Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone riding in NY (westchester county) this weekend?
Quote | Reply
I'll be in town visiting my folks this weekend (in Ossining) and hoping to fit in a 3hr ride or so on Saturday.

Anyone riding?

Anyone know of good places to ride 50 or 60 miles, safely, in or around Westchester County? Willing to travel a bit if need be.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding in NY (westchester county) this weekend? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a group ride on both Sat and Sun leaving from the Cross County shopping center at 9:25am.

The ride is three rides in one, with a 25 mile easy, a 40 mile medium ride and a fast paced 50+ mile ride.

Make sure you know how to ride in a pack as there are over 100 riders on any given morning and things can get kinda too close for comfort at time. No aero bars allowed and helmets are mandatory.

Let me know if you need more info.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding in NY (westchester county) this weekend? [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. When you say no aerobars allowed, you mean you can have them on the bike, you just can't get into the aero position - correct?

If that's the case (I only have a tri-bike) then yeah please give me more info.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding in NY (westchester county) this weekend? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its called The Gimbels Ride.

It starts at 9:20am sharp. Not a minute later.

Starts at the Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers right off the highway.

The long ride goes North all the way up to Chappaqua. There and back is about 65 miles. This is a pretty fast paced ride where attacks will take place and where you will be forced to bridge gaps.

The shorter ride is about 25 miles and the middle ride is abot 40.

They obviously can't keep you from riding on public roads, but over 95% of the folks are roadies, so there are no aerobars. The other 5% are tri/du athletes who ride their road bikes. Maybe someone sneaks in with ITU-style bars but nobody rides cow horns, at least in the last three years I have known about the ride.

It's just not very smart to ride 5+ wide in a 100+ person pack on public roads open to traffic at 30mph. Remember, roads in NY are not like in Arizona - some of these potholes can swallow an SUV.

Let me know if you need more info or have any questions.

The website is http://www.usicycling.org/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to keep this post toward the top. I really want to ride this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a look at www.westchestertriclub.com they ride from SUNY Purchase every saturday morning (go and check the work out section). The problem is that I think the vast majority will be in Lake Placid, racing or spectating... If you end up alone check http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/m/north_hv/ and try the Bear Mountain ride: challenging and beautiful. Have fun...
Quote Reply
the ride is SLR [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ride in Bear Mountain is Seven Lake and River
Quote Reply