Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are road shoes faster than tri shoes?
Quote | Reply
I've never owned a pair of road shoes - always used tri shoes due to the size of my feet (wide w/ bunions). With that said, 95% of my riding is on my road bike.

Went into a LBS looking for the latest in shoes to see if anything has changed - hoping something would fit my feet. The guy at the shop told me there's a huge difference in performance between tri shoes and road shoes. By that he meant the power transfer is 'considerably' better in a road shoe - it's more rigid, etc.

Is this true? And if so, wouldn't wearing them during a longer race out-weigh the few seconds lost in transition?

Perhaps I should re-test my FTP in the road shoe to have something close to empirical data?
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typical LBS BS. There's no truth whatsoever to what he said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specific claims about stiffness as it relates to power transfer are pretty much always pulled out of thin air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not "typical" LBS BS, but BS nonetheless. Road shoes can definitely be more comfortable because their closure systems aren't limited to something you can do while rolling down the road, but every tri shoe ever has the same sole and last as a corresponding road shoe from the same manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are definitely more tri shoes out there that don’t lock your feet down as well, which could affect efficiency and power transfer. The idea that flex in the sole reduces power transfer sounds like nonsense.

I prefer tri shoes but fit and closure system are important.
Last edited by: Traphaus: Feb 16, 19 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many shoe companies build their road and tri shoes on the same sole. I would probably ask how "huge" of a difference. It would become pretty evident he has no idea what he is talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could probably attach cleats to the bottom of flip flops, and it wouldn't be that much difference...
Last edited by: nickwhite: Feb 16, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about shoes. Pretty sure tri socks are faster than road socks though.
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW...
Searched around and found this. Basically the guy tested (in a wind tunnel) his PI tri shoe agains a modified (took the laces and tongue out and replaced with elastic) Giro road shoe and came up with a measurable difference in watts: Giro shoe was 4-12 watts faster depending on yaw angle.

https://www.thomasgerlach.com/...es-aerodynamics.html

Which adds nothing to the power transfer argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been thinking of trying that with the Scott Road Rc Lace.

The tri carbons have been fine, and it’s nice to have the boa to tweak the fit after a few minutes, but not having to deal with tigening it up out of T1 has to be worth a few seconds atop the aero benifits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All depends if you like marginal gains! Race in your Tri shoes if your are 40-44 please :-)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
You could probably attach cleats to the bottom of flip flops, and it wouldn't be that much difference...

This is the correct answer to this thread. I have tested rat trap pedals with running shoes vs all kinds of road shoes and at TT/FTP/tri efforts there is zero diff in power.

Pretty sure that unless you ar electing elbows and headbutting one another in a TdF sprint finish like Cav and Sagan, then it would make no delta.

Any discussion on aero is a different story.....but FTP effort power.....zilch
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Paul. I thought I was the only one on the planet who liked old school cages and straps, with running shoes. I've done my share of crude time trials between them and my clipless, and can't tell any difference. At least not at my old guy, 20 mph'ish age group level. But eliminating the shoe change in T2 is priceless.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am that guy quoted above and to add to that I have trained in non-carbon soled mtb shoes. Basically the cheapest MTB pair Shimano makes and I love them. I also use Powercranks on that bike and have never felt at a disadvantage. Total snake oil LBS.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much sense on this thread,

"It enables more efficient power transfer" is the standard excuse for selling expensive cranks, shoes, pedals, stiff frames .. you name it. Hear it everywhere. If it was more efficient then you should be able to measure it. You can't.

My club had a hill climb race for members. Forgot my shoes. Rode it in work safety shoes on look keo pedals. Won it easily (the good climbers didn't show up). Absolutely zero power loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still inclined to believe that a cyclist in running shoes and cages isn't as efficient as the same rider in clipped-in road shoes. It's simply illogical.

On a similar point:

Why did Ryan Hall (USA's fastest marathoner) say the new carbon shoe craze is a "game changer"? (Armstrong's podcast) Are stiffer soles only advantageous for runners?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I'm still inclined to believe that a cyclist in running shoes and cages isn't as efficient as the same rider in clipped-in road shoes. It's simply illogical.

On a similar point:

Why did Ryan Hall (USA's fastest marathoner) say the new carbon shoe craze is a "game changer"? (Armstrong's podcast) Are stiffer soles only advantageous for runners?

The carbon plate in the running shoes, such as the VF4%, isn't there to make the shoe stiffer but to create energy return as it springs back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:

On a similar point:

Cycling really only involves generating power by pounding down on the pedals with the quads at least at high inertia and high RPM (like 40 kph, 90 RPM). If we are talking low intertia (like 10-15 kph) and low RPM (like 50-70 RPM) like in steep hillclimbing then pulling up has some benefit. But otherwise its really low force pounding down on the pedals....running shoes with rat trap pedals and you're gnerating just as much power as the $500 mouldable carbon shoes. Like I said, those shoes MAY be more aero , but power wise, like another person said on this thread...flip flop SPD system would probably be just as powerful assuming your arches are strong enough (which they should be if you are runner because there is way more instantaneous force each stride through the arch at 180 strides per minute running than there is during 90 RPM cycling).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No difference in power: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMCYYNTWUY

Road shoes tend to have a more secure fit, but tri shoes are easier to get in and out of. For comfort reasons, many pros opt for road shoes (typically w/boa closures) for longer events where lightning fast transitions are less of an issue:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_pictures_5187.html

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Are road shoes faster than tri shoes? [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus he gets paid to say that. Let's not forget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Power transfer” is one of those BS catchphrases like “laterally stiff but vertically compliant “ or “we're going to build a wall, and have Mexico pay for it”.

If you repeat BS often enough, some people actually start to believe it.

I have never owned a carbon soled bike shoe in my entire life. I also use crappy $40 SPD (mtb cleat) Wellgo road pedals.

Between the shoes and pedals not “being optimized for power transfer” like that, it’s a miracle I can pedal a bike at all.

Or conversely: I’m just a grand in shoes and pedals away from winning the TdF.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply