Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are Giant SL1 55mm decent wheels?
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone has knowledge or experience with Giant SL1 55mm wheels. I am looking for a pair of aero wheels and a set popped up in local listings for a good price. I haven't seen any posts discussing them or testing data. I plan to mostly race olympic/half distance and maybe do a full distance every year or two. Link for reference: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...on-alloy-road-wheels

Would they hold up to daily riding? Some people seem to only use their aero wheels for races.
The other wheels I was considering were Flo 60s or HED jet 6s, are these comparable? The Flo/HEDs have 25mm rim width, while the giants have 23. What difference does the width make?
My plan was to get a wheel cover for the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Giant SL1 55mm decent wheels? [LuceroNoOh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own the older SLR1's in 50mm.

Work great for me, and they were a used set. I think over the years they've used DT hubs in the 240 lineup. Might still be that way.

Just be aware with fairing aero wheels and with hidden nipple carbon wheels, truing means removing tire/tube and the rim tape, or if it is tubeless going through that hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own Giant SLR 0 Aero 55mm for 3 years.
Great wheels, aero, efficient, comfortable, still working perfectly with no issues after 3 years. Bearing still perfectly working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't remember where the study was posted, but there was something about this wheel having an abnormally high number of watts to start it spinning or something, which I read as meaning it had a sticky hub. It was so high compared to the next wheel that I thought it was a mistake. Everything else about the wheel held its own in the test. Someone here probably knows the test.

When Giant aero wheels pop up in classifieds, they are usually so well-priced that it's not even going to be a major issue if you have to sell them at a small loss and move on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends on the price you're able to get them at. Compared to the HED Jets, they're a little heavier while having less spokes. HED usually comes with 18/24, this seems to come with 16/20. I personally would never get a spoke count that low unless I had someone following me with spare wheels. YMMV.

As far as rim width, the HEDs are only 2 mm wider, but I would guess that the internal width might be 4 mm wider. The HEDs are 21 mm internal. I would guess these Giants are 17 mm internal...but that's just a guess. It's really the internal width that matters when it comes to shaping a tire and ability to run lower pressures.

I wouldn't say you should stay away from these wheels. For the right price, they can be "worth it." I agree with one of the posters above though that I'm not a fan of internal nipples. I do a lot of sprinting on my wheels (road bike use) and I always need some minor truing from time to time. Which is also why I prefer more spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Giant SL1 55mm decent wheels? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could certainly do worse. I don't think i'd rush out and buy them but if they came stock on a bike I'd be more than happy to hang onto them.
Quote Reply