Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20?
Quote | Reply
Anyone signed up and planning on racing? I signed up before Covid and am really hoping this race is a go -

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jun 11, 20 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son and I are registered. We selected it from the options available after the Galveston race was cancelled.

I was pretty hopeful it would be held, being at the end of Sept., but I'm becoming more skeptical. I'm just getting into my 16 week training program. I was basically at the end of it when Galveston was cancelled and have only been running and biking "off plan" until last week.

I've not done a Tri, so I was really looking forward to Galveston and now am really looking forward to Augusta. We are arriving Thursday night and leaving Monday, driving from Texas and bringing our wives. Basically, a mini-vacation with a 70.3 mile workout :)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Last edited by: LEBoyd: Jun 11, 20 20:02
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was between Augusta and NC 70.3. I opted for NC because it's a month later. Good luck, though! Augusta is a bucket list race for me.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a room booked at the Marriott but have not signed up yet. Waiting to see how likely the race is to happen as well as what the Covid-19 safety situation looks like closer to the race date. The last few years (due to the severe heat) it hasn't sold out or only sold out close to race day so feel comfortable waiting a bit longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I transferred one of my cancelled races into augusta.

I'm leaning towards the race not happening. Even if it does happen, I think there will be a big risk in making the trip and being around that many people. Unless things change (hopefully they do), I don't think the risk is worth it.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Augusta is, I think, the largest IM or 70.3 on Ironman’s North American roster. So it has that working against it. It has Georgia politics maybe working for it.

Who knows.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 Chatt has been bigger for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rolled into this one from Chattanooga 70.3. I'm really excited to do it again. I did it from 2009-2012 and have missed it since, but this is the only tri I'm signed up for. Right now I'd give it about a 75% chance.

The thing about Georgia politics, is that it still is somewhat dependent on the local levels. I'm based in Atlanta and while Georgia has been "open" since the end of April, the Atlanta mayor has slowed the opening that she has control over. For example, the pool at the Y and LA fitness have been open for about a month now for lap swimming only, but all city of Atlanta outdoor pools are still closed.

Just searching for the Augusta mayor's name and coronavirus, brings the following article,

https://www.wjbf.com/...alled-into-question/

Not really making a political statement, but just an idea to try to gauge on how the local government is operating.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Chattanooga 70.3 in August, Augusta 70.3 in September and Waco 70.3 in October. I hope all three happen!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed them yesterday as I was curious if it was still going to happen. It'll be my first 70.3 so I'm about to start structured training for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Augusta last year and was awesome. You likely already know this, but there is a great Facebook page for the race. I suppose right now, nobody really knows with everything going on. But if anyone does know or have local tidbits of information that lean one way or the other, you'll see them on that FB page.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also moved from Chatt to Augusta for this year. I was planning on signing up for Augusta anyway, and when Chatt cancelled I decided to just slide it over.

Doing Chatt in August was not an option... There's hot, and then there's HOT!!! August in Chattanooga is the latter. I'm trying to test my fitness after a good period of consistent training, and a death march is not the way I want to test.

I'm optimistic. Cases are going up, but it seems hospitalizations are not increasing as drastically so hopefully we can make this happen. I WILL be there if it is a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I was between Augusta and NC 70.3. I opted for NC because it's a month later. Good luck, though! Augusta is a bucket list race for me.

Thanks yeah I am really familiar with the Augusta course and setup/layout of the race, so hope they still have it, but partially think if they don't, some people might roll over to the NC race, which isn't that far from me either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chose NC over Augusta, Augusta in the September sounds like running in an oven
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hollywood_USAF wrote:
I chose NC over Augusta, Augusta in the September sounds like running in an oven

It was last year
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Hollywood_USAF wrote:

It was last year

Yeah I feel like some people started their swim as early as possible in 2019 to avoid the heat and race cutoffs. So they weren't seeded correctly. The swim is pretty nice I think - just a straight shot. The current didn't seem as strong last year as previous years. I seemed to avoid the heat in 2019 by the time I finished the run and didn't feel it was too bad.

The hottest race for me in 2019 was Haines City 70.3 and I didn't know if I was going to make it at some points and hadn't ever experienced that feeling before of just completely overheating.

I guess if this race gets rolled to NC 70.3 in October, at least it will be cool for that race. I'm starting to like racing in colder environments, although prefer racing with no wetsuit over a wetsuit, so hope that Augusta will not permit them again. I get that it might be faster with a wetsuit, but I just like the feeling of swimming without one in the water.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
My son and I are registered. We selected it from the options available after the Galveston race was cancelled.

I was pretty hopeful it would be held, being at the end of Sept., but I'm becoming more skeptical.

I’m pretty skeptical now as August races are being cancelled and cases are spiking now.

I hope I get some refund from the hotel. I wonder if they will push it back to Jan or Feb. That would be nice. It would be interesting racing this course on a cold day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for the third year in a row. The head of the Augusta 70.3 Facebook group seems really optimistic that it is going to happen. The Augusta sports council has been working with the city on logistics. I’m more skeptical now that Lubbock got shut down at the last minute.

The swim start is what concerns me most of all. I didn’t get into the water until 9 am last year and 9:30 am in 2018. I can’t imagine how much longer it would take trying to do wave starts with social distancing enforcements.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone signed up for 2020 Augusta 70.3 9/27/20? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Signed up for the third year in a row. The head of the Augusta 70.3 Facebook group seems really optimistic that it is going to happen. The Augusta sports council has been working with the city on logistics.

wow ok yeah I have been to Augusta 2013, 2018, 2019, and now signed up for 2020. I really like the course and its close to home for me so have had a really good experience each year. I would be so happy to race it again in 2020!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this may be happening? I haven't gotten any emails or notices.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I guess this may be happening? I haven't gotten any emails or notices.

I wouldn't be so sure until you actually jump in the water on race day........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh. I'm not counting on it, but if it does happen and it keeps it's pro field, I'll be there. I would say there is probably a higher chance of thisone happening vs CDA on September 6th though.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chance. Augusta is seeing a surge (as is Georgia as a whole) and gatherings are still limited to less than 50 people. Not seeing how a race the magnitude of Augusta has a chance in hell of happening two months from now.

https://www.augustachronicle.com/...e-in-covid-19-deaths

https://www.augustachronicle.com/...georgia-augusta-area

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count another deferral here from April’s IM 70.3 Florida. We’ll see how it all plays out. Of course, would love a chance to put all this training to good use and actually race this year.

Augusta has been on the list “to do” for awhile, but ultimately hope the best decisions are made for the right reasons when it comes to this race.

We were also signed up and about ready to roll on to Lubbock last month when we heard the news of that cancellation, so nothing will really be a curveball for us at this point.

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just took the transfer option from the canceled Boulder 70.3. I think as races get cancelled I'll just keep transferring into the next soonest race. Guess I'll see if I can book some refundable plane tickets and accommodations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next