Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone used On Running shoes?
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that swears by them but other than that one person I've never heard of them before. Anyone have experience with them?

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used On Running shoes? [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard heel, not much padding. Gave me my first blister ever.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been running in Cloudflows for 4 weeks. I really like them so far.

Was running in Newton’s prior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in them - I like them. Great forefoot cushioning.

I used to run in Newtons for years then I had a bike accident breaking my back and needing knee reconstruction. After starting back running, I used Hokas for a while and I have now switched back to to Ons.

I train in the cloudsurfer and race in the cloudflow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hands down the best running shoes I've had, all four pairs of them so far! I've tried a lot of different shoes over the years and nothing has felt as stable and absorbing of some of the forces of running better than my Cloudsurfers. They're not the lightest shoes in the world in terms of weight but the cushioning and comfort is second to none.

The only real negative point I have with them is that they are only really a 600km - 800km shoe. I do around 1,600km per year and I go through at least two pairs of them each year, if not more and the price to buy here in Switzerland is much higher than elsewhere - even though they are a Swiss company!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
be careful at Achilles tendon with ON Shoes
it is something you ll see in long term, several months of using ON shoes
people tend to go by "feeling", which is great as I can confirm. but by feeling you can fall in many other traps.
unfortunately, feeling not necessarily goes together with good protection and good long term fit for your style and stride.
i use them only for walking around, which is where "feeling" makes sense. they are also good looking shoes with very attracting colors.

overall: heel stability is very poor and who suffers from Achilles tendonitis will notice it immediately. If you don't suffer from Achilles, you will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned one pair that were extremely comfortable. Unfortunately the model I had (can't remember) had a large groove down the centre where pebbles got stuck. So perhaps check the sole pattern on the model you're thinking of if you encounter gravel on your runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used On Running shoes? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
people tend to go by "feeling", which is great as I can confirm. but by feeling you can fall in many other traps.
unfortunately, feeling not necessarily goes together with good protection and good long term fit for your style and stride.
i use them only for walking around, which is where "feeling" makes sense. they are also good looking shoes with very attracting colors.

overall: heel stability is very poor and who suffers from Achilles tendonitis will notice it immediately. If you don't suffer from Achilles, you will

I'm sorry but what a total crock of crap.

I've used On's for years with zero injuries. I currently float between 2 x brands again without issues. I know countless folk in On's with zero issues.
I would not recommend any particular trainer for everyone as we all have unique styles and traits and what suits one does not suit all, just like how an injury for one does not mean an injury for all.

But more importantly, to comment poor heel stability is ridiculous, and to relate this to Achilles injury more ridiculous. Any science other than your opinion?
Didn't think so.

Injuries are caused by muscle or tendon weaknesses, or overtraining, imbalances, or pushing too hard too soon, or a combo etc.
Granted an ill fitting trainer may also exascerbate same but not a particular trainer for all.

How you can state that is beyond me.
Firstly all feet and muscle make up is unique for most of us. What's suits you may not suit me. Gait differences, arch variances, width, pronation etc.

The blatant ignorance of your statement is hilarious.
Last edited by: Fazz: Jun 22, 18 0:54
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used On Running shoes? [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

I've used On's for years with zero injuries. I currently float between 2 x brands again without issues. I know countless folk in On's with zero issues.
I would not recommend any particular trainer for everyone as we all have unique styles and traits and what suits one does not suit all, just like how an injury for one does not mean an injury for all.

But more importantly, to comment poor heel stability is ridiculous, and to relate this to Achilles injury more ridiculous. Any science other than your opinion?
Didn't think so.

Injuries are caused by muscle or tendon weaknesses, or overtraining, imbalances, or pushing too hard too soon, or a combo etc.
Granted an ill fitting trainer may also exascerbate same but not a particular trainer for all.

Firstly all feet and muscle make up is unique for most of us. What's suits you may not suit me. Gait differences, arch variances, width, pronation etc.

well I did not say it is valid for all as you can imagine
if you run with flip flops there are very good chances you ll get an injury. it is a matter of chances. maybe you ll never get injured.

my feedback come from a biomechanics lab where they study all shoes models (and I am often in contact with them). most of the people coming for gait analysis after injuries, are triathletes with several months of ON shoes usage. again, it is not 100% of the population. there are people with Asics, Mizuno etc. i am saying, the incidence % is very high for ON

then, if you want to keep insulting me, go ahead. it goes through. i don't care
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Fazz wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

Didn't think so.

if you run with flip flops there are very good chances you ll get an injury. it is a matter of chances. maybe you ll never get injured.

my feedback come from a biomechanics lab where they study all shoes models (and I am often in contact with them). most of the people coming for gait analysis after injuries, are triathletes with several months of ON shoes usage. again, it is not 100% of the population. there are people with Asics, Mizuno etc. i am saying, the incidence % is very high for ON

then, if you want to keep insulting me, go ahead. it goes through. i don't care

I didn't insult you. I called you out on your ludicrous statement is all.

You said if you don't have Achilles issues you will.

Inferring all.

Sorry but it was an unfair and inaccurate statement.
You have experience of issues, I and others of none. Let's not be silly and blame a pair of runners on it and call it unfounded heel instability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
who suffers from Achilles tendonitis will notice it immediately. If you don't suffer from Achilles, you will
Plissken74 wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what you said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife tried them after years of racing competitively (mostly half and full marathons and ironmans) in ASICS. Sorry to say she developed plantar fasciitis which eventually ruptured. The lower heel (possibly from the cushy compression) I believe is to blame. I am a physical therapist and we switched back after the problems developed early in the season, but it was too late. Word of caution about any sneaker change (not only ON brand) - compare the sole rise from old pair to ones you are considering, and pay attention to any possible symptoms.

PS: good news is after rupture, the podiatrist she was seeing said she avoided the surgery she was considering (a surgical release). Bad news: she spent 4 months in a boot and 3 months in intense PT to get back to her old speedy self.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in some cloudflows and they were good shoes. No break in period, no weird blister, achilles issues, or what have you. They had a good lifespan, but it wasn't as long as some of my other shoes before I could feel my legs taking a beating (I always feel it in my knee and quads when my shoes are getting older). I ran a Marathon on down to 10k and they were good. My only issue was the little "clouds" or lugs trapped rocks in them all the time. . .and they are expensive. But I have a lot of friends who where them all the time.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used On Running shoes? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had two pairs of the Cloud.

I've liked them. They are super light and comfortable.

My only complaint is the same as others have mentioned. Rocks, acorns, etc getting stuck in the grooves is a constant issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used On 'Cloud' for ironman and half ironman races and really liked them- good combination of cushioning and flexibility and light weight. the outsole wore very quickly though. The Cloud has been discontinued (I think) which is unfortunate- not sure which model is the replacement or if its as good.

edit:- i checked the website and the cloud is still available - yay!

Last edited by: tristorm: Jun 22, 18 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used four different styles of the On shoes and they've all worked well for me. I've had the Cloudsurfer, Cloudflyer, Cloudflow, and Cloud X. As others have said, certain types will trap rocks and pebbles which can be annoying. The Cloudsurfer didn't seem to do this and I ran a marathon and a 22-mile trail run in them just fine. I've used the Cloudflow with speed laces for triathlons up to 70.3 and found them to be good shoes for me. I agree that the durability doesn't seem to be as long as previous trainers I've had but they seem to work very well for my foot so I don't mind so much. The Cloudlyers and Cloudsurfers both lasted about 400 miles but the heel on the Cloudflow wore out around 250... but that could also be due to the extra strain of racing in them from extra sweat, salt water, urine, etc :-) Overall happy with them.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quite like the feel and have run happier and healthier in several On models than anything else. That said, the rocks lodging in them, especially as they age, is annoying AF. They also don't have great longevity compared to other shoes I've used - especially at their price point. I'm still a loyalist despite these issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see and raise the longevity complaints. I was initially in heaven with these shoes (I've tried a couple of models). But then they bottomed out very quickly. And it happens immediately - one run they are fine, the next they are dead (vs. most shoes have a long "hospice" phase). I won't buy again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried on the Cloudsurfer and fell in love it and have abandoned my Skechers pretty much. Apparently my feet like the feedback from the shoes vs. my Skechers which no feel mushy. Of course al this is individual. For example I have friends who run in NB and I tried them and hated them immediately. I love the style of Newtons but the POP's aggravated my achilles (I guess that says something about my tight achilles/calves). Anyway to answer your question I really like them and have 3 pairs but can't answer about the wear issue ..yet. Still they are pricey...no matter where you buy them!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear ON Cloud in all-black to work. Looks like a dress shoe, and I can still run to catch the train after work. Running in them a few blocks on concrete feels pretty good. That's all I have.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used On Running shoes? [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ON gave me a tib post injury, my physio told me to bin them.
And they don’t last long before the clouds wear and split
I’m back to newton and vivobarefoot now and injury free

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine, here are the pros and cons in my experience-

Pros
Best fit ever for my narrow feet
Nicest looking shoes out there
Extremely comfortable
Excellent road feel
Supportive without being clunky

Cons
The tongue is long, and caused some initial rubbing on my upper foot
Shoe longevity is not what I would hope at that price
Traction is not good in the rain or other slightly slippery conditions
Have to stop not infrequently to remove rocks from the grooves
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used On Running shoes? [caffeinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The upper on the shoe is not durable. Had 2 pairs and both developed a tear in the fabric along the outer upper. For that price they should more than 100 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just discovered them, in what has been a long and arduous process to replace my go-to run shoes which have been discontinued. I have run in probably 15 pairs from all different brands, and right now the Cloudflyer is my fave out of all of them. they are the only ones that aren't too squishy, too chunky, too hard, not enough support, too much support, etc. They just feel great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a pair of them a few months ago. Ran in them once. They felt a whole lot harder than I expected. Haven't used them since. They're still in my closet. I might give them a try. Was just surprised that the "cloud" shoes felt like bricks
Quote Reply

Prev Next