Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using the Oakley ARO7? Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Have yet to see one in the wild, but GTN did an infomercial on one recently. I have been told it "tests fast" and might work well for me since I have a huge gap between my back and any helmets with a tail. That said, $500 is a pretty steep price tag for what looks like a very hot ski helmet. Didn't see any recent discussion of the helmet in the forums, but did see a recent thread about the ARO3 & ARO5.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using the Oakley ARO7? Thoughts? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one and thought the quality felt great. BUT, I wear a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 hat, and that helmet felt like it was going to crush my skull. Bad enough that I didn't even attempt to ride in it. Just be forewarned that in comparison to an Aerohead large, the Oakley ARO7 seemed tiny.

There's a thread from 6-9 months ago that has a good discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I know there was a thread or two where it was the main point of discussion as I replied on those but I am also having trouble finding it with the keyword search.

Anyway, my $0.02 is that it doesn't run too hot (used it in Hawai'i 70.3 among other races) but It could probably use a bit more ventilation. Fit is great except for the putting it on part, I need to be conscious about where my thumbs go as to not scrape my ears but I haven't felt any issues when scrambling to put it on in T1. Visor holds well and is quite high which allows me to tuck my head in more then my previous helmet (Disclaimer: it was a Rudy...). Not sure how the tests run, i'd be interested in that too.

ETA: I've had this helmet since its release early 2018. I haven't had nor heard of issues with the visor connection and I had to throw it in and out of plastic transition bags several times.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Sep 18, 19 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20aro%207#p6633633

I saw one at the Nationals the other week and was going to ask the owner but they disappeared before i got the opportunity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been considering one (since my Spesh TT kills my ears)....

I keep hearing negatives about the lenses with a weak magnet... which pretty much makes it even with the spesh TT which has no magnet and is sometimes getting knocked off in T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using the Oakley ARO7? Thoughts? [Gherkin12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that was the thread I had seen before but couldn't find.

Unfortunately most the substantive information is from 2018 and regarding the very first batch that came out. Was hoping there would be more information available now that 2019 season is getting close to the end.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a tweet about Harry Tanfields TT performance in a stage race the Wattshop guys didnt think that it tested very well refering to it as a bowling ball. Obviously going to be rather individual though and I understand others find it tests well for a lot of riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using the Oakley ARO7? Thoughts? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
I've been considering one (since my Spesh TT kills my ears)....

I keep hearing negatives about the lenses with a weak magnet... which pretty much makes it even with the spesh TT which has no magnet and is sometimes getting knocked off in T1.

Yeah any helmet with magnets needs to have strong secure ones. I've lost 3 visors from my Bambino. I had a look at my mates AR07 and it felt pretty heavy. Not sure if that means uncomfortable, but it seemed noticeably heavier than my Bambino.
Quote Reply