Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone doing Pacific Grove Oly this weekend?
Quote | Reply

Anyone doing Pacific Grove Oly race Saturday? I am doing it for the first time and wonder what the course is like. I won't be able to get down there until pretty late Friday night so likely can't preview the course before dark. This will be my first multi-lap "crit-style" bike course. Will drafting be a problem? Given something like four laps of 6 miles I wonder if a road bike with short bars may be a better way to go? Any tips/hints much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Pacific Grove Oly this weekend? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not doing the race this year, but am familiar with the course. Drafting and crowding is an issue towards the back of the race. This race is a big TnT destination. If you are in one of the earlier age groups, it should be less crowded. As the race is not draft legal, I would ride whatever set-up you are used to racing on. The course is rolling and windy, but also incredibly scenic. With four laps, you are looking at 7 180-degree turns around cones on a two lane road. The course is essentially out and back on a 3 mile stretch of road. The section of road can be ridden in the aerobars as it is not too technical.

The swim is an interesting experience. You will swim through thick kelp beds. I would suggest a short warm-up to get used to clawing and slogging through the stuff. Run is flat except for one small hill (between Lover's Point and Monterey Bay Aquarium).
Quote Reply