Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have experience with Amateur road racing in France? Need Advice!
Quote | Reply
I'm going to spend increasing larger amounts of time in France and I was wondering if anyone has any experience racing road in France?

I have no knowledge of how their racing system works, so any and all details are appreciated. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience with Amateur road racing in France? Need Advice! [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm not a total expert on French amateur cycling, but like most things Francais, the sporting system is built on a club foundation.

Here's a good link on how to get started in racing. It suggests to find a local club. This makes signing up for events easier, as to register for a race, you need a doctor's approval (generally), and a club helps make that process easier.

You can't just sign a waiver like registering for a race in the States.

This link is very helpful in finding a local club and I think you can go from there.

https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/...h-cycling-clubs.html

Good luck and have fun!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience with Amateur road racing in France? Need Advice! [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with previous comment that it's easiest to sign up with a local club/team to where you will stay in France.
However, I assume you already have a valid UCI licence from your federation? then I think you could sign up for most individual races as well (at least this is the case in Netherlands/Belgium). Just make sure that your international category is correct and search for races in these categories.
And not sure where in France you will be but if close to the Belgium border there will be a LOT of races/kermesses to choose from in flanders (esp. for elite) be prepared for some hard racing though because these races will typically have a lot of 2nd tier pro's and young talents lining up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some good stuff from the folks above.

UCI license for sure.

and you MIGHT need "papers" from USAC stating that you arent under any USADA bans and what not.

have fun over there.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know what area you are going to be in? Very much regional teams as opposed to trade teams.

Also to the above you will also need a medical certificate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be prepared for some HARD racing and to get shouted at if your cornering is less than stellar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know nothing on the topic, but figured I'd share this ~20 year old French song that uses bicycle racing as a metaphor for romance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmMgZn8kCfY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general racing in Europe is at a much higher level. I raced in Philly on a Cat 1-2 team that was very strong in the PA, NJ, Delaware region. One of the fast guys from the Bicycle Therapy team came with me to Europe and we raced a couple hard races there assigned to a specific team as guest racers. We mostly raced crits there and were hanging on for dear life, it was super hard. We then did a road race in Switzerland in the B category and got fully worked too. Altogether a very humbling experience. But all were friendly to us and amused by us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, i'm French and rider in an elite team. I'm 1st category approx the continental level in USA.

The main federation (FFC) have this classification :
World tour
Continental pro
Continental
1st category
2nd category
3rd category
Pass cyclisme

The races are with various category.
1st and 2nd ride together for race approx 150kilometers
2 and 3 can ride together (approx 100/120 kilometers)
1/2/3 sometimes (130kilometers)
and sometimes it's just 3rd category alone (100 kilometers)

The pass cyclisme is the lowest level with race approx 65 kilometers

I don't know your level and where you want to come in france.

Some zone are harder than other. Globaly the level is really high in Brittany and in Rhone Alpes (EST of the france).

I train some riders in each category and they have approx this power :

1st category to finish in a peloton :
160kilometer 4h15 2800m elevation
Watts avg 235w
NP 275w
64 kg

2nd category to finish in the peloton
Same power but during 3 hours

3rd category
approx the same during 2h15/2h30

You start in 3rd category or pass cyclisme and you increase each year or during year if you are too strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience with Amateur road racing in France? Need Advice! [vinssout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all the responses.
Quote Reply