Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, while I am a grad student and could use the extra income... alas, the unused oxycodone won't make its way to the ST classifieds. ;)
I had mine removed because there was discomfort with any pressure over that region. Otherwise, it probably would've stayed.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [bradhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly, the surgeon said I can be back to full lifting 4 wks post-op... push ups, pull ups, etc. After the first surgery, I had to wait 12 wks. But only 4 wks this time! I'm trying to be good in the mean time. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [knova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a surgeon say to me ... if you fell on this shoulder, the plate and screws would hold. But you could break something in another place ... that we 4 weeks after the surgery upon viewing new xrays

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [SBR_bestgoodbad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The surgeon is right that the plate will hold up as long as the bone is healed. The problem is that it would cause a break either close to the sternum or to the end of the shoulder. These breaks are much more complicated to fix so it results in a more extensive surgery with a longer plate and more screws. This is a big reason some people choose to remove the plate. If it breaks again it will most likely be in the middle.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [knova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is pretty great news. How many screws did your surgeon use? My plate has 10 screws in it. I am not sure if that affects the recovery from removal or not, but I'd assume the less holes in the bone the better.

I had to take 3 months off of pretty much everything as well. I just had the surgery on March 2nd so I am still getting back into the hang of things. The nerve damage/numbness/pain is still kind of a drag. I am convinced the hardware is pinching or rubbing some things it shouldn't be and causing the symptoms I experience. It's going to be a long few months until I can get it all taken out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knova wrote:
Surprisingly, the surgeon said I can be back to full lifting 4 wks post-op... push ups, pull ups, etc. After the first surgery, I had to wait 12 wks. But only 4 wks this time! I'm trying to be good in the mean time. :)

Hope you are doing well, knova. Just checking back in on you and your status on the removal.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [bradhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my 2 wk recheck last week. I commented that there had not been much pain improvement thus far (granted, it wasn't that painful, even immediately post-op.... felt like a bad laceration with occasional bone pain, but it really hadn't improved much), and the PA who saw me commented that I would start to notice big improvements starting around the 3 wk mark. And I would say that in the last few days, I have started noticing less pain (3 wks yesterday). I have even done a couple short runs without something stuffed under the shoulder of my sports bra -- I'm sure this highly pertains to you. ;) I still have the ok to start lifting after next Wed, although I'm a little nervous to test it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that everything went well with your check up and you are now seeing improvements, knova.
Just remember when you start lifting again to go with low weight high reps for the first while. I am doing dumbbell only workouts so that I can try to even out the strength in both of my arms. Currently my operated side is still weaker but I think that is also because it is my non-dominant side and was weaker even before the injury. Once things balance out a bit more I will go to the bars and other machines.
Once again thanks for your input here. I will be having my plate taken out in the future and you have helped me prepare mentally for this operation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi knova,

How are things? Tip top shape after the removal now?

Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
Yes, doing pretty well now! Although, interestingly, there's still a little more sensitivity in that area -- like if someone grabs my shoulders, I really notice it. However, I haven't done anything about that, so maybe it's something that could be improved. I don't notice issues with the sports bra anymore (of high concern for you, ha!), except when I did my first 100 mile ultra a little over a week ago, I ended up stuffing a winter mitten under my sports bra to pad from that and the running pack strap.
But otherwise, I think I am good to go. I am still much happier having had the plate removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knova wrote:
Hey,
Yes, doing pretty well now! Although, interestingly, there's still a little more sensitivity in that area -- like if someone grabs my shoulders, I really notice it. However, I haven't done anything about that, so maybe it's something that could be improved. I don't notice issues with the sports bra anymore (of high concern for you, ha!), except when I did my first 100 mile ultra a little over a week ago, I ended up stuffing a winter mitten under my sports bra to pad from that and the running pack strap.
But otherwise, I think I am good to go. I am still much happier having had the plate removed.

Hey there! Thanks for replying. I guess the sensitivity has to do with the superficial skin nerves just taking their time to full regenerate. I have that right now and I am 7 months post op getting the plate put in. It doesn't bug me too much unless I put a heavy strap over it or someone grabs my shoulders. I am hoping it will be less severe once the hardware is out. I am not looking for perfection, just improvement. Thankfully I do not wear a bra! Haha...

Glad to hear you are still very happy with the decision. What are the things that make you much happier having the plate removed? Can you describe the positive differences to me? I am trying to figure out which symptoms of mine are hardware related and which ones will stick around afterwards.

On a side note, now that I am 7 months post op plate installation I am going quite hard. I am back in shape and working out 5 days a week. Much of my routine incorporates 50-60 lb dumbbells already and I am putting on the muscle that I had lost from the surgery. In fact, I think I may be the strongest I have ever been. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that my muscles are now in the right spot and they are not being crammed in together because of the deformed malunion I had.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I myself just recently had a metal plate put inside of me, due to the fact that I decided to ride out of a moving pickup truck going 40mph with my bmx bike, landing straight on my right clavicle. My collar bone had been broken in three places. The doctor strongly suggested for me to have surgery even though I am only 15, which normally means that when you're young, you heal without any problem. Though, I wanted the plate because I did not wish to have a bump on my right collar bone around that area. Also due to the fact that I wanted to make 100% sure that the bone would heal correctly. My age is during a time period of which growth is a factor, also stunting my growth is one without a doubt! The doctor then told me after my surgery that he had avoided the growth plate, thankfully. I have had the metal plate for 1 month and have felt little to no pain since two days after my surgery had taken place. Honestly, It doesn't feel weird at all to me whatsoever. The only way if I will get the plate removed is if it causes extreme pain, and if the military does not except me with a metal place, which I have already looked into. From what I have read they will accept me as long as it does not cause any issues whatsoever with any about the military. You typically don't see people my age getting a metal plate at all to be honest. Though, what must be done, is what must be done. I have also recovered extravagantly! I can easily do pushups without pain whatsoever, even pull ups without any problems. It just kind of annoys me how I can only do 9 pull ups when I was able to do 19 before. [over hand pull ups] I'll probably never have the plate removed unless absolutely necessary! Good day to all!
Last edited by: Lithiumx152: Oct 1, 13 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi knova,

I had a clavicle plate & 8 screws put in 28 months ago and have been having a lot of muscular pain: shoulder, neck and back (I have boulder size knots forming around my scapula on the same side as the plate). So, I am thinking about getting my plate taken out. I am signed up for a couple 70.3 triathlons this summer and am wanting to know how soon after you had the plate removed did you feel comfortable with competing? How soon did you go back to serious training? I am not sure if you have kids, if so - did you have any trouble carrying them & their gear around?

I appreciate you sharing the knowledge gained from your experience, Desarae
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Desarae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the pain that you have been having. While I am not an MD, based on my own experience, that widespread pain, for me, has been more related to imbalances in muscular use and scar tissue related to the trauma itself. That being said, regarding your questions, I began running within 20 hours of the surgery -- probably not wise, but the physician team said that I could if I *really* wanted to do so. I did a 3.5 hour trail run 3 days after surgery. The area generally felt sore like a recent laceration feels sore. I did occasionally have bone pain, but most discomfort was from the incision. I was instructed not to lift anything for 4 weeks because the holes from the screw removal are points of weakness. I lifted (pull ups, push ups, dips, etc) exactly 4 weeks post-op without issue. However, I tried to ride my TT bike on the trainer about 1 week post-op, and being in the aero position was a bad idea! (It hurt!) And the last the main tri-associated constraint is swimming. I was instructed not to let the incision site be exposed to lake water until it was healed.
I focused on ultramarathons this summer so I can't give you a direct answer on racing triathlons, but I would guess 5-6 weeks post-op because of swimming and aero position cycling.
This all being said, remember that everyone heals differently! After my first surgery when my clavicle was plated, I read on ST and other sites about typical recovery and return to training. I figured I'd be back to race shape in 8 weeks. But, I wasn't even really training yet by 8 weeks, much less racing. But flipping to the second surgery, I was training very hard (and could have done a running race) within 3 days, and this surprised almost everyone.
Best thing is to talk with your surgeon and be optimistic but be ready to change your plan if need be (just like we have to with triathlon race day plans!). Good luck and best wishes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just realized I never replied to your questions.
The overall positive aspect is not having the extreme sensitivity. I do still have some sensitivity. I did a lot of lifting this fall, and I discovered things like front squats bother that area. However, I do not think I could have attempted a front squat with the plate in. Metal is harder than bone, and so anything that compressed the skin against the metal was painful.
I also had noticed cold sensitivity with the plate.
Lastly, I could sense the plate was there whenever I moved my shoulder. I would basically describe it as a constant low-grade "annoyance" and an occasional (albeit frequent) high pain.
I hope this helps some, if you have not already had the hardware removed!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by nCantalupo [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [LegendRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Legend, I have a clavicle issue, wondering if you have a sec to give me some advice.

I have a 6 inch plate with 7 screws... been in for 6 years now, I'm 23.

I want to have it removed but I'm worried about having 7 holes in the bone making it like a honeycomb or swiss cheese.

How large was your clavicle hardware, and have you had followup xrays to show whether the holes have filled in over time yet?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott guy, I have a clavicle issue, wondering if you have a sec to give me some advice.

I want to have it removed but I'm worried about having 7 holes in the bone making it like a honeycomb or swiss cheese.

How large was your clavicle hardware, and have you had followup xrays to show whether the holes have filled in over time yet?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sam, I have a clavicle issue, wondering if you have a sec to give me some advice.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [nCantalupo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The plate that held my clavicle together was approximately 5 inches long and had 6 screws. According to the dr., the healed collarbone is actually stronger than the other one and, yes, the holes are "filled in."

My question is whether or not you can remove the hardware after six years. The bone grows around it and makes removal more complicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [LegendRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LegendRider wrote:
The plate that held my clavicle together was approximately 5 inches long and had 6 screws. According to the dr., the healed collarbone is actually stronger than the other one and, yes, the holes are "filled in."

My question is whether or not you can remove the hardware after six years. The bone grows around it and makes removal more complicated.

I am pretty sure it can still be done, but it can possibly be a bit trickier for the surgeon. If the bone has grown around the plate then he will have to remove that too. I've had my plate in for a year now and I asked my surgeon if it's okay to leave it in for another half a year so that I don't have any downtime for this summer. He said it doesn't really matter when I do it, but I think he assumed I wouldn't wait 6 years too.

Most days I am not bothered by the plate. There are other days when it is a pain in the ass though. My shoulder feels very strong and stable, in fact it may be stronger than the non-operated side since I went straight from PT to the gym and put so much of my focus on getting strength back there that I think I built it up stronger than the other side. Sometimes I wake up with a dull tooth ache type pain and it is just sort of a discomfort more than anything. I am looking forward to getting it removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 months after surgery my neighbor decided to have the screws removed from her collar bone. She fell working on her garden and de fractured it. The bone is supposed to be stronger after the break but for some reason hers was not. Now she is having issues with the bone healing properly. She's in her early 40s, fit and very active. The doctors can figure out why her collar bone is not healing.

A buddy of mine is a cat1 racer and is keeping his in. He had the surgery 3 months ago. His doc told hi that if it does not bother him than keep it in. Why risk another surgery.

Good luck with your decision and hope it works out for you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next