Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack?
Quote | Reply
Seems like one of the original partners split and updated the rack and made it cheaper?

https://www.quikrack.com/

Features that the original Quik-Rack did not have

• Patent pending spring-loaded captive hitch pin prevents accidental loss of rack
  • Patent pending easy-access pivot bar allows user to always operate from the back, not under the rack. The auto-catch, links the Add-On's together automatically when the Add-On makes contact with the rack.
  • Patent pending hand crank hitch mount system with lock provided for safety and security
  • Patent pending tool-less wheel spool adjustment with infinite range
  • Patent pending auto-tray lock design just open the trays and they automatically lock in place
  • Patent Pending no-weld hitch design reduces cost by eliminating all welding and heat treating
  • New wider 45 degree Tray works for heavier bikes, including electric bikes
  • Lighter and stronger FREE Shipping on all products
  • 1-Bike Single Quik-Rack Mach 2 black or silver $269. Quik-Rack Mach 2 Add-On black or silver $169
  • New 2-Bike Add-On only $299
  • The Quik-Rack Mach 2 can be used with tires as wide as 5 inches
The new Quik-Rack Mach 2 is replacing the original Quik-Rack $269 FREE Shipping
The new Quik-Rack Mach 2 Add-On is replacing the original Quik-Rack Add-On $169 FREE Shipping

Last edited by: nublar: Feb 20, 18 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like all the options are built in on the newer model. Love my 1up, but it is heavy as hell with 3 racks. It is the last hitch rack you will ever need to buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the difference between the regular and heavy-duty model? Is it just the ability to expand to 4 or 5 bikes and a 2" receiver? Does the regular come with an adapter for 2" receivers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am supposed to be on the waiting list. Last I heard they would start shipping in March. It looks to be the best solution for me, but right now it is vaporware.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
I am supposed to be on the waiting list. Last I heard they would start shipping in March. It looks to be the best solution for me, but right now it is vaporware.

drn92
Agree, love the vids, design and the writeup. I'm ready to buy BUT the order/delivery dates keep changing... currently vaporware as stated.

I was told April or May, so looks like I'm further down the list or the manufacturing/supply for these has slipped again.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am #2005 on the list. Probably be June at the earliest per the company. I really like the product concept but may end up with something else at this point.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at this, but he said he wouldn’t start shipping until June. I can’t wait that long so gonna go original 1up.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there might be legal delays. It seems like someone sold a company and then introduced a competing product. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a non-compete in which case the 1up people might try to injunct the new rack’s sales.

Don’t know the whole story, just remember reading hints that it was a sketchy situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is definitely shady. The company was sold and whatever agreement was in place supposedly expired. Business is business, but it hardly seems ethical. In any case I've got the original 1up on two cars already so I'm locked in to that design. I fully expect them to last another 10+ years so certainly not planning their replacement anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure. I need a rack that will haul 1 to 4 bikes and the Quikrack/1-Up design seems to be the most flexible and modular for my needs. However, I also need a rack for the spring season ... so I may end up with something else.

Still holding out hope.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
I wonder if there might be legal delays. It seems like someone sold a company and then introduced a competing product. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a non-compete in which case the 1up people might try to injunct the new rack’s sales.

Don’t know the whole story, just remember reading hints that it was a sketchy situation.

The situation seems sleazy. The original owner set up a new company, which he named the same as the previous company with the only difference being a dash. He had control over the domain name, so he switched it to point to his new website, forcing the original company to scramble to get a new domain. For a while there were two 1 Up USAs. He named his product the same as the older company's product plus a mark II. Then on his Youtube channel he wrote that since his patents had expired, other companies were selling the original rack, implying the company that had been in business for almost twenty years was an interloper and his new company was the original company. When the confusing name situation was resolved, he named the new company with the name of the older company's product. Or something like that. The whole thing is a shit show. and I don't know that I would trust the new company, even though the owner is the inventor and founder of the original company. It seems asinine not to start out with a completely new name and focus on the product instead of trying to stick it to the old organization.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, hard to imagine a situation where it isn’t at a minimum sleazy, so I wouldn’t be in a hurry to do business with the new entity.

However, I love my 1up rack and wouldn’t hesitate to buy again. All the stuff is bulletproof and easy to use. I got the double rack with two add ons plus the separate bracket so I can easily carry from 1-4 bikes. Last summer I got the cargo carrier allowing me to carry a 60” wide cargo bag plus two bikes. It’s sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it may have been a falling out among partners who owned the old company but it looks like the quikrack guy owned all the original (now expired) patents and he is doing what great engineers do...improve a product even if tried and true. The design, features and benefits of the new rack seem to address every niggling little performance and / or convenience deficiency of the original rack. Good on him, although I'd like to have been a fly on the wall as the old partners broke apart.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone heard anything about this Quickrack... still seems to be vaporware with some ambiguous information floating around.

I'm on the waiting list but at this point just thinking I might just buy the 1-up that is actually available.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Anyone heard anything about this Quickrack... still seems to be vaporware with some ambiguous information floating around.

I'm on the waiting list but at this point just thinking I might just buy the 1-up that is actually available.

You won’t regret it. I have the original in both 1 bike and 2 bike with 2 add on trays. I can go with any configuration imaginable from 1-4 bikes with a couple quick turns of an Allen key. It’s hands down the best hitch mounted rack I’ve owned (incl Thule, Yakima and rocky mount).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I contacted Cal Phillips, owner of Quick-Rack, and got this update:

"We have experienced delays in production due to a "perfect storm" of events, including the following:
  • The recent proposed tariffs imposed on steel and aluminum by the US, has resulted in a shortage of material in the U.S. The bigger companies are stockpiling materials to reduce their future costs, and so manufacturers are committed to producing significantly more of the major players’ product than normal. Therefore, new product extrusions have the lowest priority. . We have been delayed on getting the extrusion (press) time needed to obtain our custom extruded shapes to manufacture the new Quik-Rack Mach 2.
  • This causes a domino effect in regard to delays in machining and anodization processes as well.
  • Unfortunately, these factors have caused delays in production and delivery schedules for the Quik-Rack Mach 2
  • We have been putting our Quik-Rack Mach 2 through many rigorous tests to ensure that it can handle the load of heavier fat tire and e-bikes. Previously, these heavier models weren’t as popular, and our earlier Quik-Rack version was not built for these heavier bicycles. Therefore, failures have been experienced on the original Quik-Rack design. We’re happy to say that the new Quik-Rack Mach 2 design has been engineered to accommodate the heavier bicycles without additional cost and effort for the user.

If you signed up very early last fall on our newsletter list, we expect that we’ll have the new Quik-Rack Mach 2, ready to ship this summer. Those registrants who indicated interest later, will receive product in the fall or winter. We apologize for the unforeseen delays, and we appreciate your support for our product. We know that you’ll enjoy the ease, convenience and features of the Quik-Rack Mach 2."

Seems like some great new features, but I decided I couldn't wait, and went with the 1up rack. No regrets - I've loved it so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scenicRoute wrote:

If you signed up very early last fall on our newsletter list, we expect that we’ll have the new Quik-Rack Mach 2, ready to ship this summer. Those registrants who indicated interest later, will receive product in the fall or winter. We apologize for the unforeseen delays, and we appreciate your support for our product. We know that you’ll enjoy the ease, convenience and features of the Quik-Rack Mach 2."

Seems like some great new features, but I decided I couldn't wait, and went with the 1up rack. No regrets - I've loved it so far.

Latest newsletter has moved projected shipment dates to Spring 2019... so we've gone from Fall/Winter of 2017, points in between and now second quarter of 2019... maybe.

https://www.quikrack.com/about/newsletter

I may just order the 1-up at this point since it is a real product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I pulled the pin on a 1Up USA. I was waiting for the quickrack but it was taking too long and got tired of pulling wheels off my bike to cram it in the trunk. I absolutely love the 1UP and it was the right decision. The "flaws" in the 1UP that quickrack supposedly fixes have been unnoticeable to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a 1Up USA - 4 bike version and love it - great customer service - I also have a 1 UpUSA bike trainer - and they replaced the fly wheel mech for only $50 shipped - hard to beat.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had one of the 2 bike "heavy duty" (2-inch receiver) 1up racks for a few years now. As others have said, the thing is built like a brick shithouse. I swear it must weigh over 50 pounds. People usually say this as a compliment but honestly the thing is just an overbuilt pig to lug around and install/un-install. Also, most of the edges on all the parts are sharp, so I invariably come away with a few nice gashes in my shins every time I move the thing. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with some other rack that'e easier to move around and store. The Kuat racks seem to be just as highly regarded and look to to weigh about half as much as the 1up racks. Just my $0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I've had one of the 2 bike "heavy duty" (2-inch receiver) 1up racks for a few years now. As others have said, the thing is built like a brick shithouse. I swear it must weigh over 50 pounds. People usually say this as a compliment but honestly the thing is just an overbuilt pig to lug around and install/un-install. Also, most of the edges on all the parts are sharp, so I invariably come away with a few nice gashes in my shins every time I move the thing. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with some other rack that'e easier to move around and store. The Kuat racks seem to be just as highly regarded and look to to weigh about half as much as the 1up racks. Just my $0.02.
I tend to agree, they're definitely overbuilt for road/TT bikes, and the ergonomics on the original model pretty much suck. The one thing that keeps me using mine is that it works with disc wheels, something that can't be said for most of the mainstream racks.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have the 1Up-USA 4 bike rack and love it. Super easy. Doesn't seem that heavy to me . . . my wife is rather small (but tough former ballet dancer) and she takes it on and off all the time by herself and says it is the easiest rack she has ever used.

What is wrong with the "ergonomics"? It is the easiest thing to work that we have.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Received the same email. I bailed a month ago and picked up a Yakima Dr Tray. Works great for 3 bikes. Wish it would carry 4 but we can put one on the roof if needed.

Maybe next year when my son gets a rack we will take another look at the quikrack.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
...an overbuilt pig to lug around and install/un-install... If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with some other rack that'e easier to move around and store. The Kuat racks seem to be just as highly regarded and look to to weigh about half as much as the 1up racks. Just my $0.02.

As someone that has owned both a 1Up and a Kuat NV I think you have this exactly backwards. The 1Up is a dream to install, remove and store compared to the Kuat. I can't speak to the hd version of the 1Up, but the standard 1Up is much lighter than the Kuat.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have the new "non 1upusa" Quickrak tray mount hitch rack? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
What is wrong with the "ergonomics"? It is the easiest thing to work that we have.
The levers for lowering/rasing the arms can be a bit finicky. But my biggest complaint is that black handle for releasing the tilt mechanism, it just sucks IMHO (especially if I have the 2nd bike addon attached).
Quote Reply

Prev Next