Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ride a Felt AR-FRD?
Quote | Reply
I am looking for some collective wisdom here?.
I am in the market for a new bike, and a local shop has the Felt AR - FRD in my size at a decent price (I think).
I wasn't really looking for a aero bike but this does seem interesting.
I am coming from a traditional road bike and am pretty much looking for a do it all bike.
I usually do about 15-20 races (crit's etc.. no tri's) a year but also love to get out into the mountains for some climby long rides.

Does anyone own one of these? how is it as an everyday bike?
It likely would be awesome on race day but from what I have read it's a bit on the heavy side and am wondering if I might not have as much fun out on my long hilly days.

Any insight or ideas would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a Felt AR-FRD? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had one of these almost 5 years now. A local bike shop our team had a great deal on bikes. I had them build one up from the frame and I've been very happy with it - total 2016 cost for an Ultegra Di2 build (I already had wheels) was about $7k. I live in a hilly area and I've never thought of the weight of the bike as a problem on climbs (*my* weight on the other hand ... :-) ) . While I don't race crits, It's been my every day riding / training bike since then, even the rare packed dirt /gravel ride, which I found a bit too bumpy for this sort of bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a Felt AR-FRD? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve built up an AR3 and an AR5 with Ultegra Di2 and generally love the bikes. I like that it’s an aero frameset that you don’t see every day on the roads. I’m too heavy to go uphill fast (regardless of bike weight) but it flies on flat and rolling roads. The FRD has such a cool carbon pattern and I’d definitely ride one, given the chance.

But if I was going to buy one today I’d likely prefer the new disc-brake model to my rim-brakes. I don’t feel as confident in braking power and stopping times with the rim brakes and bottom bracket brake on my carbon rims on longer steep descents.

As for comparison to other aero frames, I did rent a Specialized Venge Pro mechanical with disc brakes to ride for a few days in Kona last year and was surprised that it didn’t feel as quick to accelerate as my AR3 despite getting into a similar position.
Quote Reply