Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple Watch Run Tracking Accuracy
Quote | Reply
Everyone with an Apple Watch, what was the steps you took in order to get accurate distance measurements on your runs?

This is the second Apple Watch I've had and they both post longer distances than my Garmin.

On my first Apple Watch(series 3) I ran 13.1 miles and my Garmin said I only ran 12.85. I then got into my truck and measured the route and the Garmin was the correct distance.

I just got a series 5 and went on a 4 mile run. The Apple said I did 4.06 and my Garmin had 4.01.

I've used the Apple workout app to track my runs. Is there something I should be doing different to get the distance to be more accurate or should I be using a different running app on my Apple Watch?

I really don't want to run with both watches. I need to use my Apple Watch because I get cashback from my health insurance when I use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Run Tracking Accuracy [gnat1001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a shortcoming of the Apple Watch, regardless of what series...check DC Rainmaker's Series 5 review and click on GPS Accuracy on the lfet-hand menu(it's pretty much the same for 4 and 3 as well).
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The harsh reality is that the AW is inherently designed to be inaccurate for distance.
  1. The Apple Watch does not begin trying to acquire GPS until you start your activity. So, the first while (unknown how long it takes to get a lock) is an estimate. The Apple Watch entirely fabricates the position and distance data until it acquires a GPS lock.
  2. Apple Watch samples GPS location much less frequently than a Garmin to conserve battery. Therefore, it does a lot of rounding and guessing between data points to approximate distances. It will clip about every corner by a lot.

I have had an AWS0, AWS3, and AWS4, and now have an AWS5. I have compared them to my Garmin 735XT and 945. The AW is pretty, but leagues behind a purpose-built device like a Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to an Apple Watch in early December after being a loyal Garmin since since the Forerunner 305 days. Early on I noticed that on my tried and true routes (roughly between 1.5 and 5 miles - some of them are dog walks) the AW read a bit high for a few weeks.

However, it seems to have settled in is giving me distances consistent with what I'm used to from the Garmin. In fact, I did a short run (2 miles) this past weekend with my son who is now using my old Garmin (FR 645) and we got the exact same distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing to keep in mind is that the watch gets GPS data from your phone if you have it on you. For better or worse. The thing about not getting a GPS lock applies, but usually it knows where you are before you start. If you leave your phone at home, then you'll definitely have a bit of a transition while it grabs GPS signal.

It's a bit ridiculous of a purchase if you only want it to get accurate distance data on your watch, but if you use a Stryd with it you will get accurate data (although your GPS track will still be kinda craptastic).

Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:
One more thing to keep in mind is that the watch gets GPS data from your phone if you have it on you. For better or worse. The thing about not getting a GPS lock applies, but usually it knows where you are before you start. If you leave your phone at home, then you'll definitely have a bit of a transition while it grabs GPS signal.

It's a bit ridiculous of a purchase if you only want it to get accurate distance data on your watch, but if you use a Stryd with it you will get accurate data (although your GPS track will still be kinda craptastic).

Today I'm going to reset the calibration and have it calibrate while I'm doing my run this evening. I usually run with my phone anyway so hopefully that will give me some more accurate data.

When I initially calibrated it, I just did it by going for a walk outside without my phone.

Either way I might just end up wearing both watches when I run. I just like how the Garmin tracks and how it's interface works. Will probably just do that until the Apple watch decides to be more runner friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pardon the deviation here, but what app is everyone using on their AW? I am using Strava, but not having mile markers on my map post-run is a feature I really miss.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Run Tracking Accuracy [ramvo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the activities app on the watch and then use RunGap to actually look at any data.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Run Tracking Accuracy [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you!! i just downloaded it...this scratches the itch perfectly
Quote Reply