Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone try waterproof or neoprene oversocks in a race?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has tried using waterproof socks; since they should conform to the rules that allow for booties as long as it is a wetsuit legal swim. If you wore your race socks under them, you would not have to pull socks on wet feet (just strip off the oversock), and the oversock might help the wetsuit slip off more quickly...at least that was my line of thinking. Anyone try it?

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Last edited by: stephenj: Apr 29, 21 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try waterproof or neoprene oversocks in a race? [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has tried using waterproof socks; since they should conform to the rules that allow for booties as long as it is a wetsuit legal swim. If you wore your race socks under them, you would not have to pull socks on wet feet (just strip off the oversock), and the oversock might help the wetsuit slip off more quickly...at least that was my line of thinking. Anyone try it?

Stephen J

I have a pair of goretex socks. Is that what you mean?
They'll keep my feet dry to a point, but not if you submerse them in water.
Even in heavy rain water will wick it's way into the top of the sock.
You'd have to use some sort of waterproof tape, but that would defeat the whole point.

Just put your socks on in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try waterproof or neoprene oversocks in a race? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

I have a pair of goretex socks. Is that what you mean?
They'll keep my feet dry to a point, but not if you submerse them in water.
Even in heavy rain water will wick it's way into the top of the sock.
You'd have to use some sort of waterproof tape, but that would defeat the whole point.

Just put your socks on in transition.

Yea, you are right...I was also thinking about some really cold water that I just found out is not as cold as I was thinking it would be. I think Ill stick with the original game plan.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J
I’ve worn neoprene booties to swim in really cold water. Water definitely still gets in and they’re slow as hell. If you don’t need them to make the temp tolerable, I would strongly dissuade.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try waterproof or neoprene oversocks in a race? [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

First thought was that they'd be illegal..however if not,
1) I'd be surprised if you could get them off in a hurry without your socks coming with them, and
2) having spent a lot of time in similar over winter last year, I'd hate to race in them
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try waterproof or neoprene oversocks in a race? [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

I’ve worn neoprene booties to swim in really cold water. Water definitely still gets in and they’re slow as hell. If you don’t need them to make the temp tolerable, I would strongly dissuade.

^^^^This.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

I do not know exactly what you mean, but to my point of view socks or booties or anything are generally not allowed in a wetsuit legal swim. Only in absolute exceptions, like the Norseman or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try waterproof or neoprene oversocks in a race? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

I do not know exactly what you mean, but to my point of view socks or booties or anything are generally not allowed in a wetsuit legal swim. Only in absolute exceptions, like the Norseman or something.

I bought a pair of neoprene booties for an ITU race in Sweden. The water was 57 degrees and they did not allow us to wear them. I survived. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly nearly all UK races, booties and gloves are banned (Xtri allow them, but then again they don't apply the pansy temperature limits of FINA or most tri.

2 things I've found when I tried them
- slow AF
- lift my feet too much - I'm kicking with my feet out of the water, and they just bend me backwards like a banana due to the lift/buoyancy and in turn give my back some grief.
Quote Reply