Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone use Carbopro?
Quote | Reply
If so, plain or do you mix with other flavored stuff? Has anyone used Vantage?

http://www.nvo.com/sportquestdir/origin/

Aloha
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Carbopro? [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Navi,

I have been using Carbo Pro right through my winter base period. It enables me to easily get in 1500 - 2000 calories for my long 6 + hr training rides. The biggest benefit...and I mean huge, is that Carbo Pro enables me train so much longer without the fatigue I used to feel on long rides. Because I am fueling my body with exactly the correct amount of carbs, I therefore are not depleting my body's reserves. This has the effect of speeding my recovery times by a matter of days. I did a 160km ride (28.2 avg speed) on a reaonably hilly course on Wednesday and felt good enough to repeat the course yesterday for a total of 461 km on the bike this week. I could never handle this kind of volume in the past because I couldn't recover fast enough. Just over 1 month ago I did a 271km ride in 9.30 hrs and all I drank was Carbo Pro and a little Ensure.

I find it is best to calculate how many hours you will ride the night before and mix the appropriate amount into a water bottle and top the bottle up with water. Use this bottle as your concentrate mix and sqirt some into your other bottles, Jetstream or Camelbak. I mix it the night before a heavy concentrate needs a few hrs to desolve completey. I then mix this concentrated solution with my favorite sports drink for taste.

I beleive I will blow my prevoisu Ironman time out of the water come May this year. My bulletproof nutrition planwill be one of the main factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great high carb source for IM distance racing and training. I mix it with Gatoraid powder. Concur with the above post that it makes the long rides much easier as you always have energy... if ingested at regular intervals... 300 cals per hour works for me. Have completed a few Ironman using this product as my only fuel source.

Shawn1

Shawn Skene
Last edited by: Shawn_1: Mar 16, 03 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Team (Team Going Beyond) used it in the 2002 Raid Gauloises in Vietnam. It worked OK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Carbopro? [Shane D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbopro website is not as comprehensive as I would like, although the product sounds like it would be a good fit for me. Can you tell me how much protein is included per serving? Also, they don't mention which complex carbs are used as the energy source. Is it maltodextrin or something else? I'm hoping this is all spelled out on the actual container. Thanks

dave judice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used it plain and mixed with other drink mixes. This stuff easily dissolves in water and I have never had a problem with "sediment". I currently use Carbopro mixed with Gatorade (Gatorade used sparingly as to just add some flavor). There is no protein content, so if you're one who also supplements as such, you'll need to use a product that offers some (along with the Carbopro).

As per the SportsQuestDirect.com web sight:

CARBO-PRO: (C6H10O5)n.H2O
CARBO-PRO is a nonsweet (nuetral flavor) glucose polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarly by alpha-1-4 bonds, having a Dextrose Equivalency of less than 16 (high molecular weight). It is low on the Glycemic Index (20) in comparison to sugar (100).

Its a white powder prepared by enzymatic hydrolysis (patented process) of grains (corn/barley/rice) with safe and suitable enzymes. Its safe for direct human consumption.

CARBO-PRO is agglomerated to create dustless, low-density granules with good physical strength and free flowing properties. It exhibits excellent dispersibility and dissolution characterisitcs.

High-performance liquid chromotograpy analysis determines that the average degree of polymerization, i.e., the number of glucose units joined in the molecule is 6.2. The average theoretical molecular weight is 1,000. The high molecular weight helps in quick absorption.

Low Solution Osmolality: CARBO-PRO has a perfect balance of caloric concentration and osmolality. The dextrose equivalency of CARBO-PRO is 16 therefore it is low in osmolality even up to 15% to 20% solution in water (200 to 220) lower than body fluid osmolality (280 to 300). For example the osmolality of sugar at 15% to 20% solution in water is approximately 800. Therefore sugar at this concentration is too hard on the stomach. Relative to sugars, CARBO-PRO provides higher caloric density without exceeding osmotic balance.

The total complex carbohydrate content of CARBO-PRO is 94.5%.

Percentage Complex Carbohydrate 94.5 % Moisture 5 % Protein < 0.1 % Fat < 0.1 % Fiber < 0.1 % Serving Size = 1 scoop (1 oz.) or (28.5 gm)
Calories per serving = 115
Total Carbohydrate Per Serving = 28.5 gm
19 % of Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.

Recommended Use:
As a dietary supplement, mix two scoops (2 oz.) or (57 gm) in 20-24 oz. of water and drink it during exercise activity.

Note: Diabetics should consult their physician before use.

As for Vantage, I have found it helpful as a "phosphate loading" supplement, leading up to a major race (1/2 IM or IM).

Hope this helps...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Carbopro? [JAHeisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also getting ready to do my first Ironman and am interested in setting up my nutrition for the race. How does the Carbopro stack up against others such as Sustained Energy? Also, the Carbopro comes in a 3lb can how long can you expect that to last? Thanks.

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Carbopro? [craig16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Carbopro & really like it & find it highly digestable, so I can pack in a lot of calories without feeling bloated or upsetting my stomach. The only problem is that it doesn't have any protein, which I think you need for longer efforts. So what I do for training long rides & runs & did last year at IMFL was to mix Carbopro with the Hammergel Sustained Energy which has protein in it. It is also a little more cost effective, because if you just use the Sustained Energy by itself all the time it can be pricey!

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Carbopro? [craig16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I tend to have GI problems when I use products that contain protein during exercise. I am familiar with Sustained Energy (contains protein), but again because of its' contents I avoid its use. I personally have found Carbopro by itself is tolerable (if mixed and consumed as directed). I have used it to also "boost" the carb content of other beverages (i.e. meal replacement drinks). Personally, I look for a drink mix that does not tend to settle (sediment at the bottom of the bottle). I reason that if it "separates" in a water bottle, then what must it be doing in my stomach?! Nutrition is a very individual aspect, especially during long distance events. My suggestion is to try various products/methods during training and use what works best (don't wait 'till race day to try something!!!).

Carbopro comes in a 3 lbs. canister that provides 25 servings (2 scoops per serving). See my previous post for calorie / grams carb information. As for how long it will last, depends upon how much you will intend to use (per drink mixture). The canister and the web sight provide general guidelines on usage (mixture strength) based upon weight/activity.
Quote Reply