Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using TrainerDay
Quote | Reply
It’s a Somewhat obvious knockoff of TrainerRoad on iOS. Bluetooth only, but it’s free. (You can pay for a premium version that does auto upload to strava -a bigger workout library and the ability to add your own custom workouts.

The free version has 20 workouts available, and they seem to cover enough territory that you could build a decent training plan out of them.

What it’s not....

It’s not TrainerRoad. Doesn’t even come close to having the plans, connectivity, etc. But.... it’s free.

I’ll give it a try for a while and see if I like it. Zwift doesn’t quite do it for me, I find their training plans to be annoying as hell. (Limiting when workouts are available, etc)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
work in progress, they are doing powermatch this week. i am on their hard times plan - 4 months at 10$
they do have plans if you subscribe but yes not yet there with regard to TR/Zwift but Alex (owner) has a lot of plans for it but looks like all smart trainers are good to go already. Europe based so a lot of subscribers from that part of the world. For now if i use my PM with my trainer, i lower the target power by %5 for the erg workouts and use my edge 1000 as my data source. But if you solely use your smart trainer than no issues.

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

I think what I'm going to try for now is to run it in parallel with Zwift or my Garmin head unit. Let TrainerDay guide the workout (I don't have a smart trainer, just the PM) and use Zwift or Garmin for data collection.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the more I look around the more I think Xert is a good deal. You get both a training platform and a fitness analysis platform in one. Also it has some very cool aspects no one else has. They have a metric called MPA (Maximium Power Available) which is sort of like W prime but not exactly. The point is you can set the work and recovery interval to consume a certain amount of MPA or recover it. The cool part is that if you outside a certain boundary in either direction it will adjust the interval length to get the amount of MPA close to target.

It is a bit of a black box which makes the learning curve pretty steep but over all it is a very interesting platform and has a lot of potential. They have a limited trial but that only gets your feet wet. There are lots of workouts and they are really easy to edit. One otehr cool feature is based upon your training it gives you suggested workouts. I see a lot of potential in the idea. I have no dog in the fight though and would switch if I thought there was a better platform (I am as cheap as anyone) but so far this has worked really well for my approach to using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
the more I look around the more I think Xert is a good deal. You get both a training platform and a fitness analysis platform in one. Also it has some very cool aspects no one else has. They have a metric called MPA (Maximium Power Available) which is sort of like W prime but not exactly. The point is you can set the work and recovery interval to consume a certain amount of MPA or recover it. The cool part is that if you outside a certain boundary in either direction it will adjust the interval length to get the amount of MPA close to target.

It is a bit of a black box which makes the learning curve pretty steep but over all it is a very interesting platform and has a lot of potential. They have a limited trial but that only gets your feet wet. There are lots of workouts and they are really easy to edit. One otehr cool feature is based upon your training it gives you suggested workouts. I see a lot of potential in the idea. I have no dog in the fight though and would switch if I thought there was a better platform (I am as cheap as anyone) but so far this has worked really well for my approach to using it.

I'm definitely interested in Xert as well, mostly because Trainingpeaks pricing is offensive to me. It's the off season, so a good time to try out different options.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that`s a good plan until as well the app developers add more options. let us know your thoughts as well after. TR`s monthly is too much for my allotted monthly budget. 20$ is already 1000 of our money

Xert is one option also and have subscribed as well before - i like how it adjusts on the fly your FTP if it sees you are having issues hitting the target wattages.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one other thing to like about it is they are a Canadian company! and are advised by a pretty credible science advisor in Stephen Cheung and one of his Grad students, Scott Steele. Interesting team.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by dennism [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started using them. I am uploading my prescribed ERG files from training peaks, and using this software to control my snap. I literally upgraded to premium on a seven day trial today.

I’m a little confused on calibration though. Trainer Road obviously supports it. Does this not calibrate the trainer?

Also, can you export a completed workout?

Off the cuff, for somebody who hates the trainer and does the bare minimum in the off-season this is very budget friendly
Last edited by: greenlawnracing: Nov 24, 20 17:17
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
I just started using them. I am uploading my prescribed ERG files from training peaks, and using this software to control my snap. I literally upgraded to premium on a seven day trial today.

I’m a little confused on calibration though. Trainer Road obviously supports it. Does this not calibrate the trainer?

Also, can you export a completed workout?

Off the cuff, for somebody who hates the trainer and does the bare minimum in the off-season this is very budget friendly

AFIk you need to calibrate via the trainer app. Powermatch just started this week and more upgrades coming.
You can download when you to the history tab, swipe left and there's a download workout tab which you can email to yourself - this is what I did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex from TrainerDay here. Happy to answer everyone's questions. If you mean spin down calibration no we don't have that yet, but we definitely plan on adding it. Our app is new, we are small and low-priced so we can't do everything as quickly as we would like. As Dennis pointed out we are coming out with power match later this week or next week, which is a significant benefit to wheel-on trainers and partially reduces your reliance on spin-down, but you still need to do it using your manufactures app. Slightly painful I know... :(

Regarding TrainerRoad
We have a different target audience than TrainerRoad. If you want TrainerRoad plans and want the support of the TR team, then obviously TR is the best. If you are designing your own plans or pulling them from other places, this is what our platform is designed for. We call it for the "Self-Coached Cyclist." You can create your own workouts and plans in TR, but many people feel it is expensive as a simple ERG player. TrainerRoad is also less efficient than TrainerDay for designing your own workouts and building re-usable plans.

Happy to be of help in any method we can be. The slow-twitch group is frequently self-coached, so I am especially sensitive to your needs. Thanks ~alex
Last edited by: TrainerDay: Nov 25, 20 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason I love this method of using TrainerDay :) Meaning my wife won't let me bring my trainer and bike in the apartment so I use a spin bike with power meter for my indoor rides, and I use different apps whether it be Peloton or Zwift, Netflix or whatever and use TrainerDay just for tracking and watching the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [TrainerDay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to meet you and thanks for chiming in!

I did just find the ability to email the file as per the earlier post.

How do I upgrade to premium on the hard times plan? I didn't see it available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to meet you too,

It's hidden a little but if you are logged into the site, on the pricing page
https://trainerday.com/pricing/ It's a link right below the pricing at the top (and at the bottom).

I attached a screenshot.

Last edited by: TrainerDay: Nov 25, 20 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As many here I am trying to limit monthly subscriptions of all sorts (yes it adds up for a family of four). I follow up my general activity level with Polar Flow (means I don't need Strava Premium). Trainerroad is just too much for my needs as I commute a lot by bike and ride hard outdoors on the weekends. Now during the lockdown and school holidays I'll give TrainerDay a try - I just need some motiviation and measure against Trainerroad style workouts. It might be perfect for my needs (I have a powermeter equiped bike on dumb rollers and an old iphone).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that TD allows you to create workouts using a text-based 'programming' approach. A nice touch and, if you choose to make those public, it expands the TD workout library. But, can you upload a file (say, .erg) and put that in you library and use it to control a smart trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, on the create workouts page we have an upload ERG, MRC and ZWO feature :) And yes I use TrainerDay :) Let me know if you have any other questions. ~alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just reviving this thread to let people know the app is well worth a try. You can broadcast the app screen to your laptop screen via the web browser (there’s a dedicated link) and also watch YouTube videos embedded in the same browser tab. Nice feature.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using TrainerDay [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I've used TrainerRoad for the last year and while it's been good I'm thinking of giving TrainerDay a go when my TR subscription ends next week.
Quote Reply