Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone familiar with the Skylands Triathlon in NJ?
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to determine the proper gearing for the bike this weekend. Someone suggested that a 23 or 25 is appropriate for the hill on the course. Anyone have any other feedback? Thanks in advance.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone familiar with the Skylands Triathlon in NJ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken:

It's a sprint distance race. You'll deal with more wind than the hills. But seriously, I wouldn't worry about your gearing for this race. Just stick on the 23 (or what you've been training on)and ride.

I rode the course comfortably with a 56 tooth big ring on the front and only shifting thru the 14 - 16. Have you done any other races in NJ?

Graz
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone familiar with the Skylands Triathlon in NJ? [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year, I've done the Sunrise Run-Bike-Run in Long Branch (2nd 45-49), the Lighter Than Air Duathlon in Lakehurst (1st 45-49), and the Monmouth Sprint Triathlon in Long Branch (9th overall). Total elevation gain in the three bikes: about 10 feet.

I find it hard to believe that you or anyone could comfortably do the hill on the Skylands course in a 56-16, unless you have 650 wheels or smaller. But it's been a decade since I rode the course, and that was not as part of the race.

My choices are 12-21 or 12-25 (I'd miss the 16T, probably).

Ken Lehner

P.S. Is your name Chuck?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone familiar with the Skylands Triathlon in NJ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken:

Well done..in a tough age group. I'm not Chuck. my name is Francis Graziano (25-29). I've done a few races this season in Jersey. My last race was DQTri at Marlton Lakes. It was a sprint, but man...what a great course. I highly recommend for next year as a train thru. Got 5th overall..:-)

I actually did a training ride on the course back in July. My Tri bike is geared with a 56-44 / 11-23. It took me a full season and weight training to be able to turn that and I still think it is a little bold for me. BUt yes, I've got 650's and rode the hill out of the saddle. I vote for the 12-25. It's good to know it's there. I just love the 16.

FYI - I recall the first 1/3rd of that course being quite windy. Maybe it was just the day I was riding. Good luck. There will be some good tri folk there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francis,

I did the DQ Tri way back in its first year ('92 or '93, I think), when it was called the Try the Du/Do the Tri, and both groups competed for the same overall! Loops around a river, if I recall correctly, followed by an out-and-back across the river.

As for Skylands, I've already identified my three main competitors, and the fastest swimmer (by far) in the age group. I plan on getting to know *his* feet very well on Sunday!

Thanks for the input.

Ken Lehner

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got it! That's the key. Triathlon is a thinking man's sport! Take advantage of your resources.

Have fun! Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graz or others,

I'm gonna try and register for a spot in the race on Saturday. Is the course too hilly or windy for a trispoke/disk combination? Its been pretty windy lately and I think it might rain. Would you (or anyone else) mind giving me some advice as to which wheels to ride at Skylands? It'll be my first time there.

Here are my wheel options:
  1. Hed Alps front.
  2. Hed Apls rear.
  3. Trispoke front.
  4. Trispoke rear.
  5. Renn disk rear.
  6. Rolf vector front (training).
  7. Rolf vector rear (training).

I'm 175 lbs and I can manage the trispoke in the wind just fine. I'm usually a strong enough biker to be within the top 5% to 10% of the bike leg in a sprint distance race. Don't ask about the swim or run Frown. I'm working on that. Sly

Thanks for any help you can offer.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone familiar with the Skylands Triathlon in NJ? [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bail ont he rolf's for this race. I think that the disc will be your best bet. I've ridden my disc in ALL of my races this season, regardless. No matter if the course was hilly or windy. I am 160 lbs and use a 404 front and the 909 disc rear. That is my favorite combo.

If you use the disc, you might want to go for the Alp up front. My thought is that using a Hed3 front with a disc on that course might be a bold move. Especially if it is windy. If the wind is going to pick up and you feel unstable, then my second choice would be the Alp's upf front with the Hed3 in the back. If i had to chose right niow, I'd say go with the disc and Alp's up front. Remember, there is a sail effect with a disc so it is still quite fast in the wind.

BTW - nice arsenal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Skylands last year, and rode the course again last weekend. I have a 53-39 and 11-23, and I was fine. The one hill (about midway through) was a bit tough to spin up, and I decided to stand for a bit, but it is doable. (Who wants to sit down the whole time anyway!). If you prefer to REALLY spin going up, you likely will want the 25 cog. If you don't mind spinning a lower cadence for a short time, the 23 will do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graz,

I think you're right. Alps front and Disk rear is what I was leaning towards. Especially being that it's my fist time on this course. I like using the trispoke front a lot but I think I'll give it the day off. I can always use the trispoke next year. I'll have it standing by just in case though. Wink When I try out different wheel options, the Hed Alps rear always seems to lose out. I'm thinking, it might be time to find it a new home.

BTW, if you spot a blue TitanFlex with Oval aerobars and a Renn disk with a yellow rear tire on it, that's me. Feel free stop by and say hello. That also goes for any of you who'll be there on Sunday. Have a great race!

Thanks,

Orlando

E-Z

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The DQ Marlton Tri / Du replaces the Tri the Du, Do the Tri, but NOT the same race or location...The latter was in Cooper River Park just outside Camden NJ...The DQ race is in Marlton Lakes in Marlton NJ...Totally different venue.

Lot's of other great races in Southern NJ (in date order):
Ocean City Tri, Cape May Tri, Thundergust Tri, Sunset Sprint, Lake Lenape Tri, Vincentown Tri, Stone Harbor Tri, Brigantine Island Tri, Jersey Genesis Tri, DQ Marlton Tri.

Look these websites for details:
www.lin-mark.com
www.lmsports.com
www.compuscore.com
www.trifind.com
www.cooltri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone familiar with the Skylands Triathlon in NJ? [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean about the Alps rear. Since I've been racing with my disc, I have not even used my rear 404 because the disc is just so much better. But it is good to have it on stand by.

Unfortunatly, I won't be racing this weekend. I have to work Saturday all day. :-( I'll be in VA, Beach for my last race of the season on the 21st in the Sandman Tri.

Have fun! A word on that hill. It's really not a monster hill by no means. I would keep it in a small ring and spin up and keep your HR low going up it. Then HAmmer when you get to the top. Avoid the spike in HR going up. So many people burn up going up. Hammer home and you'll drop a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the climbing tip. Some guys tell me that I've got to learn to pace myself better up hills. Had you not warned me about keeping my heart rate low, I know I would have done exactly the wrong thing I would've let my HR get too hig by trying to hammer up the hill, and paid for it on the run. That's usually what happens to me. I've got lots to learn. I'd like to be more than just fast on the bike.

Good luck in your race in VA!

E-Z

Quote Reply