Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Argon 18 117 tri disc vs 118 tri disc
Quote | Reply
Ok, the trigger is getting pulled on one of these framesets for myself but am on the fence about which one. Everything I read about both frames seem to be nothing but great reviews so I'm kinda wondering if it's worth the extra coin to go with the 118 instead of the 117 or if the 117 is the way to go.

If I go with the 117 I'll be running the PRO Missle Alloy cockpit

Both will be built out with

di2
TRP Spyre mechanical calipers
Enduro xd-15 ceramic bottom bracket
Rotor Cranks (undecided on the model at the moment)
Stan's Avion wheelset with Enduro xd-15 ceramic bearings and SRAM xg1190 cassette

Thanks boys and girls

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 117 tri disc vs 118 tri disc [ProWrench84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:
Ok, the trigger is getting pulled on one of these framesets for myself but am on the fence about which one. Everything I read about both frames seem to be nothing but great reviews so I'm kinda wondering if it's worth the extra coin to go with the 118 instead of the 117 or if the 117 is the way to go.

di2
Stan's Avion wheelset with Enduro xd-15 ceramic bearings and SRAM xg1190 cassette

Thanks boys and girls

How much is 3 or 4 watts and the aesthetics of an exposed cable worth to you ?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 117 tri disc vs 118 tri disc [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:

di2

Thanks boys and girls

I presume cable exposure will be almost identical between the 2 when I'm done with the builds.

I'm really just curious if there are major performance benefits to be had with the 118 over the 117

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:
marcag wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:

di2

Thanks boys and girls

I presume cable exposure will be almost identical between the 2 when I'm done with the builds.

I'm really just curious if there are major performance benefits to be had with the 118 over the 117

118 you won't see any cable. 117 you will see a cable on the front. Kind of like a Cervelo P Series

I don't think Argon has released its aero data but I would peg it at 3 or 4 watts.
Check the stack and reach numbers of the two bikes. I don't think they are the same.
Builds will not be identical since 118 has a proprietary cockpit
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 12, 20 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:
marcag wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:

di2

Thanks boys and girls

118 you won't see any cable. 117 you will see a cable on the front. Kind of like a Cervelo P Series

I don't think Argon has released its aero data but I would peg it at 3 or 4 watts.
Check the stack and reach numbers of the two bikes. I don't think they are the same.
Builds will not be identical since 118 has a proprietary cockpit

Stack and reach is technically different but seems like they can be set up PRETTY similar to one another with use of spacers as well as how you mount the base bar. The cockpit on the 118 is proprietary but the base bar appears to be designed to run as a drop or a rise and the aero bars offer up to 70mm of spacer availability with the ability to pivot the extensions though I'm not sure what degree range they have.

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All correct.

So to your question, the difference will be aesthetics of cables. The 118 will have no visible cables, the 117 will.
There will be a 3-4 watts aero difference overall

Both are great bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag

I agree and thanks for the input. I love the look of the 118 cockpit but it is much more sensible to go with the 117 I think.

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checking, you are talking 118 tri disc (NEXT based) vs 117 disk and not the announced but not released 119 tri+ disc?

The E118 is UCI legal, and very different geometry to the E117. They are very different bikes.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Dec 12, 20 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm shallow or anal or both, but I HATE exposed cables on bikes. I'd go for the 118.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 117 tri disc vs 118 tri disc [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Maybe I'm shallow or anal or both, but I HATE exposed cables on bikes. I'd go for the 118.

I’m shallow too and really don’t like how “basic” the fork shape is on the 117. However I’m sure I can find a suitable replacement if I really need to satisfy my vanity if I grab the 117 over the 118

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

I’m shallow too and really don’t like how “basic” the fork shape is on the 117. However I’m sure I can find a suitable replacement if I really need to satisfy my vanity if I grab the 117 over the 118

what is the price difference when all built up ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

As someone stated above, the 117 and 118 are vastly different. IMO the 117 and 119 are similar in geometry. Perhaps you can fit the 118, but just be aware of the difference. Check the specs if you haven't already. We have all 3 bikes in our shop. They are all amazing bikes and very light while a great value for the money.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

what is the price difference when all built up ?

Really it’ll just be the price difference of the frames. All parts other than brake levers and bar end shifters are in the box ready to get installed.

The 117 I’ll have to order the pro missile alloy cockpit but that’s the only part one frame would need over the other

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentionned

"The cockpit on the 118 is proprietary but the base bar appears to be designed to run as a drop or a rise"

Look at this at 55sec if that's something you would like.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
You mentionned

"The cockpit on the 118 is proprietary but the base bar appears to be designed to run as a drop or a rise"

Look at this at 55sec if that's something you would like.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo

That’s a really nice set up. May cost as much as the 117 frameset hahaha

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply