Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone done D2R2?
Quote | Reply
Signed up for the 180k. I think I'm going to use my mountain bike for comfort as I'm not too concerned with my finish time. If you've done it, what were was your experience like? I'm guessing the suffering is similar to Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done D2R2? [guy2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search on the Velocipede Salon -- many forum users there have done the ride.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it 7 or 8 times, have used a FS mtb a couple times, other times a cross bike. Mtb was great for easier gearing on some of the ridiculously steep (and loose/gravelly) climbs, and for some of the tricky descents. I now have a cx bike with similar gearing though, which I prefer. There are some paved sections where you'll appreciate a more road-capable bike. The suffering is sort of what you make of it, it's a long day regardless. You've got some tough climbs towards the end (like Patten Hill), if you're struggling before that, ugh watch out! :-). It's a great event, very well supported (lunch stop and all the other aid stations).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done D2R2? [fzzl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fzzl wrote:
I've done it 7 or 8 times, have used a FS mtb a couple times, other times a cross bike. Mtb was great for easier gearing on some of the ridiculously steep (and loose/gravelly) climbs, and for some of the tricky descents. I now have a cx bike with similar gearing though, which I prefer. There are some paved sections where you'll appreciate a more road-capable bike. The suffering is sort of what you make of it, it's a long day regardless. You've got some tough climbs towards the end (like Patten Hill), if you're struggling before that, ugh watch out! :-). It's a great event, very well supported (lunch stop and all the other aid stations).

Thanks for the reply. Do you think you saved much time with the cx bike? I have a f/s mtb @ 25lbs outfitted with conti race king 2.2's. I'll probably lock out both to keep pedal bob down. It should be fun! I haven't done anything like this since VT 6 gap 9 years ago. It will be a nice change of pace from IM training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy2600 wrote:
Signed up for the 180k. I think I'm going to use my mountain bike for comfort as I'm not too concerned with my finish time. If you've done it, what were was your experience like? I'm guessing the suffering is similar to Ironman.

I've done it 4 times. All times I've done it were on my cx and gravel-type-bike. I think a mtn bike would definitely be overkill as the route is not rough at all - mostly smooth dirt. Gravel bike with 35mm slicks is a nice setup IMO - no tread needed.

It really is an awesome route - it rides like mtn bike terrain in terms of the nature of the hills - it up and down all day with almost no flat roads. The descents are so much fun as the roads were designed with horse and carriage as the mode of travel - so that means nice sweeping downhills. There is a A LOT of climbing though over the day.

You'll love it.

I never really compared times, always approached it as a fun/training day with friends vs. a race, but I bet it's not a huge difference b/w mtb/cx. I actually remember one year going up Patten Hill with a guy on a road bike/road gearing, and I had my mtb (a ~23lb FS, so pretty light), and I dropped him pretty hard just because of the gearing I had, he could barely turn his cranks. I think one of the climbs (Archambo?) has a ~25% incline. Rode last year with a friend who had a cx bike with not great gearing and he had a hard time. So I guess my answer is, choose your gearing wisely, that's the main thing. I've done it with a 40/28-32 (1x11) but that's tough. I now run a 40/42 which is MUCH better, and you'll still find yourself in the 42 quite a bit.

With the mtb though, I did swap out my usual tires (maxxis ikons or ardent race) for some cx tires (currently have some schwalbe g-ones), you don't really need a grippy 2.2.
Quote Reply