Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone want to coach me on a DIY zipper guard alteration to a tri suit? Help
Quote | Reply
Summary: I absolutely love the fit and performance of the LG Course M2 skin suit, but the zipper tears my neck to shreds. LG has even sent me a second suit thinking it was a manufacturing error. For some reason, this suit just rips me up at the neck.

I'd like to sew in a zipper guard. Doesn't seem too hard to do, my wife has the talent and the machine to properly get it done. I was thinking a 2 inch flap of fabric that would completely hide the zipper top to bottom.

Any recommendations on fabric type? Anyone made a DIY alteration like this before?

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Aug 21, 18 7:39
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone want to coach me on a DIY zipper guard alteration to a tri suit? Help [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:
Summary: I absolutely love the fit and performance of the LG Course M2 skin suit, but the zipper tears my neck to shreds. LG has even sent me a second suit thinking it was a manufacturing error. For some reason, this suit just rips me up at the neck.

I'd like to sew in a zipper guard. Doesn't seem too hard to do, my wife has the talent and the machine to properly get it done. I was thinking a 2 inch flap of fabric that would completely hide the zipper top to bottom.

Any recommendations on fabric type? Anyone made a DIY alteration like this before?

I've never done what you're suggesting, but I think it's interesting.

I'm not sure sewing is better than gluing if you're talking about attaching fabric to the spongy-plastic material of your wetsuit. Wetsuit material tears really easily, and sewing will make a line of holes, perforations, that might just open up.

If you're planning to attach the fabric to the thin line of zipper fabric, that might be possible. That seems like a tricky, small space. It could work, so long as the fabric doesn't get into and jam up the zipper.

Are you talking a flap of fabric that goes the whole length of the zipper or just at the neck where it rips you up? Maybe try to fix just that small section.

For the flap fabric, you have a lot of options. My first thought is that fake fur is fun! But I'm being silly. I think you'd want to go to the fabric store and buy several options to test out. Also get some glue-on Velcro patches because they might be handy.

Thanks for the reply. To clarify this isn't a wetsuit or swim skin, this is a tri suit (as pictured below). They call it a skin suit, I should have been more specific. There is just enough fabric to the side of the zipper to run a decent stitch right up the chest without sewing directly on the thin suit itself, I'm just debating what fabric to use, a little lost in that department :)

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone want to coach me on a DIY zipper guard alteration to a tri suit? Help [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 alternatives to sewing.

Just some background, I've been running and working in costume shops for the past 15 years.

First would be gluing a thin strip of Lycra or spandex.
We use Aleene's Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue:
https://www.joann.com/aleene-s-flexible-stretchable-fabric-glue-4-oz/2436632.html
It's made specifically to glue spandex and such.
Stretches, flexes, even washable.
It holds up in dancer's outfits and actor's costumes and those people are just brutal on clothes.

Second option, while not permanent, would be to buy yourself a roll of Moleskin Blister Guard.
Cut a piece to shape, stick it on your tri suit fuzzy side towards skin and rock on.
That stuff stays put. While I've never tested it swimming, it sticks to sweaty feet and make-up caked faces.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone want to coach me on a DIY zipper guard alteration to a tri suit? Help [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the glue idea. I've used medical tape in the past and it works about half of the time, though your tape may be better. Last weekend I used Johnson's athlete tape to line the edges and it came off in the swim. As long as the glue doesn't become hard or anything that sounds like a pretty simple option and alteration, and one that I don't have to bug my better half to help with, thanks for the suggestion.

Calamityjane88 thank you for the fabric suggestions. And if all else fails and I opt for a orange furry tuft of fake chest fur rocking out of the top of my suit, I'll be sure you get a picture ;)

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply