Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Self expl. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [Dynastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CORE is effectively silent Kickr17 - Native Thru-axle support. Kickr Climb support. The flywheel is an unnoticeable amount smaller compared to the Gen I/II/III Kickrs. Ray and I have done a fair amount of content around it. It's pretty good unit.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane. First, love your videos... Have you been using the Neo 2 yet? Thinking of ditching the original Hammer for the Neo 2. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Shane. I have seen your stuff and Ray's. In fact I sent your video (The one recommending the Gen 1 as a great deal to get used) to my buddy to convince him to buy mine.

Just wanted to make sure that its worth upgrading. The noise isn't much of an issue for me, as I crank my stereo in the basement (no neighbors). I have no problems w/ my Gen 1, but feel its the time to sell as I can probably get the most $ out of it to put it toward something new and quieter (I normally don't hear the whine, but now I know its there I can't stop hearing it)
Last edited by: Dynastar: Nov 20, 18 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Shane. First, love your videos... Have you been using the Neo 2 yet? Thinking of ditching the original Hammer for the Neo 2. Thanks

Thanks for the kind words. It's much appreciated.

The Neo2 is sitting in the 'lab'. I'll be unboxing and trying to break it tomorrow. Today is all about the Flux S.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't see a review on YouTube yet, so I thought I'd ask, how was the Neo 2? I have a Neo 2 on Pre-Order and a Core/Climb combo on backorder. Net price on both is about the same. Trying to decide which one to keep, and which order to cancel. What I prefer on the Neo 2 is the lack of calibration, lack of a belt, and slightly more accurate power numbers. What I prefer about the Core is it appears to have more steel than plastic, compatible with Climb, and domestic (to the U.S.) customer service. Both units appear to be similarly quiet. Thanks.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:

What are you not liking about the Hammer?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
Didn't see a review on YouTube yet, so I thought I'd ask, how was the Neo 2? I have a Neo 2 on Pre-Order and a Core/Climb combo on backorder. Net price on both is about the same. Trying to decide which one to keep, and which order to cancel. What I prefer on the Neo 2 is the lack of calibration, lack of a belt, and slightly more accurate power numbers. What I prefer about the Core is it appears to have more steel than plastic, compatible with Climb, and domestic (to the U.S.) customer service. Both units appear to be similarly quiet. Thanks.

Neo 2 is a good unit. I'll have my feature length (20min) video up on that within 24hrs. In short - It's the Neo with a killer accurate cadence sensor,TA adapters in the box, and a blue set of pants on. The plastic on trainers is always just a cover, not the structure, so nothing to worry about there. As for the Core/Climb combo - You'll get the Kickr style flywheel feel and the ups and downs.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm coming from a Computrainer, 20 years, so either will likely be an eye opener.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
I'm coming from a Computrainer, 20 years, so either will likely be an eye opener.

Unfortunately your computrainer is likely way more reliable than any of the new breed of trainers....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm afraid of. But I'd really like a direct drive.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my core/climb combo on Saturday coming from a computrainer for about 10 years. I’ve only done one ride so far aside from testing making sure it was all setup correctly but I love it. The climb is awesome, really keeps your mind from drifting. Last night was London which was fun but not a lot of ups and downs. I’m really looking forward to Watopia tonight.

Maxed out decline is awesome!!

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

What are you not liking about the Hammer?

Its been stable for a while now...I was an early adopter and the firmware blues were strong with it the first year.

The Neo will promise no calibration, more accurate power reporting, much more quiet, better cadence and I like the idea of the lateral movement to help with stress on the bike frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comparison. Let me know what you think of the flywheel effect. Flywheel on Computrainer was tiny compared to today's trainers.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can definitely coast further. The computrainer tended to stop pretty quickly, but I'm not sure if that's the flywheel or something all wheel-on trainers do. I do appreciate being able to stop pedaling for a second or two to grab a drink or shift in the saddle without it slowing down significantly.

Rode around Watopia yesterday, I did some of the jungle and some other areas. So fun with the climb.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:

Neo does not need power in case you need to warm-up at the event, this sold me on Neo. We have races sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Came from Wahoo Kickr from 2 kickers actually, I could not handle how inaccurate my kickers were. Not only massive drift after long rides but also 20-30W off power meter. Neo is consistently (at any power) off by 8W from my P1 pedals. So the harder I go the more accurate it gets :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm leaning towards Neo 2.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
Thanks. I'm leaning towards Neo 2.

It is your best bet, especially when money is not an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone moved from Gen 1 Kickr to Core? Thoughts? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's actually $80 less than the Core/Climb combo for me:)

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of stress on the frame, one of my buddies swears he has cracked two of his Carbon bike frames from using them 6 months of the year on direct drive trainers. I am Interested to hear all your thoughts on this one.
Quote Reply