Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are You Guys Watching Sebastian Weber's Videos?
Quote | Reply
in particular this new one, on "economy". this video is 8min long, so, an easy watch. i was ready to pounce on this. i was prepared to, nicely, call bullspit, because so many coaches and academics (imho) get this wrong.

but sebastian gets it right!

we don't post too much on training on slowtwitch, because this requires a current attention to the applicable science; and the understanding of the sport from the point of view of elite athletes; that makes it hard for us to generate content i feel comfortable asking you to rely on. for example, sebastian shatters the myth that economy - as it's usually measured - is the standalone arbiter of training adaptation. if you're going to speak with this kind of confidence you really better know what you're talking about.

this is part 1 of 2, on economy, and i get the sense the shoe is going to drop in part-2, as in, if not VO2, then what?

these guys, at INSCYD, are making a big splash in the highest echelons of sport, e.g., pro tour cycling. here's the video if you don't want to migrate to the home page to get to it:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Are You Guys Watching Sebastian Weber's Videos? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These were excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Are You Guys Watching Sebastian Weber's Videos? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
These were excellent.

yes. they have been. this has been a master class on the state of the art in high performance coaching. this is a lifting of the veil, so you see who's coaching the best of the best.

but i sense this is going to get very interesting, maybe with the next installment, because (i truly don't know) my instinct tells me that a lot of the terms of art that have quantified and regulated your work, and that have prescribed your regimes, are going to perhaps be displaced by next-generation metrics. if so, this is going to cause some upheaval, because so much of the industry is tied to existing metrics.

for example, HR was largely displaced by power, and derivates of power, a generation ago. i think we may be at the point where another change may be happening. not that power becomes irrelevant. i don't know what's coming. but i think sebastian might be angling toward something. we'll see.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to watch these videos and they are very informative of what physiological processes are at play when running or cycling for x hours at y speed. But all in all, unless you are being coached at a high level and subscribe to frequent testing, I am not sure that this knowledge about physiology has any meaningful impact to my training. As an average Joe athlete I am training by far not structured enough that I could tell what training regimen would lead to what kind of metabolic adaptations. All I can do is run a 5k tt once in a while and compare my times and do a FTP test....none of which lets me guess my metabolic profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Are You Guys Watching Sebastian Weber's Videos? [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uw234 wrote:
I like to watch these videos and they are very informative of what physiological processes are at play when running or cycling for x hours at y speed. But all in all, unless you are being coached at a high level and subscribe to frequent testing, I am not sure that this knowledge about physiology has any meaningful impact to my training. As an average Joe athlete I am training by far not structured enough that I could tell what training regimen would lead to what kind of metabolic adaptations. All I can do is run a 5k tt once in a while and compare my times and do a FTP test....none of which lets me guess my metabolic profile.

i can't be sure, but i sense that at a certain the ramifications may become more clear for the end user. or not. i don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The broad applicability of these concepts largely depend on the knowledge of your metabolic profile and only when these profiles are known can the training be prescribed. The power performance decoder will probably become a great tool but currently one run still costs like 200 EUR. Once the price comes down to like 100 I would be willing to test every few month... But for highly ambitious athletes it will likely be different.
Quote Reply