Login required to post replies

Prev Next
April fish thread
Quote | Reply
Post 'em!
7.5 mi run + 1600m swim + strength

swim was 2 x [500 swim + 50 kick] then another 500 mixing swim and kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night
8 100s free @1:30
8 100 kick @2:15. 50 kick 25 uw dolphin 25 dolphin on back
4 100 IM @1:50 last one 1:23
2 200IM @3:30 last on 2:55

Did the broken 200im on minute interval 32,38,44,32 felt sluggish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to April...

Ill see if I can figure out how to post a video of my buddy pushing a 52 during todays speed set.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ain't no foolin'

First lake swim of the season.

Full regalia - top to toes!.

Out: 14 min. mix of breast/head up free.

Back: 11 min. mix of head in and head out free.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday:

easy day, trying not to be beat up for virtual tri over this weekend.

300 easy
8x50 drill
3x100 IM
4x100 odds with Aqua Knuckles, even swim, same effort on both
3x200 as 50 fast turnover, 100 cruise, 50 build
4x50 cruise

2200scy

this morning: virtual olympic swim segment

300 easy
8x50 drill
5x50 as 4 strong, 1 easy

1650 hard - 18:33. About where I expected, but didn't like the way I split it. Tried to swim it like it was a tri (go out fast, then settle and build) but the pool is too damn hot.
500 splits were 5:29-5:39-5:42. Cap came off at the 1500. Tried to back off around the 500 mark to delay the overheat, but I don't think it helped.

8x50 warm down

3000scy

For those that care, I was in a silicone cap and my 'best' pair of jammers, which are like 5 year old TYR mid-level ones (under $100 at time of purchase), not any of the $250+ racing suits, no cheating with some floaty pants. Pool is ~86F, air temp just under 50F. I think I could go faster if I went out to the river and swam with the current in a wetsuit, so it will be interesting to see some of the other times turned in. Hell I could go faster with paddles and a mondo swimrun buoy and the data file would never know the difference.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi run 64:30
4200 scm swim - birthday set a day early (I turn 34 tomorrow)

40 x 100 as 6 on 1:50, 34 on 1:45
200 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 2, 21 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a suit to last five years? 6-8months max even the speedo endurance the seem splits on me. Nice swim tho holding 108s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love "birthday sets". I tend to coordinate the same one way or another via swim, bike or run. Strong work. Happy birthday!

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can get a suit to last five years? 6-8months max even the speedo endurance the seem splits on me. Nice swim tho holding 108s

That's always my issue with the polyester suits - the stitching goes before the fabric! Good problem to have, of course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I save this one for races, so I only wear it like twice a year. Otherwise yeah, suits do not last more than a year even if on a rotation.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It almost like these monthly fish threads during the pandemic are a giant jinx. Every time I get a good stretch of swimming in and build up fitness, we go back into ANOTHER lockdown and swimming is over again. I am going to get suicidal at the rate these lockdowns are going and pools getting shut down for no good public health reason. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a really good time for your 1650, but I bet in a 79 degree pool it is 17 minutes +. You sound a lot like me in that those 86 degree pools just savage us, especially when it comes to doing a full workout or a big distance tt. I have employed your cap trick in my racing since the early 80's, it always seems to fall off a couple hundred yards into the race...(-;

I woke up yesterday super crampy and just blah. Been over a year since I have been sick, and no sore throat or other old symptoms, so went to the pool to just do something super easy. Big swim was a slow build of a 2000p, and by the end my body was just going on autopilot, way faster than my breath indicated, and the water was an easy 86. But got out, legs cramped all over, then stomach, and it was 6 hours of salt pills and chips before I got back to normal:

10x100-5s@1;40(1;29 to 1;27)5 IM kick@2;10(1;59 to 1;53)
2000 easy pull descend 500's(25;54--6;38/6;30/6;26/6;20) 100 kick
3100SCY in 50 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After yesterdays bad feeling day, doing a lot better today with no cramping at wake up time. Salt and magnesium all absorbed and feel almost normal. So set out to do the same exact set as yesterday, but decided instead of a 2k, did just a 1650 at much better paces;

10x100-5s@1;40(1;28 to 1;22)5IM kick@2;10(1;57 to 1;47)
1650p build(20;54--6;26/6;19/6;15/1;51)200 IM kick easy(4;03)
8x50 buoy@;50(39's)
3250SCY in 54 minutes

So streak of not being really sick is still in tact, gonna miss this state of affairs when all the kids go back to school and we all start passing germs around again..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pools in my country resumed operation this month. I got in the first day, timed a 1500, and got 2 minutes faster than pre-COVID despite the lack of training. However it's too hot (27°C) now so I won't do any long training sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to wish you a happy 34th! It looks like back in January of 2007 we were in touch about Panera Cinnamon Crunch bagels...so 14 years of following your monthly swim threads!

Plan for Birthday Saturday is a 5k race followed by 1500 in the pool afterwards. Alas, no cinnamon crunch bagels for this old guy anymore!😉 Have a wonderful day Alyie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Pfizer shot Thursday at lunch. I was in/out of Walgreens in 10 minutes. Light stinging in arm initially and later slight headache and I took two Tylenol and I worked late. Friday morning just a little soreness in arm but not worth talking about. Went for a workout Friday after work.

8 100s 1:30
6 100s 1:40 pull 75fr/25br
6 150s kick 100easy/50hard
12 25s@30 IM order

Planned the kick main set even though I didn’t need it. 25s went well. I need to up my yardage a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably my only post for April since I won't swim the whole month. I had my back surgery on the 31st and PT had me walking the next day. I immediately noticed a return strength to my left leg, no drop foot and no hip pain. My back hurts like hell, though. That'll clear up, but I gotta be pretty conservative. See ya all in May... maybe.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I to got the 1st Pfizer shot at Walgreens on Friday afternoon. Did 45 minutes on bike that night and rode my usual distance/time but heart rate about 10bpm lower and felt easy.

Saturday swam 3300 SCY and arm where got shot a little local soreness. Prepared to go slowly/low stress but had one of my better workouts in a year. Go figure?

1500 (20:57, slight negative split)/3x100k
Pull set on 1:30 base (200, 2x150, 3x100: 1:16s)
4x50k on 75 (58-60)
8x50 on 60 IM order (38-46)/100 cool down/drill
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you got your 1st shot, and like you, I had a really good workout after that first one. But these past few days I have just been low on electrolytes, but not feeling sick at all. It has gotten a bit hotter, in the 80's now, so perhaps just my bodies reaction. Got in today with dan at the low pool, but hot so just did the bare minimum.

100WU
10x200@3;20-3swim(2;55/49/40)4-buoy(2;40/39/39/36)3pull(2;28/27/23)
300 super easy breast/back to work out cramps
2400SCY
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, glad to hear you are healing much faster than the usual 65+ YEAR OLD!! But of course you would being you, so there is that..Hopefully the surgery will do what it was supposed to, and you can surpass past expectations. I swam again today, wife has been shut down from running due to a twisted ankle, so she is getting her workout fix in the pools. I still am having heating issues, either broke a fever last night or dreamt that I was on fire. But body feels fine, just that excessive loss of electrolytes that is cramping my style.

3x(300s@5;00/200 breast@4;00/100back@2;00/200IM kick@4;30, strong descend) 300's(swim-4;26/buoy-4;02/pull-3;37) Breast's(3;16/3;07/3;02) Back's(1;27/1;25/1;22)kicks(3;51/3;47/3;49)
300/200/100p@1;30 base recovery descend/200IM kick (3;59/2;37/1;14)(3;59)
2x50 buoy(41/40)
3300SCY in 60 minutes
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, MarkM!

6.8 mi run + 1300m straight easy swim this morning

Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty,

First day "back" from a pre-determined 'week off' post second covid shot. Just posted on that thread too. Swam today.
I pretty much moved through this by going on the nearest top or bottom. Didnt follow clock too much except for #6 where was able to hold about 1:16s on the backstroke stuff. Otherwise, just moving.

8 x 800 as:
1. 150free 50 back, 150 free 50 kob, 150 free 50scull, 200 swim
2. 150swim 50kick (alternated KOB and with board)
3. 150swim 50 scull
4. ALL KICK w board
5. 75swim 25 fly
6. 75 swim 25 back
7. 75swim 25 breast
8. 4x100 as 5 stroke alactate work on 1st 25 then easy 75, followed by 400 straight "warm down"
6400 scy

Here is thursdays speed set: (rumor has it we have picked up a local pro triathlete who wants to join... ha, will be interesting)

2 x 50 on 1:30 max sprint
1 x 25 on :45 max sprint
100 max sprint
300 easy between rounds

So quick recap: first sprint set (each done twice) was 200 yards sprint before break, the next set was 250 yards before a break, last time was 300 yards sprint and this 350yards before a break.

PHEW!!!!! Im nervous just typing it.

all the best,

DaveD

Ps. i thought you and dev would like the "stroke" work i did today :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got in 4 practices in last 6 days. I'm getting ready to ramp it up and start swimming a little faster.

Sat. I did 3k and I did six 25s off the blocks sprints on 1:20. 3 fly and 3 free
Mon night. 3400 and for the main set 12 x100s as 50fl/50bk, 50bk/50br, 50br/50fr and 50fr/50fl 3x through on 1:45 on the 100s with fly and 1:50 for the breast ones. flyback combo i was around 1:17 and freefly was around 1:13 so I got a little bit of speed going on those. Noticed my fly I had my hips up high and a good dps so it was a noticable improvement.

Heading to Bullhead city this weekend as I have to get my boat serviced might get in a lake swim on Mohave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Monty,

First day "back" from a pre-determined 'week off' post second covid shot. Just posted on that thread too. Swam today.
I pretty much moved through this by going on the nearest top or bottom. Didnt follow clock too much except for #6 where was able to hold about 1:16s on the backstroke stuff. Otherwise, just moving.

8 x 800 as:
1. 150free 50 back, 150 free 50 kob, 150 free 50scull, 200 swim
2. 150swim 50kick (alternated KOB and with board)
3. 150swim 50 scull
4. ALL KICK w board
5. 75swim 25 fly
6. 75 swim 25 back
7. 75swim 25 breast
8. 4x100 as 5 stroke alactate work on 1st 25 then easy 75, followed by 400 straight "warm down"
6400 scy

Here is thursdays speed set: (rumor has it we have picked up a local pro triathlete who wants to join... ha, will be interesting)

100 max sprint
300 easy between rounds

So quick recap: first sprint set (each done twice) was 200 yards sprint before break, the next set was 250 yards before a break, last time was 300 yards sprint and this 350yards before a break.

PHEW!!!!! Im nervous just typing it.

all the best,

DaveD

Ps. i thought you and dev would like the "stroke" work i did today :)

Are you swimming in your buddy's private bunker right now? The way things are going if I ever cash out I am building a 2 lane swimming pool with a bed and bathroom attached. Optionally one more room to put a treadmill, trainer and kitchen and an internet connection. This is all I need to live in this lockdown world. Then I can overtrain in my own bubble and the government can't stop me with all these constant lockdowns!!!!

I'm fed up....ready to jump off a cliff, but there are no cliff's nearby, and it seems like jumping in front of buses does not kill me, so I'll just have to endure the rest of lockdown and wait for the pools to open back up since there is no easy way to die myself out of this lockdown and go to heaven with my personal 50m pool LOL!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: April fish thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

Yeah. My buddy has a 2 lane indoor (with big doors to open when it is nice out and glass ceilings to watch the weather as you swim). It is ... well, its been a gift and one that has really helped me.
Swimming is my thing and I would really suffer more with depression if I did not have this as an outlet. So I get the cliff jumping and bus diving.. but I am glad youre still here pal and if you can hold on a bit longer, things will ease.

I had a good couple of days back in the saddle of training this week but def still hampered by that second vax shot. OOOF man, moderna (for me) was just nasty. I have these very pointed headaches and some dizziness when I did my runs the past two days. Didnt help I was doing intervals this am with a friend who can run my legs off. We did some 1/4s and half mile efforts on a running path and strava says I was at 5:24/mile pace.... maybe that was the cause of the dizziness.. haha

Take care buddy. Get your swims in when you can. Hope we can all get together soon

daved

Quote Reply

Prev Next