Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conceptually they are not jut training for a single effort but a series of efforts during a meet session. On race days many top multi-event swimmers do up to 10 000 in warm up/down plus races for prelims and finals

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cannastar wrote:
Biggest week was 21k's. Consistently between 10-13km, last week it was 18km.

Hows your goal of cracking 14 minutes going with this swim volume?
I ask because on paper we seem relatively similar.
My one and only HIM time is 4:43 (same as your PB) and your swim time (15min/km) is about where I am at (30min swim for HIM).
My swimming started 10 weeks our from Busselton 70.3 and went from 4km/week up to about 10km/week (at most!).
But you're swimming far more than that, double in fact.
I don't think I am at all a fast swimmer, and would have thought a young fit dude like yourself swimming 18km/week should be killing it....?

FWIW my 'training' involved diving in, swimming 2km, getting out, looking at the clock and seeing how I did.
Are you over thinking it too much?
Just my 2 cents worth mate.
good luck with your goals!
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [AusTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My swim training last year was similar, swam about 6km a week with about 2 of those hard.

I am doing a 1k TT later on this week and I am very confident that I will break 15mins, my 100m times on 1:40 cycles have gone down by about 4 seconds in the last 6 weeks. Anyway we shall see. I really need some stroke correction classes, that alone should see some big improvments, am booking some in soon.

The reason I am not "killing it" is that this is only my 2nd pre-season of triathlon. I started tris (and training) in Nov 09, did my first HIM in in Feb '10 (5:33 with 35min swim) later that year did a 50min PB at Shepp.

I came from a pretty unfit background 23min was my first 5k run, and I couldn't hold 1:40m/100 on a 2min cycle for longer than 4-5 reps.

Its really nice seeing improvements coming so rapidly, and I am confident if I can remain consistent in my training (last pre-season was ruined by glandular) I can get to sub 14mins soonish.

Quote | Reply
I swam in high school and college. During my glory days of IM the most I ever swam was 3 days per week, with a max of 2K meters per swim. Mostly they were closer to 1K. They were all hard workouts were I was often a bit tired the rest of the day. I personally don't think anyone needs to swim more than that to be a FOP swimmer, and if they do then well they started swimming way too late in life and need to instead focus on running or biking or on buying more expensive equipment and fancy hydration drinks and gels. You just can't develop the upper body needed for swimming unless you started out as a kid.

These days I don't swim at all and I don't miss it, at all. I kind of always hated getting into the pool at 6 AM, into cold water, the chlorine, goggle marks on my face, the whistle telling us to go, and staring at the bottom of the pool for hours on end. Waterproof iPod would have been awesome because in all frankness swimming is boring as hell.
Last edited by: YaHey: Aug 16, 11 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many yards do you swim playing sharks and minnows 2hrs mon-fri?

By far the most pool time I've ever put in. And I think my underwater kick is improving so I can be good in those ITU starts :P

Quote | Reply
The only thing that beats sharks and minnows in terms of developing open water racing skills in the pool is pick-up water polo.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 5k - 7k yds. per week. And it shows in my swim results.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did 25,000 yds last week. This week looks like 24,000.
Just tryin' to live up to the family name.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim about 2k three times a week, and I'm terrible (maybe 2:00/100scy). I feel like I'm learning more, but I don't feel like I'm getting better; more yards would certainly help.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More yards would help but......don't underestimate stroke improvement. Get efficient and you can make some real gains for free (ie without improving your condition). Its not easy but its always do-able. Swimming is a bit like golf. If you gain the expertise (ie the swing or the stroke) as a kid, you never really lose it. Its hard to get as an adult but if you really work at it, you'll lower your handicap/times. You may never get a really beautiful stroke/swing but your numbers can still improve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
More yards would help but......don't underestimate stroke improvement. Get efficient and you can make some real gains for free (ie without improving your condition). Its not easy but its always do-able. Swimming is a bit like golf. If you gain the expertise (ie the swing or the stroke) as a kid, you never really lose it. Its hard to get as an adult but if you really work at it, you'll lower your handicap/times. You may never get a really beautiful stroke/swing but your numbers can still improve.
I think it goes more hand in hand... obviously a great feel for the water is going to allow for faster swimming, but without those hard intervals and the yardage, it can be difficult to effectively implement those stroke mechanics, and make them regular. FOCUSED work brings the best ROI, IMO, but that doesn't mean doing nothing but 8k of drills a week. (not disagreeing with your point, just refining :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I need to work on my stroke - I don't know enough to tell how badly or in what ways I'm deficient, but I can tell that it needs a lot of work. I wonder if there's an English-speaking swim coach in Daegu?
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assume for a second that there is no coach at hand. I grew up in a small country town and worked my stroke out myself for most of my early swimming years based on drills I learned from books as there were no coaches around. Here are a couple of things you can try by yourself. I still do these drills most weeks.

1) Hand drag. When you bring each hand forwad to enter the water again, exxagerate your elbow bend and let your finger tips drag in the water all the way from the exit point near your hip right forward to the entry point at full extension. You'll need to be very relaxed to do this. Practice just while standing there. Totally relax your arm from the elbow down and just let your hands drag the water. Make slow, deliberate strokes when you do this drill. Use fins if you struggle to keep moving.

2) Stretch. Simply, imagine that you are swimming along a piece of cord which is attached to each end of the pool and runs parallel to the black line and you swim along it like a chicken on a skewer. This helps in two ways. One is to focus on stretching your hands out as they enter the water so that they touch the "cord" at the further point possible. It will also help you to maintain a straight line with your body, not wiggling all over the place. As your hands pull through under the water, make sure that you flick your hip or thigh as they pass and exit the water at the end of the stroke.

3) Feel for still water. Different people have views on this but I still like to move my hands in a slow "s" shape as they pull through the water under me in each stroke. The idea is that you try to always be pushing against still water, not water that you have already started moving. Some people do this more or less than others but I like it. Careful not to over exagerate so that you end up wiggling your torso.

A coach will do far more for you but thse might help a little if you can work them out yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't compare sprint swimmers with long distance swimmers.

I swim about 25-35km a month. 2-3 times a week 3km sessions. Doing that kind of distance he is doing is one sport orientated - have to have some time to run and cycle (and eat/sleep! haha). Quality over quantity rings true!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Aqualicious Masters Swimming Club - Brisbane, Australia
Mooloolaba Triathlon, Australia - March 25 2012
Last edited by: nicstar85: Aug 17, 11 3:42
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X1
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [step up] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love a dive start...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
Assume for a second that there is no coach at hand. I grew up in a small country town and worked my stroke out myself for most of my early swimming years based on drills I learned from books as there were no coaches around. Here are a couple of things you can try by yourself. I still do these drills most weeks.

1) Hand drag. When you bring each hand forwad to enter the water again, exxagerate your elbow bend and let your finger tips drag in the water all the way from the exit point near your hip right forward to the entry point at full extension. You'll need to be very relaxed to do this. Practice just while standing there. Totally relax your arm from the elbow down and just let your hands drag the water. Make slow, deliberate strokes when you do this drill. Use fins if you struggle to keep moving.

2) Stretch. Simply, imagine that you are swimming along a piece of cord which is attached to each end of the pool and runs parallel to the black line and you swim along it like a chicken on a skewer. This helps in two ways. One is to focus on stretching your hands out as they enter the water so that they touch the "cord" at the further point possible. It will also help you to maintain a straight line with your body, not wiggling all over the place. As your hands pull through under the water, make sure that you flick your hip or thigh as they pass and exit the water at the end of the stroke.

3) Feel for still water. Different people have views on this but I still like to move my hands in a slow "s" shape as they pull through the water under me in each stroke. The idea is that you try to always be pushing against still water, not water that you have already started moving. Some people do this more or less than others but I like it. Careful not to over exagerate so that you end up wiggling your torso.

A coach will do far more for you but thse might help a little if you can work them out yourself.

I'll give this a try - in fact, I think I'll swim tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can race at around 1:20 - 1:30 pace while only swimming 2 or 3 times per week 3k - 4k each. Use to be a high school swimmer of average ability.

I could be faster no doubt, but time in the pool costs a great deal of training time when you consider driving and dressing etc.

I will gain WAY more time on race day by using those hours to run and ride. So now I run 6 days every week, ride 4 or 5 days every week and swim just enough to not get any slower (when I am three months or more from big races, I don't swim at all).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Respectable... my cruise pace is usually 1:12-15 (scm). I do a lot of 50's, 75's, 100's most days ... cruise 100's on 1:20, race pace on 1:25 say 1:07-08. I floated 3x150 @2:05 at 1:12/100 pace yesterday.. tapering for sprint nationals. when I do long stuff it's got a mix of intensity but I like to be able to swim fast at the end on 4000-5000...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Varies, seasonally, between 7500 and 12000m over 3 - 5 workouts p/w.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7-10K a week
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [clietzow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clietzow wrote:
Lochte's coach is known for higher yardage than most.

I wouldnt look at Lochte as the swimming norm.

Now a days, swimmers and coaches are playing around with the "new school" approach to the sport. Essentially, less is more. Quality over Quantity. It has taken swimming a few years to catch up to all the other athletes out there with this mentality. It will be interesting to see how the sport progresses over the next few years post lochte and phelps.

Yeah, it's curious... I've seen the "quality vs quantity" pendulum swing both ways over a few generations. Lochte himself even made a couple comments in the chat referencing his coach being 'old school' and doing big yardage. You'd think, though, seeing as how Lochte just dominated multiple events at the world championships (pending the next Olympics, he's sort of taken the unofficial title of "Best Swimmer in the World" away from Phelps), that maybe it'd win more favor for the high-volume approach, huh?

Whatever it is, it's fair to say his (coach's) approach is delivering better results at the moment than anyone else's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling that Lochte would be a stud no matter who coached him and what philosophy he trained under. He has a mental gift that most other athletes dont even realize exists.

The new school of swimming which is being led by Salo is radical in my opinion. I am still having a hard time accepting the idea that sprinters 50/100 could spend more time training out of the water than they could training in the water.

I believe that the best way to achieve results in this sport is a balance of heavy yardage, recovery (which swimmers do not place nearly enough emphasis on), and quality work. What proportions? I guess that is the question that each coach will have to tweak for each individual athlete.

For what it is worth, I still dont think you can take title away from Phelps as best swimmer alive. Phelps will get his stuff together in time for the London.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [clietzow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clietzow wrote:
I have a feeling that Lochte would be a stud no matter who coached him and what philosophy he trained under. He has a mental gift that most other athletes dont even realize exists.

The new school of swimming which is being led by Salo is radical in my opinion. I am still having a hard time accepting the idea that sprinters 50/100 could spend more time training out of the water than they could training in the water.

I believe that the best way to achieve results in this sport is a balance of heavy yardage, recovery (which swimmers do not place nearly enough emphasis on), and quality work. What proportions? I guess that is the question that each coach will have to tweak for each individual athlete.

For what it is worth, I still dont think you can take title away from Phelps as best swimmer alive. Phelps will get his stuff together in time for the London.

Could be very interesting in London if Phelps, Lochte, Magnussen and Thorpe are all there, in form, for the party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:

Yeah, it's curious... I've seen the "quality vs quantity" pendulum swing both ways over a few generations. Lochte himself even made a couple comments in the chat referencing his coach being 'old school' and doing big yardage.

End of the day, there is no one-size fits all approach to swim training. Some do well in a Florida-style program while others are a terrible fit in that kind of training regime. (I remember Dana Vollmer's brief disaster stay at Florida before she wound up getting back on track at Cal.)

It all comes down to finding what training style works best for your body, and there's huge variation in how that all shakes out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next