Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are cycling caps cool?
Quote | Reply
Tongue and cheek question. Will I look like a cool hip cyclist instead of a 40 year old used to be fit fatty with a cycling cap? My fiancée got one with a used kit she bought. It’s all faded and beat up... matches her kit... I’m super jealous as I’ve never had a cap. So I have a near skull one coming in the mail soon (damn it Amazon deliver literally everything else next day).

As a baldy I have an ever extending collection of skull caps and bandanas. If I like this cap I’ll probably get more. Anyone else think the bill turned up look is still cool or am I just old and pathetic?

By the way living with teens and working with 20 somethings I’ve become perfectly fine and made my piece with old and pathetic.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore one for one for a year and came to realize for me they look dorky while riding bill flipped up. Down is not as bad but dont wear one anymore and sold the few I had.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always thought they looked naff.
If I need some warmth I've always used a buff under the helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like wearing one under my helmet for cold rainy rides (bill down).

But I don’t do cold rainy rides anymore....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a sort of related note, I'm honestly curious if any of these caps are helpful for sweat drip reduction as well?

The last time I tried a cycling cap was like 8 years ago, and I don't think I had a 'good' brand - I was hoping the brim would reduce glare, which it did somewhat, but I still had a hard time with sweat accumulation.

I'd definitely want to try it again - with the bright sun in Norcal here, I definitely am needing a brim of some sort to reduce glare, and would love some sweat reduction too.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I like wearing one under my helmet for cold rainy rides (bill down).

But I don’t do cold rainy rides anymore....

I do like them for rainy rides with bill down but also to block the sun on bright days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear one regularly. I think it can look cool for training, not racing. The bill offers some sun, wind, and rain protection. The hat some sun protection for your skull, and a bit of warmth. I also really appreciate the sweat wicking - a headband or skull cap look infinitely worse. I wear it bill down most of the time. Up only when I’m in the drops or at the cafe. Note that the ultra large sunglasses these days aren’t really compatible with caps, both from a fit and looks perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when playing 2-on-2 basketball in Venice Beach

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like Wesley Snipes in White Men Can't Jump? He was rockin a sweet Colnago cap! and a Time one at another game. Tried to get the image, but I'm lazy on Saturday

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Last edited by: Barry S.: Mar 13, 21 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stuff one in my back pocket to put on when I get off the bike so I'm not walking around with "helmet hair." Don't usually wear one while riding, though.

RandMart wrote:
Only when playing 2-on-2 basketball in Venice Beach

Colonago cap FTMFW!

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
Tried to get the image, but I'm lazy on Saturday

I can never get pix to work on my phone

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only have one, but need a few more. Bald these days so nothing else to absorb my sweat.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found they help keep the sweat from dripping into my eyes. I'm old enough that I've accepted nothing will look cool on me like it does on a ripped 25-yr old, so... can't comment on that end. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This- I think they are for rainy/cold rides with bill flipped down, posing at the coffee shop post ride, or if you are covering a bald head.

For any other use- Especially casual wear (not wearing kit) - they are not cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t these proliferate in the days sans helmet? Feels like an anachronism
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
This- I think they are for rainy/cold rides with bill flipped down, posing at the coffee shop post ride, or if you are covering a bald head.

For any other use- Especially casual wear (not wearing kit) - they are not cool.

^^^^^This.

They look good at the cafe stop, or any other time you are in cycling kit; but not with non-cycling clothing.

You never see pro cyclists wearing one unless they are kitted up. For travel and other casual instances if they wear a cap it's a ball cap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
On a sort of related note, I'm honestly curious if any of these caps are helpful for sweat drip reduction as well?

The last time I tried a cycling cap was like 8 years ago, and I don't think I had a 'good' brand - I was hoping the brim would reduce glare, which it did somewhat, but I still had a hard time with sweat accumulation.

I'd definitely want to try it again - with the bright sun in Norcal here, I definitely am needing a brim of some sort to reduce glare, and would love some sweat reduction too.

For sweat reduction, the tech fabric cycling caps work better than the cotton ones. Basically, the more the fabric can spread out the sweat across the surface and allow it to evaporate, the less likely it is to saturate out and get drippy. I have a Champion Systems one that works fairly well, but the best one for me is the Castelli AC cap (it's basically a skully with a brim....great under a helmet, hideous on its own).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I havent got a massive head but I have yet to find a cap that fits. No cycling cap manufacturers one size doesn't fit all.
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
I havent got a massive head but I have yet to find a cap that fits. No cycling cap manufacturers one size doesn't fit all.
h

https://rotheracycling.com/ makes caps in XS and XL. No idea how those fit, but their 'one size fits all' is pretty generous. Their wool caps with the ear flaps are amazing for cold weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My forehead is growing pretty fast, so I have to wear one (Rothera) under my helmet, otherwise I'll have some pretty goofy tan lines. I cringe at the thought of anyone seeing me wearing it casually, so I take it off immediately with my helmet when I'm done riding.

It's a must for keeping the sweat out of my eyes and sunglasses, too. I forgot it on Friday before I set out on my long ride and had to wipe off my sunglasses every 30 minutes or so. I've tried a headband before, but it just didn't feel right.

Oh, and flip that bill up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so just so I understand. In the rain bill down yes.

Sunny day ride bill up like a boss.

Cafe still in a sweaty kit sipping on a $12 coffee yes. Bill up.

But never without a kit on... exception playing and hustling 2 on 2 basketball.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

Colonago cap FTMFW!

Best that internet sleuthing could yield was that they randomly did that to give an obvious stylistic que to each basketball player in the movie.

I'd have to guess that perhaps somebody on set randomly threw it on early in production when someone said "stop, we need something here" and it stuck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are cycling caps cool?

On this one, I'll fully admit that I do tend to follow The Rules ( Where I think they are correct) - Under a helmet for some sun or rain protection - yes. Kept on head, when stopping at the cafe mid-ride, OK, but for all other times . . No!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Are cycling caps cool? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy Howdy I pretty much lived in cycling caps for years and years before we rode with helmets. Backwards to keep the sun off the neck and time trial mode. Bill down centered most of the time or favoring the sun side left or right. They also kept bees out of your hair if it was longer and curly.
I still have a few of them around that I wear sans helmet when going to the pub, the coffeeshop or fishing on the bike. I know I should always wear a helmet, but short townie slow rides are a risk I take.
Quote Reply

Prev Next