Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are they Cheating?
Quote | Reply
Just looking at some results from a race I did this weekend. Anyway, it looks like there are some errors in a couple of the times. Someone is listed as swimming a 4:47 and someone else an 11:37 for a legit 1500m (Which the race winner only covered in 20:00) Obviously these times are physically impossible, and based on the run and bike splits for the individuals they clearly started with the wrong wave.

So here is a question, was it intentional? Even if it was, was it malicious, or did these people just want to start in the wave with their buddy or something, or were they just kind of clueless. Did they get the wrong chip? How could it happen, since everyone in the same wave should have the same color swim cap? I am not here to lynch anyone, and clearly if they were maliciously trying to cheat, they are not smart since I am suprised these results weren't already tossed out, because they are not really plausible.

Then I get to thinking. This was a big race. The waves are only 4 minutes apart. I know I am an average enough swimmer that if I moved up a wave, my swim would have gone from a mediocre 26 and change to a 22. Not enough to raise any eyebrows, and in a big race where no one really knows each other (or at least they don't know me, I'm not that good) I probably could get away with it. Would have moved me into second place in the AG.

Anybody think anything like this ever goes on? I doubt it, but if people are so blatant about drafting, where anyone can see them, why not be more sneaky. I know in a lot of big time races I have done, they check you in to the swim corral, and even sometimes the "chip checker" scans you, so this strategy would not always work.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Are they Cheating? [Matt_Mallet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is,

1 an honest screw up...

2 someone didnt care about there times so didnt worry about it because they just wanted to be with friends...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other possibility -

The person was assigned to the right wave, had the right color swimcap, physically started in the right wave, and then the computer messed up (or maybe just the user in front of the computer).

For chip timing, what typically happens is that, when the GO signal is given for the wave, the time is noted. Then, all swimmers assigned to wave 5 in the computer are given the start time of wave 5. The swim time is calcuated from that assigned time to when they cross the first mat after exiting the water. But, if there was a mistake and a wave 5 person was incorrectly given wave 7 in the computer, then the swim time would have been short by the difference (about 8 minutes for your race).

I was at a race recently where two friends, same gender and age group, correctly started in the same wave. A crossed the line first, followed by B. But the results had B with a faster overall time than A. (There were no penalty minutes involved) I didn't hear the final result, but I'd bet that the computer either had B in a later wave, or A was in a earlier wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last year, a friend of mine and his wife did a race. they made a genuine mistake of mixing up their 2 chips because they were sharing a bag. they were a few waves apart, and never even knew until results were posted. the time that cut down was not as blatant as the one you are describing.

but, it's hard to imagine anyone doing this to cheat, because on the results, they were listed as eachother. for instance, on the results, husband was listed as wife's swim +/- time diff, wife's bike, wife's run. wife was listed as husband's times but the swim time went the other way. i guess a cheater could then swap caps and numbers, then mix up the chips (back to the original person), but that is way too complicated..... why not just have someone else do the race for you?

i still love the story about the guy in an elite wave a couple few years ago that snuck on a pair of swim fins. in san diego i think. he was spotted, fins taken away, then he slipped back into the race never to be identified. perhaps he is the guy that swam the 4:47?

i mean who in the world would sneak fins on? you might as well ride a motorcycle then only run one loop on a two loop course. i just don't get it. guys like that really make me laugh.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Are they Cheating? [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
still love the story about the guy in an elite wave a couple few years ago that snuck on a pair of swim fins. in san diego i think. he was spotted, fins taken away, then he slipped back into the race never to be identified. perhaps he is the guy that swam the 4:47?

i mean who in the world would sneak fins on? you might as well ride a motorcycle then only run one loop on a two loop course. i just don't get it. guys like that really make me laugh.
That's classic!!! My side hurts from laughing so hard! :-D

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Are they Cheating? [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so much cheating but stupid swim stories from races.

IMNZ many years ago. Some weak swimming but good riding American hides in the public toilets about 20 feet from the swim exit. At whqat he thought was the right time, he bolts out of the loos (suitably wetted from the hand basin!) and heads to T1. All goes well until he does too well in the age group. A check of the (unknown to the cheater) swim exit video (in the early days of video) and he was never spotted. He came clean when presented with the facts. DQ

Also IMNZ many years ago. Japanese competitor swims from the beach about 100 yards and turns around, scared shitless. Never swum in open water before it turns out. Returns to shore as first DNF of the day!

IMNZ 1998, in same public toilets as story 1 above. I'm coming out of stall to see Japanese competitor in wetsuit (5 min before race start) and with goggles on, smoking a joint! Good sized doobie, and he finished the whole thing on his own! While not against anyones personal choice in such things, I scampered out quickly. Pot ain't exactly a perfomance enhancing drug unless you're a Canadian Snow Boarder at Ngano! (do you remember his gold medal, that he got to keep?)

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Are they Cheating? [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
still love the story about the guy in an elite wave a couple few years ago that snuck on a pair of swim fins. in san diego i think. he was spotted, fins taken away, then he slipped back into the race never to be identified. perhaps he is the guy that swam the 4:47?

i mean who in the world would sneak fins on? you might as well ride a motorcycle then only run one loop on a two loop course. i just don't get it. guys like that really make me laugh. [/reply]
That's classic!!! My side hurts from laughing so hard! :-D[/reply]

This is hilarious. I keep offering a 40+ friend of mine to wear his timing chip on my right leg with my own on my left leg. For the past few years i keep qualifying for Kona in his age group, but of couse, I'm always 15-20 min too slow in 35-39. Of course he laughs, because when i get to his age group, I'll be another 20 min slower thus too slow again :-). Maybe we all need Larsen to wear our timing chips and we'll be off to the show :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, Last year at Cinco Ranch Sprint Tri near Houston, I finished about 1/4 step behind someone else in my age group. There was no timing mat at the swim start. The first timing mat was at the entrance to T1. When the results came out, the closest person in front of me was a couple minutes.

Cinco Ranch is fairly old and well run; they used the typical Champion Chip timing.
Quote Reply