Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story?
Quote | Reply
Marathon Investigation just put up analysis of his world record setting Phoenix marathon: https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...marathon-result.html

This comes on the heels of his race at LA Marathon (another record breaking performance). https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...aking-marathons.html

Of course, Let's Run is all over this too. https://www.letsrun.com/...d.php?thread=9307635
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy appears to have become really good at hitting the mats at just the right time after learning from a couple dq's and a ban based on impossible splits at CIM. Without the abundance of photos and video and people like Derek and folks on letsrun willing to comb through it in detail, matching splits with other runners, etc. he would be getting away with this now.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well there goes my day lol
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Screw reading the Mueller Report. I'm heading to lets run right now.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could read Crime and Punishment, I could read Life and Fate, I could read War and Peace.

But I chose to read every page of the Frank Meza cheating thread on Letsrun.

Every page.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy appears to have become really good at hitting the mats at just the right time

Yeah, that took some planning. RD's might need to start randomizing timing mat placement. I wonder if he used the timing mat placement from the previous year or if it's in the race info or if he drove the course before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

59 pages? There goes a couple of days

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I'm old enough to remember that guy from Philly a few years ago that cheated to BQ. that was a crazy long thread on letsrun.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I'm old enough to remember that guy from Philly a few years ago that cheated to BQ. that was a crazy long thread on letsrun.

Mike Rossi wasn't that long ago

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I've been a lurker on all the epic cheater threads over the years: Kip Litton, Rossi, Robert Young, Dave Reading, Alex Viada, Parvaneh/Larry, and other minor ones. I usually start out willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but then turn when evidence accumulates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derek caught him dead to rights. I had been HIGHLY skeptical of his times all along wondering what PEDs the dude was taking, but in the end it turned out he was just another course cutter. Doesn't matter the age, sex, professional or non-professional status; but all sport is chock full of cheaters looking for whatever measure of glory they need to try and fill the bottomless hole in their psyche.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Sean H wrote:

challenge accepted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Derek caught him dead to rights.

False. The LR sleuths wrapped this up in a nice bow for Derek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just killed a few hours over on LR...

I'm surprised that more cheating like this hasn't happened - methodical planning, cross the mat whenever it is the right time, hop back in the car. I think it's interesting that more participants don't see something is up and say something.

Courses really do need a random split or two, camera, whatever, to help this issue. I think a random split would really do the trick. Maybe two back to back like 50 yards apart. That way you can't use the "it must have missed me" excuse.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it also comes down to people not reporting strange/unusual circumstances. i watched two people swap a bib at raleigh 70.3 a few years ago. they were slow, so i chalked it up under "don't really care" but i should have made some sort of report/inquiry. even just to establish a circumstance worth investigating should questions arise over that bib's result.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GPS has hiccups and failures, but maybe start making timing chips with built in GPS. Then, if there's ever a discrepancy......just pull up the GPS track.

That wouldn't prevent chip/bib swaps, but you couldn't cut at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
GPS has hiccups and failures, but maybe start making timing chips with built in GPS. Then, if there's ever a discrepancy......just pull up the GPS track.

That wouldn't prevent chip/bib swaps, but you couldn't cut at that point.

But not so often that a single person should have repeated missed mats. Of course that's not the case with Mr. Meza, but in other high profile cheating cases it was one missed mat after another, or the same missed mat in the same race, different years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Haha, mine too.

I liked this statement from a Frank supporter on page 2: "when you are a fast runner, the mats don't always pick up on the chips"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Haha, mine too.

I liked this statement from a Frank supporter on page 2: "when you are a fast runner, the mats don't always pick up on the chips"

That is a true statement, if you can outrun radio waves all kinds of problems can happen...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i think it also comes down to people not reporting strange/unusual circumstances. i watched two people swap a bib at raleigh 70.3 a few years ago. they were slow, so i chalked it up under "don't really care" but i should have made some sort of report/inquiry. even just to establish a circumstance worth investigating should questions arise over that bib's result.

Virginia Plain & I know of a mother/daughter team of serial bib swappers; they like to run together so if one gets shut out when the race fills up, they other will go online to buy her way in - even if there is no transfer policy. She says "I always take the chip out, so I don't mess up the results"

I forget whether it was here or someplace else where someone was in the corral, waiting for the start and overheard a dude telling his friend "there's a little loop at mile something, so we can cut across there" It was probably at Disney

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Sean H wrote:

Haha, mine too.

That is a true statement, if you can outrun radio waves all kinds of problems can happen...

hahaha best joke on this thread, so far...

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
He can't have been cheating, he doesn't have double letters. /pink
I thought double letters was for doping?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
This guy appears to have become really good at hitting the mats at just the right time

Yeah, that took some planning
. RD's might need to start randomizing timing mat placement. I wonder if he used the timing mat placement from the previous year or if it's in the race info or if he drove the course before the race.

you've got to ask yourself what the hell your life has come to when you're planning this stuff out. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone following the Frank Meza alleged cheating story? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
beachedbeluga wrote:
He can't have been cheating, he doesn't have double letters. /pink

I thought double letters was for doping?

First isolated in 2015 with regards to course cutters [Litton, Rossi, Miller], in a thread about a bib-swapper

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5755921#p5755921

It has since been used to ID course cutters, selfie-bandits, bib-swappers/mules/copiers

Dopers only occasionally fall into the protocol [in fact, I can't think of one off the top of my head who does]

Quote Reply

Prev Next