have a fit bike unfortunately so that is a disappointment. Also, he charges $350 for a Tri/TT bike fit which seems excessive? Although he says he spends 4-5hrs on the fit to dial it in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
350 sounds about right the 4-5 hours seems a bit long, i too had the computerized fit, a couple hours and adjustments with follow up adjustments location depending here in socal you have the socal tax of add 100.00 to everything lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BallsJesus wrote:
Hollywood_USAF wrote:

Thanks for the input!

And thank you everyone for the info regarding “proper fit” vs a fit at a dealer...I understand the difference now and never considered the bias. I do have a local fitter that is not associated with any shop and is an accredited/certified fitter but he doesn’t have a fit bike unfortunately so that is a disappointment. Also, he charges $350 for a Tri/TT bike fit which seems excessive? Although he says he spends 4-5hrs on the fit to dial it in

I tested the 118 pro and it was pretty fast. The 117 seems to share many of the frames features.
It's a quality frame. No doubt about that. They don't cut corners.

The biggest difference is of course the cockpit. Personally I can't get beyond that front brake cable out in the wind but that's being anal. I think the Cervelo is the same. I think QR is better here ?

I'm not a big fan of the cockpit. I would have preferred a setup that achieves more/less stack via risers under the pads. But guess they had to hit a target price. If you get fit by your Argon dealer and have a ton of spacers....that's one way of seeing the bike wasn't quite for you.

PS, a bad fit will cost you a lot more than $350 over time.
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 26, 20 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I tested the 118 pro and it was pretty fast. The 117 seems to share many of the frames features.
It's a quality frame. No doubt about that. They don't cut corners.

The biggest difference is of course the cockpit. Personally I can't get beyond that front brake cable out in the wind but that's being anal. I think the Cervelo is the same. I think QR is better here ?

I'm not a big fan of the cockpit. I would have preferred a setup that achieves more/less stack via risers under the pads. But guess they had to hit a target price. If you get fit by your Argon dealer and have a ton of spacers....that's one way of seeing the bike wasn't quite for you.

PS, a bad fit will cost you a lot more than $350 over time.

All great info and much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
With most people, on most bikes, you should be able to get a fit and then you just pick out the bike you like. The fitter will be able to tell you what size you need and what adjustments need to be made.

I agree that most people should be able to find a fit on one size of most brands/models. I disagree that means that his LBS will necessarily properly fit him on the right size/make proper adjustments to fit him properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the comments above are true for LBS bias and competency... but keep in mind that people here are at different stages in their TT fit.

You are at the "should i get medium of large" stage?

You will then go to the "which saddle should i get" stage?

and then should i have 1 or 2 spacers on my elbow pads?

For an experienced TT rider, it's possible to answer all those questions during a 3-5 hours fit session.

For a newby, it's at best a multi-months process... you just need to make sure you pick right frame that give you enough options to adjust. Picking the right frame is not super complex, IF you are of fairly standards proportions and flexibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever happened with this? You get the bike or go with something different?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a smoking deal on a 2018 Canonndale Superslice disc that I couldn’t pass up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread. Out on the market for a new bike. Anyone with experience from the e-117 disc di2? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [swe_erik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swe_erik wrote:
Bumping this thread. Out on the market for a new bike. Anyone with experience from the e-117 disc di2? Thoughts?

Don't have one myself but I do work at a shop that sells quite a few. As you said, it's a very big bang for the buck! Many of our buyers have come back in to say how much they love it. We have a number in stock in both rim and disc. Myself, I bought 2 Argons the past 2 years (Gallium and E-119) and they are by far the best and most responsive bikes I've used. Argon has really stepped up and is making some awesome products. Thew new E-119 looks amazing when it comes out but that's quite a higher price point.

We always put people on multiple bikes, both brands and sizes so they can help in the process. We also have a fitter with his own business that has over 12,000 hours of fit experience to rely on. One of our mechanics bought the E-117 disc and with all of his experience feels it's extremely well made and a fast, responsive machine. I'd definitely check one out!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your input, available at my LBS and thats a bike bonus for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon E-117 Disc [swe_erik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're very welcome. It's a really good value for the money and I think you'll love it.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next