Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are you faster than a high school junior girl?
Quote | Reply
Katelyn Tuohy ran a 16:21 5km on the Holmdel Park XC course, breaking the women's record by 1:07 (that's one minute, seven seconds). This is a very hard, very popular course.

Quote:
Tuohy split 5:23 for the first mile, which goes uphill. She charged through the second mile in 5:23 as well, setting up a long drive to the finish as a massive crowd, armed with cell phones, sprinted to catch a glimpse of her at the finish line.

The course starts all uphill, then a flat stretch, then the famous Bowl that has a very steep section coming out. The last mile, although net downhill, is through the woods on a winding, up-and-down trail.

(I live 2+ miles from the park)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
No.

Going for terse replies today, eh? I suppose that's what I and Duffy should expect when asking rhetorical questions!

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy snopes that’s fast on that course. I remember Holmdel as a high schooler - my favorite XC course of all time - but pretty sure I never broke 20 there.

Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Going for terse replies today, eh? I suppose that's what I and Duffy should expect when asking rhetorical questions!

Yep.

klehner wrote:
Are you faster than a high school junior girl?

Nope.

But someone here is and they will chime in. Eventually.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a large number of the high school boys didn't break 16.21 last weekend. I've seen her run several times and she's amazing!

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not even close

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
not even close

Not even theoretically?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were four boys who were faster. lol She owns several other high school records as well including the mile. Smooth runner. Hopefully she'll keep her health which tends to be a problem once fast high school girls get to college.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Holy snopes that’s fast on that course. I remember Holmdel as a high schooler - my favorite XC course of all time - but pretty sure I never broke 20 there.

The one time I ran there in a meet ("lame" excuse: I had a calf strain at the time):

Shore AC XC Series # 4

Results: Race #4 Saturday Oct. 21, 2006 Holmdel Park, Holmdel, NJ
Distance: 5k
Place Name Age Team M/F Time

1. Tim Ensign 43 Green’s Pond Harriers 17:10
2. Wilson Martinez 33 Sandy Hookers 17:20
3. Dave DeMonico 38 Jersey Shore RC 17:39
4. Jason Gers 32 SH 17:51
5. Eric Escarcia 37 SH 18:05
6. John Quinn 26 GPH 18:07
7. Jaimie Mora 35 SH 18:09
8. Scott Patterson 31 JSRC 18:11
9. Bob Horn 30 Shore Athletic Club 18:23
10. Joe Donahue 40 SH 18:42
28. Ken Lehner 48 SH 20:05

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at 5k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no. whenever i see them at the starting line i count off how many there are because that's how many places i am going to lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but not that one.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but not that one. //

Ha, you win the internets for the day!!

I used to be faster than this one, but way before she was even a sparkle in her daddy's eye, maybe before her daddy was born...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She set a usa national high school 5km track record earlier this year going 15:37, among rewriting many other national track and xc course records. The folks at letsrun believe the holmdel record might be the best usa high school xc race of all time, adjusting for girls and boys, and how her time ranks within all finishers! She's now considered the best usa high school xc female runner of all time. When she races, and sets these crazy records, her competition might be a minute or two behind her.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 9, 18 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
not even close

Not even theoretically?

Ok, If I had Carl Spackler (Bill Murray) as my caddie, in a hell fire and brimstone rainstorm, complete with thunder and lightning such that anybody with brains would call it a day... Then yes, theoretically

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious ... do you know how many of these sub-16 year old boys/girls who've set world/national/state records that have gone on to become great pros?

I remember Alan Webb (since he grew up in my neck of the woods) setting records in H.S, but seems like he's spent more time on the injury reserve list as a pro than actual running.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Just curious ... do you know how many of these sub-16 year old boys/girls who've set world/national/state records that have gone on to become great pros?

I remember Alan Webb (since he grew up in my neck of the woods) setting records in H.S, but seems like he's spent more time on the injury reserve list as a pro than actual running.

True, but you do know Webb holds the AR of 3:46 for the mile, and is the 8th fastest miler in history? I would say he became a great pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
zoom wrote:

True, but you do know Webb holds the AR of 3:46 for the mile, and is the 8th fastest miler in history? I would say he became a great pro.

thanks for posting his record. I'd say impressive.

Today seems like the day when "everybody" seems to want kids to sit around and not strive for anything (read the 2:40 marathon thread). No sooner do I hear that, then tomorrow, people will complain that kids sit around and play video games and get a medal for participation. Am I crazy? (don't answer that).

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
There were four boys who were faster. lol She owns several other high school records as well including the mile. Smooth runner. Hopefully she'll keep her health which tends to be a problem once fast high school girls get to college.

Katelyn is local to me, so I've been following her for years already. Simply amazing and seriously gifted.

Re: health - I read an article comparing her to other local legends (Mary Cain and others) who didn't fare as well as expected in college/pros. Apparently the drastic changes females go through at that age make it more difficult for them to continue to improve and stay injury free than in their younger years. It will be interesting to see how Katelyn fares in that regard.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Female high school running can be very cruel, especially when the females mature, and add on healthy weight. Often they train even harder, may be more prone to injury, but end up going slower. An article in the NYT highlighted this earlier this year, including discussing Katlyn. Very few of the really fast 12 to 16 year old girls end up continuing to run really fast in college or beyond. An 80 to 100 pound legs and lungs female will typically crush the more developed version of the same high school girl a couple years later.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 9, 18 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Katelyn is local to me, so I've been following her for years already. Simply amazing and seriously gifted.

Re: health - I read an article comparing her to other local legends (Mary Cain and others) who didn't fare as well as expected in college/pros. Apparently the drastic changes females go through at that age make it more difficult for them to continue to improve and stay injury free than in their younger years. It will be interesting to see how Katelyn fares in that regard.

She does have a great stride especially compared to Claudia Lane who is a stream roller.

A while back I was looking at former winners of one of the national cross country races (footlocker or Nike) and didn't recognize a lot of the names. Decided to see where they ran college and was surprise how many of the girls had medical problems, in particular, anorexia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see someone from Holmdel here. I live on the west coast now, but I grew up there, ran track for Holmdel and also NYU in my time there. I ran 1635 on that course. That girl is amazing!!
Quote Reply
Re: Are you faster than a high school junior girl? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a difference between wanting kids to sit around all day and recognizing that excessive training and pressure on them when they're young almost always results in burnout/injury/early peaking and ruins running for them later in life.

That being said, the 5k is not the marathon. However, national junior record holders rarely have long and successful athletic careers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my osteoarthritis in both knees, I couldn't do 2 miles in 16:21 right now.

That is an impressive time (to me) on perfectly smooth pavement, much less a XC course.

Prev Next