Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apes, Tigers & Bears
Quote | Reply
Which animal would be a better triathlete? And which one would win in a fight?

We had a great season long debate among my swim team when I was in university about who would win in a fight between a great ape, a grizzly bear and a tiger. The debate obviously began during one of those drunken who would win between batman and spiderman types arguments, but it raged on for almost 8 months. Guys took very strong stances in support of their chosen animal and some guys even went to the extraordinary level (for lazy drunk university students) to do extensive research on theri chosen animals. We even established rules of engagement.

To this day - 10 years later - you can still get some of the guys going by simply saying that, " An grizzly would destroy a tiger in a level ground battle without trees" or which ever combination most offended them.

Myself, I voted for the grizzly. Short burst speed, raw power, and reach.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Apes, Tigers & Bears [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. Well, Apes are right out. Besides, they kind of smell and they are always touching themselves and throwing their pooh.

Bears are too fat.

That leaves tigers. My favorite.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that back in the time of Roman Gladiators, when they staged animal matches in the Colliseum, the bear always won over the big cats. Must be sheer strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bears have incredibly strength and incredible weaponry. Their claws are much larger than big cats (Teeth bigger too), and they use their paws as clubs to go "Oops upside your head". Have you ever heard of a tiger hug? Or an ape hug? NO! But, we all know of a bear hug. :) The grizzly is about 3 weight classes above them. NOw if you wanna compare a 500-pound bear with a 500-pound tiger with a 500-pound 'Rilla ... that's different?

My favorite animal (outside of sharks) are Leopards. Fast enough to kill quick prey, strong enough to climb trees while carrying the carcass in its mouth, and then drape it over the branches ... y'know in case it wants a 12-course meal later. I always looked at them like "Middleweights", fast enough to be active all the time, strong enough to knock someone out quickly.

Most viscious animal in nature? The Wolverine. Saw a special on them the other day. Amazing. I can't imagine them not surviving anything. Even their sex is rough with both members left bleeding and scarred from all the biting and scratching. There ya go ... run with that comment.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Apes, Tigers & Bears [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Guys would make the argument that the ape would use tools and that the tiger would gain an advantage with uneven terrain or trees.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Apes, Tigers & Bears [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most viscious animal in nature? The Wolverine.

Most viscous animal in nature? The jellyfish.
Quote Reply
Re: Apes, Tigers & Bears [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love tigers for their majestic appearance and bearing, as well as the mystery and legends that surround them, but in a flat out fight, I've got to go with the bear - fast, ornery, incredibly strong, and, as someone already noted, they outweigh the other two by a good margin.

mp
Quote Reply