Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my clavicle in the fall of 2004. The Ti plate and 8 screws are still in there and not causing any issues. A couple years back I was feeling a bit of irritation of the skin directly over the plate and when I had it checked out, my doc told me to wait and see if it was just some general inflammation. Waited a bit and everything is fine now.

I think the only way it would come out at this point (8 years later) is if it started causing me serious issues. For the first couple of years it REALLY hurt if accidentally "bumped" on the skin directly over the plate...which with little kids around the house was fairly often. Ouch. Now though, it's not anywhere near as sensitive.

Yeah, if it was clear stuff was loose, I'd probably ask for it to be removed as well. The only reason the plate was put in there in the first place was because my break was so messed up (3 pieces, one turned sideways, overlapping ends, etc.)

Just thought I'd share...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, guys. I guess I'll update this as well....after my surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broke mine in a bike crash 8 months ago. Had surgery for Ti plate and 7 screws 10 days after. Loose butterfly fragment made a natural healing a no-go. I was back on the bike outdoors after a couple of weeks and racing after 6.

For the slender builds us athletes typically, have it's normal for the plate to be visible through the skin. I can see mine, feel each screw, and feel the bone over-build at both fracture locations. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but I do get the occasional seatbelt rub, or rub from a shoulder bag.

At this point I plan to have the plate out next fall (total of 18 months post surgery). My only concern is the nerve damage associated with the surgery. I lost a lot of feeling in the skin surrounding the incision from the first surgery. You learn to live with it, but it's a little freaky. Curious what the second incision will do for any long-term healing in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my collar bone in September of 2011. I got plated up 5 days after my accident and managed to be back on my bike about a week after surgery (may not be recommended). The doctor said that I could pretty much do what I wanted except fall off my bike again since now the weakest link was the 10 screws and titanium plate. I was out of my sling in about 2 days post surgery and worked hard to regain my mobility. All went well and I actually completed a 70.3 two months after my fall with a not too bad of a swim :)

Now, I got my plate and screws removed last Friday (3days ago). I am feeling pretty good but this surgeon, (long story short, I was away in Australia for a year when I broke my collar bone and had my surgery, I am now back at home in Canada) wants me in a sling for 2 weeks :S... I didn't challenge him on this and I'm not sure if it's because he feels the bone is now weak due to the holes left by the screws and needs time solidify or just so the incision heals well. Thought any one ? All I know is that if I am really stuck in this sling for 2 weeks I might go crazy !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Nic_Courv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The nerve damage scares me because its pretty miserable. It constantly nags at you. . I am also very concerned about having nerve damage.

I don't know why you need to be in a sling for so long but you're exactly correct in that the reason you need to decrease your usage of your arm is because your collarbone is extremely weak with all those holes in it. . It's okay after you have the initial surgery and the plates and screws put into your arm to then return to exercise activities very quickly. . After the plate and screws are put in the real danger is just having cracks around those areas are having them fall out. I personally think that my body rejected the screws and refuses to heal until they're taken out. But I'm definitely planning on having between four and six months of mental activity in order to allow for full healing to occur. . I really haven't done much with my shoulder since I had surgery one half years ago and I haven't had a problem with losing any range of motion or frozen shoulder or anything like that. But it can happen and it's terrible if it actually does happen to do everything you can to avoid it without increasing your injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an additional problem that I need help with which is that I'm resistant to pain killers. After my first collarbone surgery I was given Percocet. When that didn't work I was ultimately put on a very high dosage of the dilauded both an oral and intravenous form Until I was released from hospital. I didn't like the Dilaudid and stopped taking it after about three days because it made me feel like I'm suffocating.

Can anyone recommend some pain management solutions that I can recommend to or discuss with the physicians for the surgery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
I have an additional problem that I need help with which is that I'm resistant to pain killers. After my first collarbone surgery I was given Percocet. When that didn't work I was ultimately put on a very high dosage of the dilauded both an oral and intravenous form Until I was released from hospital. I didn't like the Dilaudid and stopped taking it after about three days because it made me feel like I'm suffocating.

Can anyone recommend some pain management solutions that I can recommend to or discuss with the physicians for the surgery?

The initial pain related to getting the plate and screws out was not as bad as having them put in (at least in my case). I vaguely remember waking up in the recovery room after my first surgery screaming in pain and this time around for the removal there was almost no pain even though the surgeon had a hard time taking some of the screws out because he said the screws that were used to affix the plate were not all the same and he didn't have the proper tool to take some of them out, he actually had to break the head off of one and just left it in the bone. Anyways, I was prescribe Tynlenol #3 (acetaminophen and codeine) but I hardly took any after the first day, I just took some regular Advil (Ibiprofen) and now 5 days after surgery I am completely off medication.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. The ortho surgeon who did my plate from a 2010 break put the plate under the collarbone with the screws pointing upwards. I think that I can feel one of the 7 screws, but that's it. My break was pretty far outboard on the collarbone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Form me coming out was a breeze compared to going in. I would take them out without hesitation.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCOTTinNJ wrote:
Form me coming out was a breeze compared to going in. I would take them out without hesitation.

I cannot tell you guys how great it is to hear that it's better coming out. Holy crapola it hurt going in!

I have to be at the hospital at 530am tomorrow and my car battery is dead. Just another day in the life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The above is probably the most sketchy thing I've ever written.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far, having the plate taken out of my shoulder has been phenomenally good. I never really needed much in the way of pain killers. This is so much better than having the plate put in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear, are you able to do any basic ROM exercises just yet?

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not even in a sling. But obviously I have to wait for the wounds to heal--externally and internally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're doing well. My experience was exactly like yours. Surgery and recovery when the plate went in was awful and I was terrified about surgery/recovery when it came out. It ended up being so easy and pain-free it was almost a non-event.

I hope that continues to be true for you too.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:
Glad to hear you're doing well. My experience was exactly like yours. Surgery and recovery when the plate went in was awful and I was terrified about surgery/recovery when it came out. It ended up being so easy and pain-free it was almost a non-event.

I hope that continues to be true for you too.

Same here. Other than dealing with the stitches and PRE-surgery anxiety, it was a non-event.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having the hardware removed is flat out awesome. I already am feeling better! I'm pretty sure that there was minimal nerve damage. I feel like I can do anything again! Obviously I'm resting and letting it heal properly, but I just wanted to let people know how it went.

I wouldn't call the surgery super easy. I was under for 45 minutes. But the comparison between hardware in and out is dramatic. Going in: horrible regretful, miserable pain that wasn't relieved by anything. Out: a couple Motrin felt excessive. I am extremely surprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Sam,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I would love an update on your status. I hope your clavicle held up strong after plate removal and you are still doing great. I had a plate installed on my clavicle 3 months ago and I plan to have it removed later this year so I would love to hear the long term results of the procedure. The plate and screws I have seem to be causing a fair deal of problems already which is probably a result of my thinner body frame and I cannot wait to take the hardware out!

Thanks,

Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [toecutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
and 'hook' inserted to stabilise the joint

When they break out the hook you know you really f*cked it up.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you were a jock? okay, i must know. what's more extreme. what's the bigger adrenalin rush? aboard a horse or aboard a motorcycle? so far, i actually think it's the horse. because you have to contend with what the horse decides it might want to do. but, you are more the expert. so, which is it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you were a jock? okay, i must know. what's more extreme. what's the bigger adrenalin rush? aboard a horse or aboard a motorcycle? so far, i actually think it's the horse. because you have to contend with what the horse decides it might want to do. but, you are more the expert. so, which is it?

Damn spellcheck, not "Jockey" but ""Hockey". Way too fat to be a Jockey. Although I've ridden horses, never at the intensity of a race, just your usual trail ride and an occasional gallop. And while a horse can make its own decisions, a tank slapper can be pretty exciting when it happens - especially your first.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [bradhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone who had their plate taken out a long time ago that can chime in on here? I am wondering the long term prognosis as I will be having this operation in the fall this year.

I'm wondering what kind of issues it resolved as well. I appear to be having nerve related issues 3 months post op (some burning pain still and odd sensations). Most people report numbness which I have but that doesn't bother me... It's the ultra sensitivity around the site that even clothing aggravates and the come-and-go nerve pain associated with it. I am thinking it is related to the hardware and how it affects the soft tissue. The edge of my plate closest to my chest sticks up quite a bit and there isn't much skin covering it at all. It appears bruised sometimes too.
Last edited by: bradhere: Jun 5, 13 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had the plate removed from their broken collarbone? [bradhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still feel tenderness on the bones but I feel so much better (as recited above). Get it done and don't look back. However, I will say that I waited miserable months until my bones were definitely fused and healing before removing my plate. My surgeon claims that he tried to test it when I was out and it was solid. I'm not sure that was a good thing or not, but I haven't really had many problems since taking it out other than minor pain when I wear a backpack or something along those lines. I still would not want to sling a messenger bag over my shoulder. But I'm pretty sure it could take it, I'm just scared about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Sam. I know you said that some of your screws had pulled out of the bone which I am assuming must have contributed to your discomfort. I just had a CT scan and my plate and screws are all in tact but I am still quite bothered by it. The scan revealed that the bone has united but my doctor wants to wait 9 months before removing it. I am edging in on 4 months post op and part of me wants to tell him to yank it out now but I suppose that isn't that best idea. I just want my shoulder to feel normal again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next