Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

I'm an iOS developer and recently released a Health app that lets you import Health exports into new phones (https://www.macstories.net/...ata-between-iphones/). I'm not an Apple Watch user myself (I use a VAHR), but after getting my feet wet after writing a Health app and doing some research, it seems like it's sort of impossible to use an Apple Watch with a service like TrainingPeaks, since there's no (current) way to export the workouts. This seems like a huge shortcoming. For any athletes who want to import this data, you're sort of stuck doing it manually.

The files that most of these services can import are basically some form of XML and was planning on throwing together a prototype for an app that would hook into the Health app and sync workouts from the Apple Watch and import them correctly. I was going to start off with TrainingPeaks since that's what I use, but open to other suggestions.

To any Apple Watch wearers out there—any comments? Is this something you'd use or pay for? Thanks!

Dan
Last edited by: shminxy86: Dec 14, 16 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks [shminxy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an AW, but I probably would never use it for athlete stuff, because it has tons of shortcomings in that space. I think that the root problem is that Health does not have geocoded activity data; geocoded data only live in the Activity app on the iPhone. So, if you can write an export that could pull geocoded workout data from the Activity app on the phone, convert it to one of the formats that Strava/Golden Cheetah/TrainingPeaks/etc. support, and push it to the app, it seems that would be pretty useful to some folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm makes sense. Unfortunately GPS data isn't something that can be pulled out of the workout data (at least not for now). For pool swims this wouldn't be too much of a shortcoming, but could see it making the AW useless for runs or rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks [shminxy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you can use this application to download .TCX files from your apple watch, I have never tried this, just found this link when researching as I am hoping to buy an apple watch in the future for training.

http://spectarun.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
I believe you can use this application to download .TCX files from your apple watch, I have never tried this, just found this link when researching as I am hoping to buy an apple watch in the future for training.

http://spectarun.com/

Very cool! Good find. This product solves essentially the same problem, but I'd like to cut out that middle step of having the user save that TCX file. My vision is that it'd sync automatically in the background to your service of choice.

Nice to see they filed a bug report with Apple re: the location data—will duplicate that report to nudge Apple to think about adding support for GPS export in a future iOS version.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably does not get geocoded data. So, it would not be as robust as folks are used to using with TrainingPeaks/Strava/GC/etc. I believe the export would have to come directly from Activity, not Health; otherwise, the workouts in the analysis websites would just look like treadmill time (no mapping, elevation, or weather, etc. possible).
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
This probably does not get geocoded data. So, it would not be as robust as folks are used to using with TrainingPeaks/Strava/GC/etc. I believe the export would have to come directly from Activity, not Health; otherwise, the workouts in the analysis websites would just look like treadmill time (no mapping, elevation, or weather, etc. possible).

Correct. No geocoded data would be available. At least not yet. This is a big reason why I think it'd be most useful for lap swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect [shminxy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do all my run tracking with the Strava App for the Apple Watch. Data seems to get uploaded / Sync'd pretty easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I do all my run tracking with the Strava App for the Apple Watch. Data seems to get uploaded / Sync'd pretty easily.

Ah, yes. You can get GPS info if you create an Apple Watch app. I was envisioning not needing to do that but suppose I could if there was no other way around it.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So its like you use the strava app on the AW but still sync with the phone when youre running?

is it possible with AW S2 to run using strava with out the phone? and just sync later?
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect [shminxy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked seriously at the Apple Watch 2. If there was a way to get runs -> TrainingPeaks I was ready to buy. Haven't found the ability yet.

I'd love to be proved wrong....

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but not yet. Strava still needs to update their watch app to use the watch's native GPS. As soon as they finish that, then you can run with Strava on the AW without the phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch to TrainingPeaks / Strava / Garmin Connect [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have the Gen 1 watch which must be paired with a phone to get GPS. As soon as I press 'Finish' on my watch, all the data is uploaded to Strava. I have similar syncing features with my Garmin Edge 520 computer and Strava.

Gen 2 watches have GPS built in, but I still would imaging that the syncing process would happen when connected to the phone.
Quote Reply