Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever try to make their own titanflex?
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of buying the boom from Titanflex and trying to attach a mechanism on my softride frame that would allow me to attach it (like the titanflex). Anyone ever try that? The Softride frame seems so much more aero and it would save money. It seems like a simple procedure. Thoughts? Tom?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever try to make their own titanflex? [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were about the hack the seat tube off your bike. Now I'm disappointed.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't sound that simple to me.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts? Just one

(I'm pretty sure) you've posted a few times about Titanflex; just order one already. I'll be in NYC early March for a wedding so I can take it for a spin and see if I bought the wrong tri bike (hopefully will have it ordered and delivered by then). I'm assuming you're in nyc. Just kidding about the test ride, unless you're gracious to let me :)

In my mind it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Assuming there isn't a catastrophic failure, isn't the boom on each bike pretty 'engineered' and specific for that bike? Wouldn't you need to modify the length of the boom to compensate for the change of material and dampening abilities?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in 1992 I posed this exact suggestion to Softride. Having filed for a patent on my TitanFlex design I suggested a joint venture to improve the art of road bike suspension technology. When they saw my bike on the opposite page of theirs in a Nyto catalog five year later they finally responded with a letter demanding that I cease production.

I concluded that Softride thought is was cheaper to sue me than to engineer my titanium booms into their frames. How ironic that THEY ceased production ten years later.

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever try to make their own titanflex? [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, do you think its possible to put a TF boom on a SR frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever try to make their own titanflex? [Dave G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes--with a good dose of engineering attention and fabrication resources--it would be possible. However, I think the exercise would end up costing more than one of my frames.

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Quote Reply