Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are Zipp 404's strong enough? [The Real Animal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That there is the problem. People need to race more.

Agreed.

Not sure what this aversion to actually racing is. Isn't that the reason that we do all this? I see this right through the ranks from beginners right on up to vets gunning for podium places and qualifying spots for IMH. Why?

More that just a reason for why we do this, racing is the best training at so many levels.

Now, I know what people are going to say - "Those races are so expensive", but I think that with all due respect these people have a very limited definition of what a "race" is - a Big Event Long Course Triathlon. Yes, those are expensive, and the costs to do many of those would be a limiter. However, there are all kinds of local events, 5k fun runs, bike club ITT's, Road races, and centuries, Masters swim meets and open water swimming races, that can be done and be part of your racing schedule.

Think outside the box!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zipp 404's strong enough? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy archives Batman!

I wrote that 5 years ago.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zipp 404's strong enough? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zipp 404's strong enough? [afie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same quandary. I wanted to get a Powertap to train and race with, but I couldn't afford two wheelsets with a Powertap. So I got the Zipp 404 clinchers, which are fantastically strong, as Josh at Zipp posted. I have seen too many cracked carbon tubular rims at my LBS to have any desire to buy a full carbon wheelset for both training and racing.

Spot

Quote | Reply
This was handy thread I searched .... I am making a deal on 28 spoke zipp 404's...... I have Boyd's and Cosmic Carbones... Just want to rock some new wheels... Lol

J

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zipp 404's strong enough? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
A friend of mine cracked his 404 rim. I don't know if this is typical, but I tend to think race wheels are best for racing and you should get some bombproof training wheels for the rest of the time.

I have cracked a 404 and a 303 front rim hitting man hole covers in crits. Didn't even get a full season out of either one. I'm pretty much done with carbon race wheels at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zipp 404's strong enough? [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go with ENVEs. they're bombproof and a good training/racing wheelset.
Quote Reply

Prev Next