Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have any thoughts on the Merlin C110 road bike?
Quote | Reply
Did a search here and even googled it and can’t find a review of the Merlin C110 anywhere.

Currently, I only have a mountain bike. This is my second season in tri – just a couple of sprints last year but working my way up to Ironman. Eventually, I’d like to get a tri bike too but I’d like to start off with a road bike as I also like to do the Saturday club ride and local centuries. I know what some of you are going to say, “Just get the tri bike now!”, but I’d like to go road bike first.

I’m 40 years old but feel much older, have a fused C5-6-7 and not a speck of natural athletic ability so I’d like to be in as powerful a position as my body will allow without forsaking all comfort as I won’t be standing on any podiums even if I were allow to enter as a W70-74.

I went into my local bike shop for a fitting thinking that I would walk out with a Trek Pilot 5.0. The shop I trust the most, is the only one with a full time fitter, and works the most with the local tri community, sells Trek, Lemond, Merlin and QR.

Lemond wasn’t a good fit. Rode a Trek Madone SL 5.2 because I wanted to try carbon but they didn’t have a Pilot in my size. Loved the feel of the Madone but it was a little out of my price range and I was also a little worried about how my surgically repaired neck would feel after a long ride on a bike that seemed to have such a low head tube so the shop guy recommended the Merlin. Couldn’t ride it as they only had the frames displayed but they have the frames on sale and said they could build one up with 105 and it would be less than the Madone. It was also recommended that I wait for the ’07 Treks to be delivered in the next few weeks and see if I like the Pilot better or any of the other new Treks.

Any thoughts on the carbon Merlin? Anyone have one? Anyone know how the frame compares to Trek’s OCLV?

Sorry for the most rambling first post ever!

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any thoughts on the Merlin C110 road bike? [OnYourRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" have a fused C5-6-7"

I can't comment on the Merlin since I'm totally unfamiliar with the brand.

What you are looking for is a bike with a geometry that puts you in a higher but powerful and comfortable riding position that will minimize strain on your neck. This means a bike with a taller than normal head tube that will sit you a little bit more upright.

A number of companies are realizing that baby boomers or even many 40 somethings fall into this catagory and are currently addressing this problem. I'm 54 and figure this will be a major consideration on my next road bike.

The Trek Pilot will do this since the geometry has a taller head tube and sits you a bit more upright. Also check out the Lemond OCLV/steel bike but try a size smaller than normal due to the slightly longer top tubes on Lemonds. The OCLV/steel geometry is identical to the to the top of the line OCLV/titanium Tete de Course except that the head tube is 1.5 cm taller. The carbon/steel Lemond might be a good choice for you. It butters the road bumps like no other bike I've rode. Discuss this again with the shop. Perhaps they didn't take this into consideration? It's amazing what bike shops sometimes don't realize. Perhaps they were right, but it's worth a second look.

Two other bikes to look at are the Specialized Roubaix Pro and the carbon version Giant OCR. Both these bikes also have geometries similiar to the Trek Pilot. Your LBS may not carry Specialized or Giant but these are common enough brands that a bike shop carrying them shouldn't be far away.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any thoughts on the Merlin C110 road bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response!

I was looking at the specs and the Merlin has and it looks like the Merlin has a 17.7cm head tube compared to the 17.3 for the Pilot and 21.5 for the Roubaix. So, I guess it's right in the ballpark. I was on a 58 on the Trek and a 57 on the Lemond but the Lemond never felt quite right. I think it was a Chambery(?). Not a Zurich. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any thoughts on the Merlin C110 road bike? [OnYourRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Softride and TitanFlex? Oh, and I presume this Merlin is Ti? No brainer - you get Ti over Trek.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any thoughts on the Merlin C110 road bike? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record, the Merlin is Carbon. I think it's the only carbon bike in their line.

Haven't considered the Softride or TitanFlex only because I've read so much about picking the shop you trust first and going with their recommendation and the shop I chose doesn't carry them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Record, the Merlin is Carbon. I think it's the only carbon bike in their line.

Haven't considered the Softride or TitanFlex only because I've read so much about picking the shop you trust first and going with their recommendation and the shop I chose doesn't carry them.
Seems to me that you should think first about your back...and your LBS can get either Softride or TitanFlex for you as neither have a huge buy in.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply