Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone running with power?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
Sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed before but I tried to do a search but didn't see anything specifically regarding the topic. I wanted to see if anyone has tried running with power? Do you think it works as well as biking with a power meter? I've tried using HR but find the longer I run the more my HR drifts up and while I tried to slow my pace I end up walking and thought the power option would be less affected by conditions such as temperature, hydration etc.

Thanks,
Lisa
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running with power? [ljam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ljam wrote:
Hi All,
Sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed before but I tried to do a search but didn't see anything specifically regarding the topic. I wanted to see if anyone has tried running with power? Do you think it works as well as biking with a power meter? I've tried using HR but find the longer I run the more my HR drifts up and while I tried to slow my pace I end up walking and thought the power option would be less affected by conditions such as temperature, hydration etc.

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa,

Run power is becoming more and more of an effective tool for training, and for racing. You can dial in intensities for running, both in training and racing, for better training response, recovery and performance. I've used it very effectively with my athletes to pace better off the bike in long course racing, and also as a tool for intensity in training, instead of by pace. So many variables effect pace, but power is much more consistent. Once you know your threshold power, it becomes a lot more clear.

Hope this helps!

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a Stryd for a couple years, and began experimenting by actually targeting power during races this year. So far, I like it a lot. I ran my best 5K, 10M, and 13.1M races in a long time by focusing on running power. It forces you to slow down a lot more than you might on hills. But, it also reminds you to pick it up more on the downhills.

I do not train to power at all, though. I do most of my running in the dark, so I cannot see the power numbers very well on my watch. And, when I do intervals, I am more running to RPE than power (also in the dark). But, I do analyze power during my intervals after the run to help me know what I did for future efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running with power? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies! Now I guess I just have to decide on which watch;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I run with stryd. IMO it’s a nice to have not a need to have. Unlike biking running is load bearing so you have a much more intuitive sense of the perceived effort in running. On a hilly course there are lots of benefits to running with power as you can moderate the efforts appropriately but on a flat course you don’t really need as pace is sufficient enough.
Quote Reply