Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they typo'd my 200 time, I'm sure the timers told me 2:11 and no way I was only .2 behind you.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that’s what got entered, that’s what counts!

That was a fun race. 100 fly was a tiny bit anticlimactic for me, I was the only one in the pool. :-(

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh geez, that's sucky!

It was a good race, you pushed me a bit faster than if I had been on my own for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam 1500m in the lake today. Did a wetsuit swim just in case Cactus Man is a wetsuit swim, but if the air temp holds out it will probably be too warm at Tempe town lake.

My girlfriend's first wetsuit swim and she was freaking out. Honestly, the constriction of a wetsuit gets used to, we probably should have done a few more of these and will do so before the Mountain man Olympic.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If that’s what got entered, that’s what counts!

That was a fun race. 100 fly was a tiny bit anticlimactic for me, I was the only one in the pool. :-(

I had that effect in the 200 breast. I was the only one in my age group! 3:57 for my first time doing that event. I may have taken the first part too easy as I was able to go a bit faster for the final 50m....but I suppose that is what you want.

400 free sucked. I took the first 50m out too fast, and then basically slowed down where my final 300m was the exact pace as my 1500 free and I believe my final 100m was slower than in the 100 free in the 400IM! In any case that meet was a good experience.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, great race you guys, without looking at splits, it looks like it came down to the wire. And you two were in a totally different race than the rest. You really need to figure out a way to swim in our nationals, someone on you no matter how fast you swim...

Post up your times, that results sheet is like reading Japanese, up and down, backwards, and all over the place...
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it was a good race. We were even at the 50 and the 100. I started inching ahead at about the 125.

I had a look at the splits from the time card, from memory they were 28-mid, 1:01-mid, 1:35 and 2:10.2. We think there’s a typo on z28’s time, he was given a 2:11 by the timer. We were both pretty dead at the end, that was certainly my best race of the afternoon. My strategy was simple, go out hard and just hang on as best I could.

My 50 fly was 28.73. I’ll give that a B rating. I swam fine, but blew the turn and the finish (glided into both). The reason is that I was trying to just keep my head down and minimize the number of breaths, but then I couldn’t sight the wall. It’s not something I ever practice, so it’s no surprise that the execution wasn’t great.

100 fly was a 1:04.25. I just found it hard to push myself as the only one in the pool.

After the meet I came home and had to take our dog to the emergency clinic. She’s in a lot of pain, most likely diagnosis is back pain / slipped disc. She’s on 4 drugs now (anti inflammatory, 2 pain meds, and a muscle relaxer) and she has to be kept basically inactive for the next 3 weeks. Poor thing...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 28, 19 4:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hey, great race you guys, without looking at splits, it looks like it came down to the wire. And you two were in a totally different race than the rest. You really need to figure out a way to swim in our nationals, someone on you no matter how fast you swim...

Post up your times, that results sheet is like reading Japanese, up and down, backwards, and all over the place...

We’re just such a small swimming scene here in the maritimes. One of our faster women went to Toronto to swim at Ontario provincials, much higher level of competition there. And then there’s nationals next month, which I’ve always had people to push me at every event. I’m not going, but I’m not swimming fast enough right now to warrant the trip.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endurance swim

Wu:
300ez
6x50(20") @50s

MS:
100/200/300/400;500/500 (20s) @1:45pace

Cd: 300ez
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason's description of the 200 is pretty much spot on. My legs were absolute dead weight for the final 25. 2:11 is a 10 second PB for me as a masters swimmer and not far off my best time as a kid (I want to say 2:09 but it was an event I hardly ever swam)

100 free for me was 1:00.43 - not a full on effort, I just made sure I beat the guy in the lane beside me. This ended up being closer to the 1500 than I planned when I signed up for it so I didn't want to go all-in on it. I was actually planning on going even easier since the seed time of the lane beside me was only a 1:05 but dude came out of nowhere and put down a 1:00.8 on me!

1500 free I did 1 19:16.40 which I'm pretty happy with, this is a 44 second PB for me. I could see the pace clock on the wall as I swam and for the first 800-1000 I was right around 1:16/100m but then I started fading a bit. Left goggle lens slowly filled with water and the last 500 my depth perception for the turns was off so a bunch of them were short or long. I'm going to swim this again for Nationals and hopefully with a few weeks of solid training and a bit better execution I can drop a bunch more time off this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Jason's description of the 200 is pretty much spot on. My legs were absolute dead weight for the final 25. 2:11 is a 10 second PB for me as a masters swimmer and not far off my best time as a kid (I want to say 2:09 but it was an event I hardly ever swam)

100 free for me was 1:00.43 - not a full on effort, I just made sure I beat the guy in the lane beside me. This ended up being closer to the 1500 than I planned when I signed up for it so I didn't want to go all-in on it. I was actually planning on going even easier since the seed time of the lane beside me was only a 1:05 but dude came out of nowhere and put down a 1:00.8 on me!

1500 free I did 1 19:16.40 which I'm pretty happy with, this is a 44 second PB for me. I could see the pace clock on the wall as I swam and for the first 800-1000 I was right around 1:16/100m but then I started fading a bit. Left goggle lens slowly filled with water and the last 500 my depth perception for the turns was off so a bunch of them were short or long. I'm going to swim this again for Nationals and hopefully with a few weeks of solid training and a bit better execution I can drop a bunch more time off this.

Congrats on your racing and the massive PB on the 1500 free. I guess dialing back a bit on the 100 free paid off. How close apart where they? Hey if your depth perception was off due to filled goggles, would you not just use the big black X on the ground before the wall to know where it is.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in that pool. The deep end is a diving well, it’s tough to sight off the bottom.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 28, 19 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Not in that pool. The deep end is a diving well, it’s tough to sight off the bottom.

OK, good luck in the racing today. I am back home now as I did all my events between Friday evening and Saturday at the Ontario meet. Main thing is I got the 400m IM PB and tried the 200m breast.

My main swims for nationals will be 1500m which is first day first swim and 400IM which is day three first swim. The hope is to break 24 min and 7 min respectively if I can get a proper lead in to Nationals in the next month. The last two month, I've been on the verge of getting sick constantly with business travel related time zone changes. Next month, I don't leave our time zone.

I think I will register for the 12K Lac Tremblant Lake crossing this Aug and Maybe the King Wolfe 11km swim in Kingston this July, but not sure I want to do a lot of long wetsuit clad swims, but I would have to get used to at least 1.5 - 2 hrs in a suit once per week to get used to the feeling for 3.5 hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, we’re done. NS provincials is a 3 hour long meet.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Oh, we’re done. NS provincials is a 3 hour long meet.

So are you guys coming out to Montreal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z28 is. I’m not going this year. Probably next year, depending on where it is held.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there Dev. Not sure what the full set of events I will do but the 200, 400 and 1500 for sure. I fly out Sunday afternoon so won't be able to do the 800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about this, if I don’t do nationals next year then I’ll do Ontario provincials.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I'll be there Dev. Not sure what the full set of events I will do but the 200, 400 and 1500 for sure. I fly out Sunday afternoon so won't be able to do the 800.

OK, that's good. Not that it matters, but I am in the 1500m and 400m free too, although I am getting kind of interested in swapping out the 400 free for 200 breast, mainly because it is something different to try. I also registered for the 25 free since it is a bonus event.

So far: 100 fly/200 fly, 200IM/400IM, 400 free/800free/1500free plus 25 free

I should also be in around 6 relays with our club (Technosport), so it should be a fun weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several days ago I took a fall on a trail run and scraped up various contact points. Had to pluck rocks out of my palms, knee and thigh. I took a couple days off swimming until yesterday, where I hit the pool for the first time in months.
We decided to try the newer pool in San Clemente. It’s really nice. 5000 yards:
1000 s 13:38
500 kwf
500 p w/paddles
500 s hard 6:38
2x250 s @ 3:30
4x125 s (1st 25 stroke reverse IM) @ 2:00
5x100 @ 1:30
10x50 @ :45
500 w/fins alt 50s kick/swim

Decided to get back with the pod this morning and decided on no wetsuit as they’ve been reporting better temperatures approaching 60°. It was 58-59° and quite a shock getting in. Soon got used to it and knocked out 2000 or so yards. Didn’t shiver much at all, post swim.
Met up with the gf,Heidi over at Reef Point where she was run-bike bricking (Pacific Coast Tri course.) I joined her for her 2nd run where she easily ran away from me – 3 miles. She went off for her second 13 mile ride and then I joined her for her third run. She killed me again! And, she called it her cool-down run.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK...someone help here for "freestyle" rules.

My buddy Michael Kenney did the 800 free as an 800IM at Masters Swimming Ontario provincials in 2018 "just because". Well MSO decided, "what the heck, maybe if we have that as an official event more people will try it".....so they did an a bunch of us did it this year.

Fast forward to Swim Ontario Provincials, Michael decided to do that today, and I am told he got DQ'd for doing the 800 free as an 800IM because after the 15m point, some part of the body has to be above water at all times which depending on your speed in breast or fly, th entire body "can" become submerged. Even if I watch Phelps there is a micro second where his lats and head are under water and butt has not come out yet....technically totally submerged

So it sounds like he is being DQ'd. Not sure if this is Swim Ontario taking things out on him because its a Swim Ontario vs MSO thing, because I clearly recall, last year at Swim Canada Nationals one of the guys was doing the 200 free as a 200 fly because the 200 fly was on day 3 and he just wanted to do the 200 fly. He did not get DQ'd.

Kind of sucks all around....its almost like DQing someone at a track meet for race walking vs not taking advantage of running or in an XC ski race DQing someone for doing classic technique in a freestyle race!!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 28, 19 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s an interpretation I hadn’t heard of before. Ive seen plenty of instances of people swimming other strokes in a free event and never heard of anyone getting dq’d for it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That’s an interpretation I hadn’t heard of before. Ive seen plenty of instances of people swimming other strokes in a free event and never heard of anyone getting dq’d for it.

This is exactly like penalizing someone for walking aid stations in a marathon....why on earth would you penalize someone for going slower. He would normally be around 12 min for 800m and did a 16+ for the IM. It's not like he went underwater after exiting at 15m and did a zillion high speed dolphin kicks to get an advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add, technically the officials are likely correct, it just isn’t a call I’ve ever seen made before.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about doing the 25 free at nationals as a 25 fly and just do the entire thing head down and see how fast I can go, but now it sounds like it is possible to get DQ'd do that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next