Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone seen this Western States running documentary??
Quote | Reply
So looks like this is coming on for free in about an hour, anyone seen it, what did you think, worth it??

https://www.youtube.com/...xnOeeZkem_2yrs5Tw4Dk
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I can cast that to the TV and actually be interested in something. Thanks

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm watching right now, and it is awesome so far in the intro. If anyone is contemplating this, turn it on now!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need to find time to watch! What an epic race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks Monty for the heads-up notification. I watched it. A classic mix of old school endurance racing with a little new school. This is one YouTube I'll watch more than once. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Awesome. I can cast that to the TV and actually be interested in something. Thanks

After I log off for the day

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great movie!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [dmacst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, this was super awesome, but I didnt catch the year of the race, pre 2010 it looks like? Killian was just a kid, and there were some old big names from the ultra world featured. And what a race, they couldn't have asked for a tighter or fast race in the 100 mile ultra world. If any of you haven't watched it, carve out some lockdown time and put on the head phones, it is worth it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up Monty, just finished it and was great, put together in a way you wouldn’t expect the winner to have been who it was.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That part was great and surprising. Not remembering the results from way back then, and the subsuquent results with many of those guys winning, it was kind of like watching it live. I think we all would have thrown the eventual winner out of contention, so a great race and kept us on the edge the entire way..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking for that movie for the past 7 years. 👌

Thanks for posting.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Ride to Ectraordinary on Amazon Prime. Another interesting documentary for those who enjoy suffering a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have any interest in exploring more ultra running documentaries, check out Billy Yang on YouTube. He has several great ones related to Western States, the Leadville 100, and UTMB (the 103 mile trail race around Mont Blanc).

Also, the Ginger Runner (also on YouTube) has a few good videos. Wonderland is about Gary Robbins FKT around Mt Ranier. Where Dreams Go to Die is about Gary Robbins' attempts to complete The Barkley Marathons
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Check out Ride to Ectraordinary on Amazon Prime. Another interesting documentary for those who enjoy suffering a little.

Yes that one is very good. Watched the series a couple weeks ago.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An older one, but Desert Runners was an interesting watch. Free on Amazon Prime Video.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I have been looking for that movie for the past 7 years. 👌

Thanks for posting.

Ultrarunners have raved about the movie for years but it was hard to get. I got it as a DVD from a library a few years ago. Cool that it's on youtube now and more people can see it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it last night. Good stuff! Worth your time for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched it the other day. I will give it an 8/10. The thing that brought it down from 10 for me, is that it was getting kind of annoying that the filmmaker would stop the coverage mid race and flashback to some random scene about an athlete's home life. Like every 5 minutes. I just didn't like that format. Otherwise than that, I liked the content/race.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone seen this Western States running documentary?? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant fault them for breaking in and doing personal pieces here and there, it is a very long race, and I'm sure their footage of the actual race was limited. Probably most of it was just someone running with a camera alongside them, before drones were really a thing. And during most of the aid stations too from the looks of it.

They could have jammed all the personal stuff in the beginning, but they already had a lot there to begin with, so would have just kind of been lost. With the limited footage I. think it was good to drag it out as much as they could, to give us the feel of how long the race really is. Even with that, I did not appreciate how long they actually race for, like I do when I watch Kona live the entire day. If it was just race, it would have been over pretty quick, and then the build up for that great finish would have just come up way too early..

I was just happy that they didn't go to some cancer patient or heart attack victim running in the MOP/BOP of the race. And the stuff from Runner 0 was great, crusty old bastard for sure. His look backs on the first time he did it, how he did it, horses dying while he soldiers on with no aid, drinking out of rivers only, was great stuff. And after all that, he has to sprint to set the eventual gold buckle time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This appeared to the showdown the sport was waiting for? Reminded me of Dave vs Mark X2, four undefeated runners, three veterans and the new kid and someone like Bob Babbitt reflecting on the first run. Thanks for the post!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty. I'm really enjoying it. It was too much for one sitting, but I'm looking forward to picking it up again.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched it last night. Very enjoyable. Interesting to see that as recently as 2010 amateurs (people with jobs/studies) were able to take the top two spots. (third place was Jornet and I assume he was a pro even back then) I had a look at the times since 2010 and they have come way down presumably because the race is now dominated by pros.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply