Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Argon 18 Nitrogen feedback
Quote | Reply
I’m looking for my n+1 and want to get an aero road bike. I owned a Felt Ar3 ((sadly stolen) and loved that bike. But I now live in Switzerland and the AR isn’t super easy to obtain here. I currently have a Canyon Speedmax (which I don’t really like and will likely sell at the end of this season) . I’ve found a shop with a reasonable discount on a 2019 Argon Nitrogen and it seems to tick all of my boxes.
Any owners out there who can give me the pros and cons?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 Nitrogen feedback [suissetrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:
I’m looking for my n+1 and want to get an aero road bike. I owned a Felt Ar3 ((sadly stolen) and loved that bike. But I now live in Switzerland and the AR isn’t super easy to obtain here. I currently have a Canyon Speedmax (which I don’t really like and will likely sell at the end of this season) . I’ve found a shop with a reasonable discount on a 2019 Argon Nitrogen and it seems to tick all of my boxes.
Any owners out there who can give me the pros and cons?

Disc brakes or rim ? The rim brakes of previous models were not great IMO.
I have not tried the new disc brake version but I have heard good things from one of the pro tour riders that tested it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! I rode the Nitrogen in 2015 as my race bike with Jelly Belly and had the Nitrogen Pro as my only road bike since 2016. It’s joined me on journeys from the desert of Arizona to the Volcanoes in Rwanda. It’s a wonderful bike, but like anything it has some flaws. Even with the flaws I wouldn’t hesitate to get this bike again if I was on the market for a new bike.

Pros: -a FAST, aero frame that tickles the UCI weight limit
-fantastic ride, stiff in the sprints but doesn’t beat you up on the long days.
-corners well with the lower bb geometry
-semi-integrated bars are refreshingly clean, if they work for your position
-removable FD hanger if you want 1x

Cons: -the bike was made for 23mm tires. Be cognizant of this with the current generation of wide rims/tires. 2013 Zipp 404 with 25mm Conti Force rear tire clears on race day but I removed some paint and carbon from behind the seat tube when some fresh tar and chip got stuck on a 25mm GP 4000 in France, last fall.
-the lowest part on this bike: the TRP rim brakes. To put it nicely, there simply isn’t enough spring tension. Everything is good until the breaks start to wear in, once they get dirty, they don’t have the strength to open fully, or recenter. I wouldn’t recommend trying to modify the brakes to work better either. Most of the parts are lightweight aluminum and will just crack. This is one of the few bikes that I’ve looked at and wished it had a regular brake caliper or aero optimized disc brake. (I believe the newest generation is disc brake.)
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Aug 10, 19 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 Nitrogen feedback [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one season on my Argon 18 Nitrogen (rim brakes) and really like the bike. The frame is comfortable and responsive and climbs well. I too was a bit tepid about the TRP brakes being wonky but they have been set it and forget it for me so far. Granted, I ride my Zipp 303 FC wheels only on the Argon so I'm not dealing with adjusting the brakes to different rim widths. That would be a hassle for sure.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 Nitrogen feedback [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Hi! I rode the Nitrogen in 2015 as my race bike with Jelly Belly and had the 2016 as my only road bike since 2016. It’s joined me on journeys from the desert of Arizona to the Volcanoes in Rwanda. It’s a wonderful bike, but like anything it has some flaws. Even with the flaws I wouldn’t hesitate to get this bike again if I was on the market for a new bike.

Cons: -the bike was made for 23mm tires. Be cognizant of this with the current generation of wide rims/tires. 2013 Zipp 404 with 25mm Conti Force rear tire clears on race day but I removed some paint and carbon from behind the seat tube when some fresh tar and chip got stuck on a 25mm GP 4000 in France, last fall.
-the lowest part on this bike: the TRP rim brakes. To put it nicely, there simply isn’t enough spring tension. Everything is good until the breaks start to wear in, once they get dirty, they don’t have the strength to open fully, or recenter. I wouldn’t recommend trying to modify the brakes to work better either. Most of the parts are lightweight aluminum and will just crack. This is one of the few bikes that I’ve looked at and wished it had a regular brake caliper or aero optimized disc brake. (I believe the newest generation is disc brake.)

I'd love to see your review of the disk brake version for comparison purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the excellent feedback. Looks like current version is disc brake only but good to know about the rim brakes as I’m also keeping my eyes open for 2nd hand bikes. Hoping to hit the shop next week and see how the sizing works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highly recommend the Argon Nitrogen. I build one last summer with enve 4.5 and etap. It was awesome. It is super aero. Climbs really well too. Light. Stiff. Great bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am selling my 2015 Nitrogen (SRAM Red mechanical, frame size M). PM me if you're interested. I'm in Switzerland as well.
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 Nitrogen feedback [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uw234 wrote:
Hey, I am selling my 2015 Nitrogen (SRAM Red mechanical, frame size M). PM me if you're interested. I'm in Switzerland as well.
Uli

Too big I’m afraid! I need a S. Also looking for Di2. But can I ask what websites you’re trying to sell it on? I don’t know the best places to search for 2nd hand bikes here as we’ve only lived here for a year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Hi! I rode the Nitrogen in 2015 as my race bike with Jelly Belly and had the 2016 as my only road bike since 2016. It’s joined me on journeys from the desert of Arizona to the Volcanoes in Rwanda. It’s a wonderful bike, but like anything it has some flaws. Even with the flaws I wouldn’t hesitate to get this bike again if I was on the market for a new bike.

I'd love to see your review of the disk brake version for comparison purposes.

I’d love to take a new disc Nitrogen for a spin! I miss the days of working with the lovely folks at Argon 18 and providing my feedback.

My only hesitation on the disc brakes is that they are currently slower, heavier and noisier (when flying down a mountain) than the rim brakes at the same level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey
I have not even started to put it out, but once I do there is this fb group where quite a few swiss folks post:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/228574557201635

then there is this:
http://www.velomarkt.ch
i like the site but be cautios there are a quite a few scam offers.

If you're in zurich I would look into Tempo sports in Thalwil. they know a thing or two about bikes.

across the border pacemaker sports has argon 18 bikes.
http://www.pacemaker-sports.de

Good luck.
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a 2019 Nitrogen disc for about a month.

I really like it. I would say that it rides more like a "regular" road bike despite being a full aero road bike.
Handles well.
Weight about 16.5 lb/7.5 kg.
Fits 28mm tires.
Uses pretty standard 12x100 thru axle front and 12x142mm rear.
Everything about the bike is very straight forward.
Quote Reply