Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AquaBikers on the run course?
Quote | Reply
Since I didn't get to do my big race in Miami I had to settle for picking apart other competitor's race times and photos. You know, for next year God willing...

The guy I figured would win, didn't (slow swim), the guy who won I hadn't previously scoped out before but he had a very strong race. The guy who came in second is a FOP in my age group, no surprise. But here's the question, why are there race photos of the #2 finisher and the guy who I picked to win both on the run course and coming through the run finish arch?

Quote:
New for 2018* In 2018 and beyond, athletes will not be permitted to register for both Long Course Triathlon and Long Course Aquabike races concurrently. Athletes may only choose one event to race in on Sunday, Nov. 11. However, athletes interested in racing in two events may race in the National Championship Aquathlon on Saturday, Nov. 10 and any individual event on Sunday, Nov. 11.

USAT Competitive Rule 3.5 states:

• Any person who participates in any portion of a sanctioned event without first properly registering and paying any required registration fee shall be suspended or barred from membership in USAT and barred from any participation in any sanctioned event for a period of up to one year.

I must be missing something being new to the sport after a 35 year layoff. Sure seems like these guys finished the Aquabike and just went for a run.

Upon further examination it looks like the Aquabikers ended their race at the bike timing mat and then were directed back to the finish area via the end of the run course. Weird.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Nov 18, 18 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been at local events where aquabikers have to run from run out to the finish line for timing purposes. HITS did not the time I did an aquabike at one of them though, so it’s certainly not universal. Are there pictures of them way out on the run course or just at the arch?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the arch but I just looked up photos of all the guys in my AG and they are all coming through run finish, one guy is walking and doesn't have any shoes on. I think I answered my question LOL.

Maybe someone who did the AquaBike can clue me in. The last 2 Multirace events I did we finished at the bike timing mat and that was it. No victory photo available. I'm not sure what purpose there is in sending these folks down the last 200 meters of the run course.

- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody who ran anything there “just for fun” should have his/her head examined! It was brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
At the arch but I just looked up photos of all the guys in my AG and they are all coming through run finish, one guy is walking and doesn't have any shoes on. I think I answered my question LOL.

Maybe someone who did the AquaBike can clue me in. The last 2 Multirace events I did we finished at the bike timing mat and that was it. No victory photo available. I'm not sure what purpose there is in sending these folks down the last 200 meters of the run course.

The folks were give the opportunity to have a race photo of their finish. Optional. Timing ended at the bike finish.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mystery solved, thanks.

- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time to dump aquabike, require that it be a relay with a runner, if someone wants to just swim-bike
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Time to dump aquabike, require that it be a relay with a runner, if someone wants to just swim-bike

I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the International Aquabike (.6 / 22) and yes, when you crossed the timing mat after dismounting your bike your race was effectively over.

We had to rack our bikes anyway and then we had to leave transition as there was no reason to stay.

The finish arch was only 20-40 yards away and that's where you got:

• finish photo (not a big deal as an aquabiker was already finished and without shoes
• finishers medal
• water / gatorade

and that was it.

All in all a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have to ask, is there something about people unable to compete in the run that inherently bothers you? Just curious. I don't hear anyone ask for the end of duathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [AquaBikePatti65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AquaBikers Unite!

I'm not sure why some folks here have a thing against AquaBike. How does it even effect other triathletes on the course?

- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly! It falls under the same category as people in the front 3rd of the pack caring about cut off times for the BOP competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
AquaBikers Unite!

I'm not sure why some folks here have a thing against AquaBike. How does it even effect other triathletes on the course?

Right?

If someone can’t run or just chooses not to, I’m still excited to have them out there, doing their thing, being fit, competing, etc.

Good for them!
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Fuller wrote:
AquaBikers Unite!

Right?

If someone can’t run or just chooses not to, I’m still excited to have them out there, doing their thing, being fit, competing, etc.

Good for them!

+1 more

My knees are efffffed. Doesn't mean I don't like to mix it up on the swim/bike.
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...
I didn't know Aquabike even existed. I want to begin doing some triathlons next year. I am mainly a cyclist, but I can swim, and I like it too. But my body just doesn't seem to be compatible with running. I've been trying for the last 3-4 years. I just stopped last week after progressing to the 7 minute mark (walk-run pyramid). with a soleus ''tear'' or something like that. I'll try something else when the leg gets better but my though was to just do the swim and bike for the events next summer.
But. It just doesn't seem to be understandable for any triathlete. All of them told me the same thing: just walk the whole run. I don't really care about ''finishing'' a triathlon. I prefer to be competitive with myself and my limits in the first two sports, and then just call it quits. Who does it bother ?
As to Aquabike, I don't think there will ever be such events in our part of the world. Even if there were, come to think of it I don't think I'd participate. I'd rather exlain why I didn't finish a triathlon than explain that ''stange'' event I did for people that don't run....lol
You're right, race officials should direct the participants that don't finish an event so they don't cross the finish line, and ''shock'' the public (I guess the race chips take care of the official results) ;-) !!

Louis :)
Last edited by: louisn: Nov 20, 18 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you in the US, and if so, what part? Here in the US you can compete in Regional and National Championships, which I did this year! I love aquabike, and if my leg does not hold up (I am attempting to start training my run again for 2019) I will go whole-hog aquabike again! Definitely check it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only issue with AquaBike is explaining it to people:

Me, "Hey I'm doing an AquaBike race next month"

Random friend, "So do the pontoons on your bike slow you down when you're not in the water?"

Me, "I'm an old guy with bad knees, cut me some slack"

- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquabike is just a continuing of lowered standards in a time when you can also identify as anything. It would be better for the RD to force tri relay, as the runner would have to pay extra for that leg. Plus less timing mishaps when everyone does same distance and course. Competition is diluting too much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Aquabike is just a continuing of lowered standards in a time when you can also identify as anything. It would be better for the RD to force tri relay, as the runner would have to pay extra for that leg. Plus less timing mishaps when everyone does same distance and course. Competition is diluting too much

I'm sorry I don't meet your standards...

- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of like identifying as an expert in what is actually a legitimate sport when you are actually an internet troll?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The prestige of tri is suffering in the run when your upper body is jacked from the swim and legs like jelly from the bike. Aquabike is a swim then sleep session on aerobars .... And I say all this as I have stress fracture in foot and cannot run
Last edited by: synthetic: Nov 20, 18 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
The prestige of tri is suffering in the run when your upper body is jacked from the swim and legs like jelly from the bike. Aquabike is a swim then sleep session on aerobars .... And I say all this as I have stress fracture in foot and cannot run

There's not a lot of prestige in triathlon to begin with. Most people think we're a bunch of wackos in speedos and lycra. But being able to run after being jacked up by the swim and beaten down by the bike is the whole point of triathlon. It sounds like you are a poor swimmer, a slow biker and now you can't run because your foot is injured. Enjoy your time on the couch...

- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquabike is a discipline. Just like duathlon. Just like Aquathon. There were two national champions Aquabike events in Miami.

The 50 free is no less an event than the 1500 free. Different focus; different set of skills. Is a 100 free at the Olympics lame because it doesn’t have 300 meters of fly, breast and back?

Is a bike TT not real because it doesn’t have a swim?

I do between 6-10 Triathlon’s (yes w running!) a year and focused on the international Aquabike as I wanted a shorter course race and the Olympic distance triathlon was not a national championship.

My knees aren’t shot and I love running but for this race I focused on swim and bike and I did well and loved it.

If you don’t want to do these races ... don’t do them! Just don’t understand why the need to bash them.
Quote Reply
Re: AquaBikers on the run course? [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Aquabike is a discipline. Just like duathlon. Just like Aquathon. There were two national champions Aquabike events in Miami.

The 50 free is no less an event than the 1500 free. Different focus; different set of skills. Is a 100 free at the Olympics lame because it doesn’t have 300 meters of fly, breast and back?

Is a bike TT not real because it doesn’t have a swim?

I do between 6-10 Triathlon’s (yes w running!) a year and focused on the international Aquabike as I wanted a shorter course race and the Olympic distance triathlon was not a national championship.

My knees aren’t shot and I love running but for this race I focused on swim and bike and I did well and loved it.

If you don’t want to do these races ... don’t do them! Just don’t understand why the need to bash them.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you the same guy who trolled the 100/100 run challenge last year because it wasn't hardcore enough for you?

synthetic wrote:
And I say all this as I have stress fracture in foot and cannot run

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply

Prev Next