Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit
Quote | Reply
The last two tri's I did, I had some cramping just as I get out of the swim... (running up the shore)... I also had issues taking off the wetsuit while standing cause it causes my calves to start cramping so I have to stop that action and sit down to pull out the wetsuit.. Whatever its doing to my legs, I think is determinable to my bike and run legs.. I can only conclude its the wetsuit causing it.

My next try is in september with water temp probably around 65-68... never swam that cold before,.. anyone do that, prefer no wetsuits?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jul 10, 12 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer swimming without it, but I am faster with it...

Quote | Reply
I prefer swimming without it as well, but I use it in every race it's legal anyway.

+1

Rosshole wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [Rosshole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here...been a swimmer all my life so wetsuits feel weird to me, but I'll wear it if it's well within legal temps for speed. If it's borderline, it's probably going to be too hot for me, so I'll ditch it in favor of not overheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on the prefer without but faster with, but since I'm probably not winning any awards this year I've swam every event without. :)

I have no issues swimming without a wetsuit down to around 60F. It does take a while for me to get in the water, but once I'm there I don't have any problem swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yes, and I'm not even a "real" swimmer. Not only do I find it MUCH more comfortable (assuming reasonable water temps) but I also love how a non-wetsuit swim really mindfucks some 85% of the field... :D

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [Rosshole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rosshole wrote:

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem with wetsuits is that I feel like I have to wear one, or else give up a couple minutes in speed on a HIM swim. But then I start the bike half cooked.

I understand using wetsuits in really cold water to prevent hypothermia, but 75 degree water is perfect for swimming competition. And hyperthermia on the run is usually a bigger problem that hypothermia on the swim, unless the water is actually cold, which in most triathlons isn't the case. I suspect that I've melted down on HIM runs due to overheating on the swim, and being hot for the whole nearly 5 hours.

I really despise the whole wetsuit in triathlon concept.

But I suppose its the only way that ordinary people who can't swim very well can do an ironman.
What's the point of an ironman race if people who don't swim well can't do it?

Stopped Clock.

Correct twice a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffer from cramps in the pool without a wetsuit and also get cramps in the ocean with a suit, I don't think your cramping calves is caused by the wetsuit, it's prolly more to do with nutrition or hydration.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
I suffer from cramps in the pool without a wetsuit and also get cramps in the ocean with a suit, I don't think your cramping calves is caused by the wetsuit, it's prolly more to do with nutrition or hydration.

I never get cramps in the pool though, not sure why.

Anyway is 65-68 acceptable to swim without wetsuit or will I get cold?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:

Probably depends on your size. I'm about 6'0", 185-190lb and 65-68 feels fantastic to me. Maybe a little chilly at first, but I warm up quickly. It's when you start getting closer to 62 and below that I get a little chilly. If you're smaller, you might get cold easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you ask. I did the Carlsbad sprint last weekend in my sleeveless wetsuit and was going to use that at Vineman this weekend as well. Problem is every time I wear it in a race I get a nasty neck rash. I assume its because I have my try suit underneath it and the neck cut is different then a regular full suit. One option is to do the swim with my try suit pulled half way down while swimming but I am actually contemplating switching things up and going sans wetsuit. The water will be nice and it might provide me a good change of pace. Besides, if I get gassed I could always stand up...right?? I always find it awkward kicking in my wetsuit too. I tend to drag my legs more. And if I ever made Kona I'd need to know how to swim without one anyway. Decisions, decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [mallaire1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get neck rash... Put lots of glide fixed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer you all swim without one while I wear mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer when wetsuits aren't allowed because I love to hear the pansies bitch and moan.

Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
I also love how a non-wetsuit swim really mindfucks some 85% of the field... :D
hehe, I love that too :)

think we're up to x5 on prefer without but faster with

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly I don't care in the sense that as long as everyone is playing by the same rules, it's fair.

But I'll be honest on this too: They help me, a poor swimmer, more than they seem to help the average triathlete. In a wet suit legal race I might be in the top 70% of my age group in the swim. Yes I know that sucks but in a non-wet suit legal race I'll likely be in the bottom 10% of my age group, IF I beat anyone at all, which is not often. So for whatever reason, I get more of a boost from a wet suit than most of you do.

Still, for me, triathlons are about personal challenges and overcoming what's hard. So I'm happy to do non-wet suit legal races. Not gonna improve if I don't do them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either is fine with me. I grew up wearing wetsuits because I live near a cold ocean.

That being said I prefer no wettie because that means the water is warm enough.

I swam an hour yesterday in 62 degree ocean water and was a little chilly, but fine. YMMV.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
I don't think your cramping calves is caused by the wetsuit, it's prolly more to do with nutrition or hydration.
Nope. I get calf cramps when I wear my wetsuit too, nutrition and hydration otherwise identical. I much prefer non-wetsuit swims. If temps are in the 70s I'm going without, and really wish USAT would adopt ITU wetsuit temp rules. 78 is like bathwater.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious, anyone swim in a swimskin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam my first race this year (HIM) with a wetsuit and I came out of the water dehydrated, cramping, etc and it defenitly impacted my bike and run.
I swore not to put one on unless it is colder than 65. Since then I have done 2 Oly and swam both in my swimskin just becuse I have 2pc tri suit and practice for IM Coz.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone prefer swimming w/o wetsuit [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Dealz wrote:
I swam my first race this year (HIM) with a wetsuit and I came out of the water dehydrated, cramping, etc and it defenitly impacted my bike and run.
I swore not to put one on unless it is colder than 65. Since then I have done 2 Oly and swam both in my swimskin just becuse I have 2pc tri suit and practice for IM Coz.

How was the experience with the swimskin? No cramping im assuming?

Also, Im not sure I understand why the 2pc tri suit has to do with a swimskin?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jul 10, 12 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done probably 70+ triathlons, only wore a wetsuit in two of them. And I do not not live in a warm climate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:

I HATE being cold, but I think 65-68 is doable w/o a wetsuit, probably depends alot on the air temp too. If it was warm and sunny, then yes.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply

Prev Next