Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using Xert?
Quote | Reply
Anyone using Xert? Anyone have any thoughts? Did a search but there isn't a whole heck of a lot here on it. Some of the ideas seem interesting, or at least a new way of looking at training.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up for the trial a few days ago.

I liked the idea of it working out my ftp from training rides etc... but it appears I'd need to be closer to my ftp in more rides for that to work.

The maximum remaining power looks like an interesting idea for pacing in bike races, but I'm less sure how applicable it is to a triathlon. I wonder if you could use it to go deeper in the middle of the bike and then recover slowly for a target remaining power as you got onto the run.

I'm not sure how valid the model is but having some rough way to assess the impact of high intensity (0-5 min) surges on your steady state power would seem useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it out, they estimated my FTP a good 40 watts too high, so I stopped evaluating it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
I tried it out, they estimated my FTP a good 40 watts too high, so I stopped evaluating it.

Same. They were throwing out some dream numbers for me. Not sure what the issue was.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
I signed up for the trial a few days ago.

I liked the idea of it working out my ftp from training rides etc... but it appears I'd need to be closer to my ftp in more rides for that to work.

The maximum remaining power looks like an interesting idea for pacing in bike races, but I'm less sure how applicable it is to a triathlon. I wonder if you could use it to go deeper in the middle of the bike and then recover slowly for a target remaining power as you got onto the run.

I'm not sure how valid the model is but having some rough way to assess the impact of high intensity (0-5 min) surges on your steady state power would seem useful.

Yeah, this is why I'm interested, I'm a bike racer, no tri's anymore. It struck me as an approximation of w' balance, which would be pretty helpful to be able to follow during a road race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it pretty much all last summer. It estimated my efforts pretty well and the workouts were unique.

The main reason I stopped using it was because of the lack of sprint time trial support. I asked questions about that in their forum and it went unanswered so I deleated the question after a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
jsk wrote:

Same. They were throwing out some dream numbers for me. Not sure what the issue was.

One of the features we are looking to implement is to provide a measure of confidence with the numbers. When maximal effort data is sparse, Xert uses a number of heuristical approaches (guesswork in essence). This is hit and miss since there isn't much to go on. If you feed it with good data, sometimes it only needs a few good rides where there are multiple maximal efforts to failure, it will pick up your FTP and other numbers well. This is what those that are getting value from it are seeing. If it missed first time around, send us an email and we can help you get things sorted out. Once things are sorted out, it can be quite precise in establishing fitness levels, even multiple times per week. Workouts can be very precise too.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [baronbiosys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any plans to support a "maximum remaining power" function for various distance triathlon legs? FWIW, I generally ride the bike leg of a sprint at my threshold power, olympic 95% threshold power, and 70.3 at 80% of threshold power (to the best of my knowledge, those are all in the ballpark of "best practice" paces). Of those three distances, I tend to blow up on the run on sprints the most because the effort on the bike tends to be much more variable: surges to break away from a pack out of transition, passing a large group, etc. It would be super helpful to have a somewhat variable pacing target under such conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Any plans to support a "maximum remaining power" function for various distance triathlon legs? FWIW, I generally ride the bike leg of a sprint at my threshold power, olympic 95% threshold power, and 70.3 at 80% of threshold power (to the best of my knowledge, those are all in the ballpark of "best practice" paces). Of those three distances, I tend to blow up on the run on sprints the most because the effort on the bike tends to be much more variable: surges to break away from a pack out of transition, passing a large group, etc. It would be super helpful to have a somewhat variable pacing target under such conditions.

Using our MPA and TTE Garmin Connect IQ apps during your sprint tri, you can keep track of your fatigue (MPA) and your remaining power (TTE). Configure TTE to show how much time left to exhaustion at, say, your 20 minute power if this is an estimate for the power you'll need during your run. Keep an eye to ensure that TTE is near 20 minutes by the time you finish the bike leg. If you see it creep down (MPA will also start to drop), this means you're spending too much time above threshold and you're going to have a harder time in the run and you should back off. Try and avoid any efforts above threshold early as these will have the greatest impact overall to your ability to finish with sufficient capacity for the run. It's easier to bring MPA down than it is to get it go back up, hence negative splitting your race is always best.

HTH

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I sent you a private message.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Using our MPA and TTE Garmin Connect IQ apps during your sprint tri, you can keep track of your fatigue (MPA) and your remaining power (TTE). Configure TTE to show how much time left to exhaustion at, say, your 20 minute power if this is an estimate for the power you'll need during your run. Keep an eye to ensure that TTE is near 20 minutes by the time you finish the bike leg. If you see it creep down (MPA will also start to drop), this means you're spending too much time above threshold and you're going to have a harder time in the run and you should back off. Try and avoid any efforts above threshold early as these will have the greatest impact overall to your ability to finish with sufficient capacity for the run. It's easier to bring MPA down than it is to get it go back up, hence negative splitting your race is always best.

HTH

I understand those metrics but, for me, I'd prefer to just look down at a power target on the top half of my screen and compare that to my 3sec avg power on the bottom of my screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
baronbiosys wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

HTH

I understand those metrics but, for me, I'd prefer to just look down at a power target on the top half of my screen and compare that to my 3sec avg power on the bottom of my screen.

Check out our new workout player https://apps.garmin.com/...f8-9d08-ab3d8e9f22d6 as it has a very cool way to help you maintain a target wattage. Would just need to map out your target wattage. Today it's time based but we could easily adapt it for GPS-based targets if there is enough interest. The new variable power features would also be super useful as it could adjust your target wattage if you happen to generate too much fatigue.

Let us know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting an old thread here... I'm a trainerroad subscriber but considering moving to something with more learning capability built into the training plans. So who is using Xert? Any feedback or experiences to report? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Xert? [xert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m also interested in learning more about Xert.

What does it offer over WKO4?

From what I can see it seems to offer a prescriptive element ie it tells you not only where you’re at but also what you should do. Wjo4 you need to interpret it and make your plan yourself.

Which sounds great but only if it works!
Quote Reply