Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple watch swim question
Quote | Reply
I know the Apple watch (new version) inactivates the touch screen when subjected to water however, does the display indicate interval times, accumulated distance, etc, during the swim workout or is the screen totally blanked out?
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch swim question [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The screen is not blank. You can see 5 metrics at a time: Things like your total time, your number of laps, your HR, etc. It does NOT show your interval splits and rest periods, however. You can view those things afterwards when you view your workout results. but the screen doesn't show those things in "real time".
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch swim question [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will probably stick with my Garmin watch. I like seeing the set or split times.
Last edited by: NealH: Nov 8, 18 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice to stick with a Garmin. My AWS4 is my third Apple Watch. It is really fun. But it is mediocre, at best, as a fitness device. The screen really doesn’t show what you want when you want in the pool. It only turns on for a wrist raise, which you kind of have to force. And, the data elements are limited.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch swim question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most pools have a big clock on the wall somewhere for watching your split and interval times. You don't even have to push any buttons to get that information. (I know, there is a whole separate post on ST dedicated to this issue somewhere, but it is totally true: You do not need an Apple watch or a Garmin to keep track of your splits if the pool has a decent clock and you learn how to read it).
In open water, the Apple watch blows away most of the "triathlon specific" watches like the Garmin or Suunto, as far as accuracy goes. DC Rainmaker has a nice write-up about this aspect.
I guess it all comes down to what you want/need to use the watch for when you are swimming. In the pool, I use the clock on the wall to guide my intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch swim question [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughingfarmer wrote:
In open water, the Apple watch blows away most of the "triathlon specific" watches like the Garmin or Suunto, as far as accuracy goes. DC Rainmaker has a nice write-up about this aspect.
Did you read why? Even a broken clock is correct twice per day.

I generally agree about using a wall clock to guide most of a swim workout. The only thing I actually use my Garmin for during the swim is counting lengths when I am doing a very long interval. The AW & Garmin are about equal in that regard (with Garmin edging for the win because the screen is on when I want to look at it). Though, I do like to see my overall average pace occasionally, and for that the Garmin is superior. What I really use my watch for is reviewing the speed of my intervals after the swim to see overall training progress. Garmin is superior because of its digital platform behind the watch and ability to capture interval and rest times, which the AW struggles to do.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 9, 18 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are third party apps you can use though instead of the built-in fitness app. There's a swim.com app that seems to be fairly popular, I'm sure there are others.

--Chris
Quote Reply