Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Swim Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No not at all. You are confusing rest interval with pace. My suggestion is to keep the same interval throughout, maybe take an extra 30 seconds or whatever gets the clock on top or bottom.

If you have done a 1;40 to 1;26, that is a good template to follow. So if you really are not that fast right now, start the first set at about 2;00, and descend to mid 1;30's. It doesnt have to be 5 seconds each 100, but something in that neighborhood. Just not 1 second.. The purpose of the set is to have the first two of each set to feel super easy, and #3 hard but steady. #4 is a controlled sprint. As you do the four #4's, maybe sprint one more lap on each one, until the last one where all 4 laps are all out. So first one is 3 hard, steady laps, sprinting the last one. Second #4 is 2 laps hard steady, and 2 sprinting, and so forth. That should get you a good descend on all the sets together, as well as within the sets themselves.

Nothing will be so hard that you are not fairly fresh starting the next interval, except #4. But then you get to cruise again and recover, which should have you in the 1;20's at the end somewhere..
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sick last week and skipped Tuesday. Started my distance build so I feel confident in gunning it for Cactus Man.

2x50 (1:00, 1:08) 15 sec rest
2x100 (2:14, 2:09) 30 Sec rest
2x200 (4:54, 4:52) 30 Sec rest
1x400 (10:25) 1 min rest
1x600 (16:18) 1 min rest
2x50 (1:18, 1:20) 20 sec rest

Going to push back up to 2300 and then try to speed things up to get 2500m in an hour time frame. Start working specific drills off the main big interval I'll be doing.

Gonna do an OWS on Saturday and try to push out 3000.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my favourites for actually working on speed are things like alternating easy and fast, up to about 3 easy for each fast one. That way you get a lot of active recovery and a chance to dial in technique, and to make the fast ones really fast. //

I agree, just that right now I'm just doing stuff to get healthy first. Without that, there is nothing else at the moment. I hope I can do a couple/few days of something like you suggest, along with a really good 6 to 8X100 set of breaststroke fast, to get ready for my 200's...
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Gave it a go this morning.

WU:
200ez,
2x50 kick,
2x100 la/ra/sw/sw,

MS:
4x{4x100 desc} on 2:10,
1:46/42/36/29
1:49/45/39/32
1:49/40/36/28
1:51/45/40/31

CD: 200cd

2300scy

Need more practice at pacing the middle two, obviously. Kinda all over the place. I didn't have much for an "all out" 25/50/75 on #4. Maybe that's the advance course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.5 mile run w/ 10k race, 9th FOV of 218, 50:55.
1275 yd swim

3 x 200 on 3:15
6 x 100 on 1:35
75 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4x500 mixed speeds
100-200-300-400-400-300-200-100 @ 1:30/100 pace (1:23, 2:48, 4:15, 5:40, 5:38, 4:15, 2:48, 1:22)
2700 additional

6700m long pool

I started out with the lane to myself, then eventually shared with 3 others. That was ok bc I wasn’t going too hard at it. I helped a first-time circle-swimmer feel ok with circle swimming, and it turns out that she enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool is set up for long course today.

800 skps warmup

4x200 pull w paddles on 3:15
4x150 kick (flutter kick deep end to shallow, dolphin the other way)
4x100 on 2:00 (1 first 20 fast, #2 last 20 fast, #3 middle 20 fast, #4 fast 1:28, 26, 25, 1:12)
4x50 easy 2 kick 2 swim

200 easy warmdown

3000 LCM

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200 pull, 200 kick
4x50 on 1:00, build

Main set: 24 x 100y on 1:35, target < 1:15
(Failed #18,; rested an interval, then resumed)

100 back, 100 kick, 100 pull cool down.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
8.5 mile run w/ 10k race, 9th FOV of 218, 50:55.
1275 yd swim

3 x 200 on 3:15
6 x 100 on 1:35
75 kick c/d

I had two days without running and noticed I had my juice with my legs on my wall push offs and dolphin kick for fly and breast kick. Yesterday I tried an experiment. The snow is finally melted off most of the track up the street, at least 300m is clear (still some snow on the south side of the track that is shaded by trees, so it gets less sun). I did an hour run where I did 300m accelerations one way and then retraced the 300m recovery doing drills and repeated. I did this for 50 min (so lost track of how many) during a 65 min run. Then I went home got my gear and hit the pool.

For my swim, I spent the first part just doing a lot of work with my upper body and letting the legs catch some "rest". I saved the leg heavy IM and kick work for the second half of the swim and everything worked out fine. Total was 12K running, and swim was first 30 min lots of large paddly work, final 45 min was focused on a few sets of 200IM legs only, then 4x200IM where I sprinted 25m and recovered 25m, then I spend the final 15 min doing under water dolphin kick with fins.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run, legs felt surprisingly springy. Fartlek intervals 1.5 mi @ 9:05, 1.4 mi @ 8:57, 1.75 mi @ 8:49, 2.1 mi @ 8:41
1375 yd swim (straight w/ some kicking)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold, cold swim this Easter morning. Swam 4230 yards in my SwimRun shorty wetsuit. The water was 54° with an occasional colder spot. A half hour after finishing, the shivers started and my right index finger went numb and turned white. A half hour later, that finger was ok. The white and numbness travelled over to my right ring finger. I also had numb toes and big white splotches on the bottom of my feet. Luckily, our pod had an Easter beach brunch where I imbibed in hot spiked cider and ate hot French toast, egg and sausage casserole - so tasty!
After getting home and having a spell in the hot tub, Heidi and I hammered an 18 mile ride, averaging better than 19 mph – a real good pace for us.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 km walk and some hip exercises
2325 yd swim

22 x 100 on 1:35
125 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK so last summer after I got run over by the bus and the docs allowed me back into the pool I did several weeks of kick sets, but lately I have not done that much.

Anyway, last summer I worked up to doing sets of 5x200m IM kick only (dolphin kick on stomach, breath every 4-5 strokes, backstroke kick on back, breast stroke kick no arms and free kick on one side with switch over to the other side mid length). If I recall correctly, the best I got to was around 10:16 for 400IM kick.

Today the pool was crazy so it was a good opportunity to just do kick sets for a while. I did a 200IM kick warmup and launched into the 400IM kick. Final time was 9:35. I MAY be able to take another 10-15 seconds off this if I go all out.

Other than that I did 3x400m as

200IM moderately hard with 50 free easy recovery
followed by 25 fly hard, 75 free moderate twice

Overall workout was 4000m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi easy run 65:42
1275 yd swim, straight w/ a little kicking

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning I swam for the first time in 2 weeks. Masters meet on Saturday is going to be rough.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with that, I have been out 3 weeks, tried to do an abbreviated training bloc, but remained a bit sick through it. So no masters nationals for me this year. No point for me to go if I have no chance at some decent times, will punt to next year.

If you have just been out two weeks, and you are all better now, you may still have a chance at some decent times. Just think of it as a long taper with a couple days to sharpen speed. I remember guys in college that did virtually nothing for 2 weeks and killed it, but of course they were going into that completely broken down, and doing 12,000+ a day all season..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm setting my expectations very low. To be honest the only reason I am still swimming is because for Masters nationals (Canadian) I need to have an actual time to enter the 1500. All other events I can enter without having to prove a seed time. So this weekend I will swim the 1500, use that time to enter Nationals in a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh good deal, I thought your nationals were the same time as ours. I did the exact same thing, swam a couple meets just to get qualifying times for the big meet a month later, only sickness got in the middle of those two. You still have a chance, just don't do anything now that prolongs your illness, or gets you a relapse. Do the minimum time you need, then just really ease back in, you have plenty of time in the masters world for a good comeback still...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm over the sickness so I should be able to put in a solid 3-4 weeks before Nationals . The whole thing was just bad timing for me - I hurt my back two weeks ago and then a couple of days later as that was clearing up I got sick, then as that was getting better we were travelling for 4 days and then when we got home, the pool was closed for Easter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Oh good deal, I thought your nationals were the same time as ours. I did the exact same thing, swam a couple meets just to get qualifying times for the big meet a month later, only sickness got in the middle of those two. You still have a chance, just don't do anything now that prolongs your illness, or gets you a relapse. Do the minimum time you need, then just really ease back in, you have plenty of time in the masters world for a good comeback still...

The good thing about Cdn Masters is that you don't need a specific QT, you just need to swim it "officially", I think that the way it works is that the time you swim becomes your seed time for Nats. So you can swim as slow as you want, the downside of doing that is that you'll get put in a slower heat at Nationals.

That said, Z28 has been putting in some really solid swims in training, so I think he'll be fine come Provincials.

I did a sort of taper workout today at lunch.

600 SKPS (pull w/ paddles)

2 x 50 breast w/ dolphin kick, going for minimum stroke count (#1 - 5 strokes down, 6 back #2 - 4 strokes down, 5 strokes back) I use this as a bit of a "feel for the water" drill.

2 x (4x50) free on :60 - 3 easy 1 fast (33, 31)

4 x 100 free on 2:00 - 3 easy 1 fast (easy repeats were pretty slow at about 1:22-25, fast was a 1:04 - fastest I've gone from a push in practice in a couple of years)

200 easy warmdown

that was a nice little confidence boosting practice, I "might" have a decent 200 free in me, it's been 3 years since I swam it fast. We'll see.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your fast 50 and 100 times are pretty much what I was hitting a few weeks ago. Maybe the 200 will be East Coast Smackdown 2019.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Your fast 50 and 100 times are pretty much what I was hitting a few weeks ago. Maybe the 200 will be East Coast Smackdown 2019.

I'm pretty sure that you'll crush me, but OK.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did USRPT 50s again today.

200 wu
4x25 clock drill
50 swim
2x100 singl-arm/swim

MS: 30x50 usrpt @ 1:05 (holding 45s). Failed at #13, #18, #25. 26-30 @1:05 holding 50s.

CD:
4x50 kick
100 ez
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick 1600 scm this morning, all I had time for.
300 wu
4x50 IM order on :60
100 IM
4x100 on 1:40 - 1:13s which I'm happy with but I wouldn't have been able to hold too many more of them even with the longish rest.
50 ez
100 IM
4x100 on 1:40 - 1:13/14.
50 ez
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I got to swim in my Mom's endless pool over the weekend. I did take some video of it which I'll try to share later, but I'd like to film my regular pool stroke for comparison first.

Basically it doesn't go fast enough. That may be because it's the basic model of propeller. It feels like swimming in the ocean, with the surf, almost like riding a wave into shore. While I'm sure it's not accurate, there is a pace-clock like device attached to it that is supposed to reflect the flow/speed. At max speed, the clock reads 1:08. I can say for sure I'm not swimming at a 1:08 pace, yards or meters, more like somewhere north of 1:20/100y. My stroke rate according to my watch was ~21spm, and for comparison I'm normally at 31-34spm in an open water swim going pretty hard. The 'bouncy' flow also makes me kick pretty wide sometimes while breathing to try and stay in the center of the current.

I would love to compare it against one of their higher-end models, since I know you can program them with an app these days to do interval workouts, and they claim goes to :55/100 pace.

Cap2k open water race on Sunday (actual distance closer to 2.2k). Currently it's raining pretty hard in Austin, which means higher flow in the river where the race is, and the last time that happened the winning time was under 21min (I swam a 22:35).

-----
Quote Reply

Prev Next